Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Buying used video card

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
My friend has a 4870 that he wants to sell me so he can upgrade to a new card. I'm never an early adopter, so I've been looking for a "new" card in the meantime anyways.

Right now, I have a BFG 8800GTX 1GB, so it would be a step up (I think). He's asking $100... can anyone give me their opinion on the price? Should I low-ball for $75 since it's used?

1ddqd on

• MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User
    edited April 2010
    A new 1 GB 4870 will run you about $150-$200 depending on deals and what-have-you.

The maker really matters here. If it's an XFX with a double lifetime warranty (original purchase gets a warranty, second hand sale gets the same warranty) - sure, grab it for $100, it's as good as new.

Otherwise... ehhh, maybe not.

• Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sapphire's a good brand, too, never had a problem with them through three cards.

9PZnq.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll confirm the brand with him. He's never registered it, so I may do that if it's a regular warranty.

• TehSlothTehSloth Looking for a girl who hates everything that I hate Except meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I'll confirm the brand with him. He's never registered it, so I may do that if it's a regular warranty.

That could be bad, a lot of them won't honor better warranties unless the original purchaser registered them within 30 days of purchase, and you're usually stuck with just a 1-year limited. It is definitely a step up, probably between 15-20%, if you've got something to do with the 8800 then I'd go for it, but otherwise see if you can talk him down to $75 :winky:

FC: 1993-7778-8872
    twitch.tv/tehsloth