The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Heavy Gear Blitz: Go Robots?

SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
I'm kinda interested in this game, and know next to nothing about it. I figured I would post some basic info about it, and then see if any of y'all want to talk about it. If it's a waste of space, feel free to yell at me.

Heavy Gear Blitz:
Plot: Set in on the planet Terra Nova, a planet that generally sucks. It has no oceans, and people are stuck either in the two poles, which form the major two super powers, or in "the Badlands" a land rich in resources and violence.
Normally the two poles fight each other, but it looks like Earth tried to take over again, so North and South formed an alliance against em.

Factions. (taken from the wiki site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear)
The North
The Northern Light Confederacy
Spoiler:
[edit]The Merchantile Federation
Spoiler:
[edit]The Western Frontier Protectorate
Spoiler:

The SouthThe Southern Republic
Spoiler:
The Mekong Dominion
Spoiler:
The Humanist Alliance
Spoiler:
Eastern Sun Emirates
Spoiler:

And the Badlands, plus the new factions
Peace River
Spoiler:
Port Arthur
Spoiler:
Rovers and independents
Spoiler:

Roolz (once again from the wiki)
Spoiler:

From what I've read (I have zero playing time) it sounds pretty simply. They turned it from a complex game to something really trimmed down and logical. Concentrated fire, bombing runs, electronic warfare...it's all there.

I suppose once I learn how I'll post some pics of the amazing looking mechs. I guess I'm just making this thread to see how many people play the game, and to maybe get some fun conversations out of it. If I've broken any rules, feel free to fix it, or take it down.

Svenska on
Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Funny thing.

I have the rules, bought two ~1000TV forces for the north and south.

Never played a proper game.

It looks really good, I like a lot of the concepts the rules introduced (like the TV/priority system), and I like the setting. Mechanically its like some sort of mashup between Battletech and Warmachine that feels right to me.

They've also released some new armies. They added the CEF proper, the Black Talons and Liberati (you might remember them from Heavy Gear 2), and just in the last couple of weeks, the planet Utopia.

zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuck yes, I love Heavy Gear. I haven't played the Blitz rules though. I absolutely adore the older iterations of the wargame and RPG, even though I haven't had very many opportunities to play both. There's nothing like painting a target with an Iggy and dropping a bunch of heavy mortar shots from a Cobra behind a hill.

If I could find opponents I'd grab the Blitz rules and pull out my Southern force in a second. I may try to get an RPG campaign together when I wrap up my WFRP game and pending Dark Sun game. Someday...

snm_sig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got a bunch of Southern and PRDF stuff lying around, they're very nice models but they tend to have atrocious mold line problems, to the point where it looks like the molds weren't lined up properly

The rules are good, the second edition of Blitz is much better than the first but there are still areas that are needlessly complex, target acquisition being the worst

Also this guy's stuff is a good way to sell people on the models

Do not have a cow, mortal.

3DS: 2251-4432-9039

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wow. Those make me want to dig up my models and have yet another painting project to slog through. Really amazing stuff.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They took an interesting route of separating the tactical game from the RPG and turning it into a more tournament-friendly ruleset. Aside from the places where Blitz streamlined things (namely damage) most everything seems compatible with the 2nd edition RPG rules, which I just found out they still release materials for.

zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could this be a game that we could play on vassal? I know the warmachine thread has games going on with it...too be honest though I have no idea how vassal works.

I've got some models headed my way, but besides my fiance, I'm not sure who else I can play.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    edited April 2010
    I've never touched Vassal and am very busy, but I'd be willing to give it a try at some point.

snm_sig.jpg