As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NFL [FOOTBALL] - It BEGINS!!

1626364656668»

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah no ref is going to call that, thats fine

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it's more about using the facemask to drag and swing someone's head around that's dangerous (causing sudden trauma on the neck and spine that can be some nasty stuff). If it's just kind of shoving it away there's really no extra risk of physical harm

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You will very, very rarely see facemask called on the ball carrier. It is illegal, but usually stiffarms to the face are allowed if you have the ball. You will somewhat more frequently see it on a blocker. You'll also get a decent amount of "illegal hands to the face" on blockers.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah that's what I'm saying if a defender did that it would be OMG PENALTY but the ball carrier does it and it's okay?

LAME SAUCE.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lordswing wrote: »
    So Owen Daniels was dropped in my league, and I'm starting Chris Cooley right now. Thoughts on adding him? He was a top TE last season before going down to injury, but there's also the presence of Arian Foster who I assume will take away some production from Andre and potentially Owen.

If not Cooley, I would probably drop Maroney? (Spiller, Ward, Matt Cassel for 2 QB slots, TB Mike Williams, Gaffney and Peyton Hillis make up the rest of my bench).

i would probably drop cassel. hes a terrible, terrrrrrible backup qb, you can probably grab someone equally worthwhile whenever your bye is. i DO like cooley a lot this year though, especially after week 1. and im assuming ward is hines ward? not derrick ward? if its derrick, drop immediately. like... a week ago.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you have two QB slots, you need a second QB of some kind, so that's kind of moot

I'd probably drop maroney. Can't imagine he'll have much of a role in denver for the next few weeks, anyway

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't drop Cassel, the other FA options D: are Dennis Dixon who will be useless once Rapesburger returns, Matt Moore (maybe), Delhomme, Freeman, Trent Edwards, and Shaun Hill.

The second QB slot is an "offensive player" so I could get away with Hines or Spiller when Brady/Matty Ice go on their bye weeks, but I'd rather have some kind of safety valve for potential injuries.

I put in the waiver to drop Maroney after the consensus to pickup Daniels. I dislike carrying 2 TEs, but can't pass up a top 5 TE I guess.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I'm saying if a defender did that it would be OMG PENALTY but the ball carrier does it and it's okay?

LAME SAUCE.

They are trying to accomplish different things. The ball carrier is trying to push a guy away, the tackler is trying to pull a guy towards the ground. Pulling the facemask is more likely to cause badness than pushing.

big l on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow is Buffalo a college team? The spread against GB is 13.5. I know buffalo is bad, but normally you don't see these kinda spreads in the NFL. I've done a pickem league since HS with a lot of the same players, and this year we started doing the spread too. This week has so many points out there, its surprising.

Hell, the Giants are getting 6 points against Indy. And by last week NY is probably the better team right now. (Indy always gets off to slow starts)

My dolphins are playing the vikings, and i like their chances. The Vikings are 5.5 favorites, but I really like Miamis chances. I don't feel their young secondary is going to come into play. OFfensees are still a bit slow in week 2, and Favre and his recievers still haven't had much time to get on the same page. I know it was buffalo, but Miami's run D looked really good. If they can shut down Minnesota's running game, force favre to throw some of his pickable balls, I can see Miami getting off to an 2-0 start.

Man is their schedule kinda brutal for the next 5 games though. Henne really needs to put up some numbers I'm thinking to win this game. Should be a defensive battle. GO FINS!

Tommatt on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    big l wrote: »

LAME SAUCE.

They are trying to accomplish different things. The ball carrier is trying to push a guy away, the tackler is trying to pull a guy towards the ground. Pulling the facemask is more likely to cause badness than pushing.

Yeah probably. I do have a thing against an unfair bias towards protecting the offense and attacking the defense.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited September 2010
    big l wrote: »

LAME SAUCE.

Yeah probably. I do have a thing against an unfair bias towards protecting the offense and attacking the defense.

Well, we have to face it, as years continue to pass, there will be more and more an emphasis on protecting offensive players, and rules in their favor. I understand some of it, well, a lot of it from a physical safety issue. But lets look at not being able to hit a wideout whos defenseless. Basically contact cannot cause an incomplete pass anymore. And then I look at who I think was the best pure passer in the NFL, Dan Marino (Yes I'm a Miami fan. But even if I wasn't I belive I'd still think he was the best passer ever) would thrive with rules to protect him.

Dan Marino would have throw for 50 in a dome! (Movie quote I know I misquoted. Even googled it, couldn't find it to get it right :) )

Tommatt on
    edited September 2010

LAME SAUCE.

It's totally different, the rule exists to prevent defenders from pulling a ball carrier down via the helmet because twisting or jerking a dude's head around like that is super dangerous.

Just shoving a dude away from you, thats football.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Wow is Buffalo a college team? The spread against GB is 13.5. I know buffalo is bad, but normally you don't see these kinda spreads in the NFL. I've done a pickem league since HS with a lot of the same players, and this year we started doing the spread too. This week has so many points out there, its surprising.

Hell, the Giants are getting 6 points against Indy. And by last week NY is probably the better team right now. (Indy always gets off to slow starts)

My dolphins are playing the vikings, and i like their chances. The Vikings are 5.5 favorites, but I really like Miamis chances. I don't feel their young secondary is going to come into play. OFfensees are still a bit slow in week 2, and Favre and his recievers still haven't had much time to get on the same page. I know it was buffalo, but Miami's run D looked really good. If they can shut down Minnesota's running game, force favre to throw some of his pickable balls, I can see Miami getting off to an 2-0 start.

Man is their schedule kinda brutal for the next 5 games though. Henne really needs to put up some numbers I'm thinking to win this game. Should be a defensive battle. GO FINS!

Top 5 QB with something to prove, awesome receivers and a damaged running game, against one of the worst teams in the league? 13.5 is too low.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited September 2010

Top 5 QB with something to prove, awesome receivers and a damaged running game, against one of the worst teams in the league? 13.5 is too low.

I agree, but 14 points only happens in collge. I mean, even opening practice weekend with Div I schools, vs Div IB?, how often do they lose by 2 touchdowns plus a field goal?

I kkno buffalo sucks, green bay should be in the playoffs at least. But NFL players have pride, and the spread is kinda silly.

Tommatt on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I agree, but 14 points only happens in collge. I mean, even opening practice weekend with Div I schools, vs Div IB?, how often do they lose by 2 touchdowns plus a field goal?

I kkno buffalo sucks, green bay should be in the playoffs at least. But NFL players have pride, and the spread is kinda silly.

If it was later in the season there'd be higher spreads, but betters/Vegas are going to be more cautious Week 2. In Nov 07, the Pats were favored by 23.5 over the Eagles, 24.5 over the Jets and 20 over the Ravens while they were still just melting anyone in front of them. They won those games but didn't cover

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Singletary's digging a hole for his team.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to present to you Week 7 of the NFL last year Scores+Spreads+some ads

Colts -14 covers
    Pats -15.5 covers
    Packers -9.5 covers
    Eagles -9 covers
    Panthers -7 covers (vs. the Bills of course)
    Chargers -5.5 covers
    Jets -6 covers
    Saints -6 covers
    Dallas -5.5 covers
    Steelers -6 covers

The only significant favorite that lost was the Giants -9. The rest of the favorites covered quite comfortably.

2 more articles talking about "Black Sunday" for the books. For one week at least, squares everywhere destroyed the books. Moneylines, parlays, spreads all hit.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Pats are minus 15.5?

What the fuck?

JustinSane07 on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

hasn't Indy been like 11-0 in 7 of the last 9 seasons or whatever?
    or do you just mean in terms of how well they play overall vs. their ability

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pats are minus 15.5?

What the fuck?
    Pretty sure those are the lines from week 7 of last year.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2010
    Pats are minus 15.5?

What the fuck?

that was week 7 last season

they're -3 this week if i recall

beat'd

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited September 2010
    y2jake215 wrote: »

hasn't Indy been like 11-0 in 7 of the last 9 seasons or whatever?
    or do you just mean in terms of how well they play overall vs. their ability

How they play in terms to their over all ability. They have a great offense every year, but it never seems to be firing out the game. I know statistically the defenses have a leg up on offenses the first couple of weeks.
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Pats are minus 15.5?

What the fuck?

that was week 7 last season

they're -3 this week if i recall

beat'd

Yup -3 this week. I took the pats :)

Tommatt on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vivk Qbing vs the Lions

this will be the worst game ever

except maybe the Rams vs Raiders

nexuscrawler on
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vivk Qbing vs the Lions

this will be the worst game ever

except maybe the Rams vs Raiders

Would be amazing if Stafford was starting for the Lions.

Simjanes2k on
    edited September 2010
    there are going to be a lot of very fast people on the field

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    over under on DeSean Jackson's longest reception is at 27.5

I'm leaning under.

mrt144 on
  • mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I feel like I just fleeced this guy in my money league. I gave up Clinton Portis, who honestly never really had a shot at cracking my lineup. In return I got Vincent Jackson. Total Gamble, but if he does end up getting traded to a minnesota and playing later this year, that might be the move that puts me over the top in the playoffs.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so with Cutler and McNabb as my QBs in my non PA league I decided to roll the dice and pick up Vick this week. Mainly cause I don't trust McNabb yet and Cutler makes me cringe no matter who they play (and esp Dallas)

*crosses fingers*

Vesty on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vesty wrote: »
    so with Cutler and McNabb as my QBs in my non PA league I decided to roll the dice and pick up Vick this week. Mainly cause I don't trust McNabb yet and Cutler makes me cringe no matter who they play (and esp Dallas)

*crosses fingers*

In a similar situation, have Cutler and Kolb. Due to being out of state without internet access I couldn't get Vick.

Perhaps I'll grab Orton.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Orton as a fantasy QB, especially if their commitment to extending Royal's use continues.

zeeny on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In case anyone doesn't have it bookmarked, I think we haven't linked to the 506 yet this year

The Fox games suck this week.

Also, the Charger's home opener is blacked out. Pathetic

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And once again, CBS thinks North Carolina give a crap about the Redskins. Give me the Jets/Pats game, please.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What the hell's going on with the Fox map? Just totally random parts of the country getting Seahawks-Broncos. In particular, why am I GETTING THAT GAME?

hippofant on
    edited September 2010
    where do you live

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I'm in Auctionable Offenses, BrettFavreCockWatch, and I'm still looking for a top 20 wide receiver. Anyone is still on the board, although Philip Rivers would have to be traded for a reasonable replacement for the position.

Philip Rivers, Jahvid Best, Cadillac Williams, Knowshon Moreno, and Antonio Gates are all on the trade block. If you really want Santana Moss, Robert Meachem, or Johnny Knox, make me an offer.

Picardathon on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can understand trading Santana Moss, but Meach and Knox, not so much.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    And once again, CBS thinks North Carolina give a crap about the Redskins. Give me the Jets/Pats game, please.

Legacy from when it was the favorite team in NC before we got the Panthers I guess. From my time on the coast, I actually saw a lot more skins flags than panthers. I wonder how many of those people have their primary residence at those homes though, Nag's Head is pretty quiet in the off months.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    I can understand trading Santana Moss, but Meach and Knox, not so much.

But, you see, those are my receivers.

Let me put it this way: Santana Moss is the highest quality receiver on my team. If you want him, and think that you have a receiver of equal quality, please trade. If you have a receiver of higher quality and desire a higher quality RB or QB, then go ahead.

Basically, I have the shittiest WR's ever.

Picardathon on
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    where do you live

yikes, out of context this is kinda pedobear

Anyway. I want to see VandyBosh chasing down Vick all day. He isn't nearly as fast as The Dogkilling Basta... I mean Michael, but he IS patently insane. The Lions defense is actually pretty freaking solid, I wonder how they'll do with a revitalized Vick this week.

I don't think NFL day will compare to College Football day this week, but I'm interested to see what Detroit can do with their season basically over anyway against a question mark high-profile QB.

Simjanes2k on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Thread? Thread? Sometime before noon. And something funny.

20070814.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.