As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Y'know, show's had its ups and downs, but overall... yeah. I'll stick out the last season.

Wait, what?

This is going to be the last season?

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    It's not the last season. Or at least it hasn't been confirmed to be. Pretty sure CW wants to keep it going as long as possible

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They are going to do supernatural long enough for Sam and Dean's real life children to take over for them, and they'll still have the same arguments.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I think the decline of Sam as a meaningful character is probably the worst thing that the latter Supernatural seasons have done. I used to say it was the abject loss of procedural focus, but now that's the second worst.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It feels like they just don't know what to do with Sam. Any time they do do something remotely interesting with him, they end up taking it away.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    It's basically the same with Dean, but they know how to hit the "archetypical Dean" blend of self-loathing and bravado, so it's not as noticeable.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I think the decline of Sam as a meaningful character is probably the worst thing that the latter Supernatural seasons have done. I used to say it was the abject loss of procedural focus, but now that's the second worst.

I know right?

Sometimes it feels like Sam isn't even a protagonist or even a character at times. After season 5, everything seems focused on Dean, leaving Sam out in the wind.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

I know right?

Sometimes it feels like Sam isn't even a protagonist or even a character at times. After season 5, everything seems focused on Dean, leaving Sam out in the wind.
    I think at some point during the "Sam is probably irredeemably evil" portions of the early years they kind of just defaulted to Dean as an extremely surly audience insert and never really walked away from that. I'd also say that's why Castiel constantly has Dean's back, because if he's the audience it's a really easy way to make the otherwise bizarre angel seem more personable.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The single greatest failing after power creep is the fact that sam and dean do not grow as characters; every season they keep having the same bullshit arguments over and over again about how they're always lying to each other and keeping secrets; they've done it for the better part of the past 6 years and it is beyond stale.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Watch Sam suddenly have Angel powers because reasons.

Magus` wrote: »

It'll happen. It'll be the only way to cure Demon Dean. Or something.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

They already established the demon cure
    the blood thing in season 8 that Sam was doing to Crowley

Forget it...
    edited August 2014
    Reznik wrote: »

Will the writers remember that?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Probably not.

Forget it...
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Anyone watch the animated series? Here's an abridged version.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DgVpK6r7JT4

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So is tonight the season premiere or just a bunch of behind the scenes and interviews BS? The episode description made it sound like the latter.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It feels like they just don't know what to do with Sam. Any time they do do something remotely interesting with him, they end up taking it away.

They turned Sam into Dean-lite. Which is boring since Sam is a wonderful character in the earlier seasons.

edited October 2014
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So is tonight the season premiere or just a bunch of behind the scenes and interviews BS? The episode description made it sound like the latter.

It's a special, with interviews and a sneak peek of the new season. Premiere is tomorrow.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

It's a special, with interviews and a sneak peek of the new season. Premiere is tomorrow.

Since this is a series-wide Road So Far before the new season starts, I need to hear Wayward Son the whole episode.

steam_sig.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

Will that end up finishing the trials?

Or have they "reset"

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You've figured out the twist!

edited October 2014
    Ugh, this episode.

Crowley needed to die in season six and so did Castiel.

Professor Phobos on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So yeah, I guess that was an episode of the show. It was just sort of "there" to me. So I guess it was an improvement in that it didn't make me angry. No strong opinion either way really. didn't expect much, didn't get much. I think I'm still watching out of habit.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Anyone watch the animated series? Here's an abridged version.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DgVpK6r7JT4

Okay, first, thanks for the warning on the jump scare cause holy shit my bowels totally needed that work out.

and second, what drug fueled cesspit did that congeal out of?

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So yeah, I guess that was an episode of the show. It was just sort of "there" to me. So I guess it was an improvement in that it didn't make me angry. No strong opinion either way really. didn't expect much, didn't get much. I think I'm still watching out of habit.

I found it to be incredibly boring. Which is a shame because, while I know the show is going downhill, I was excited for a new season.

Also
    Kareoke? Are you fucking kidding me?
    That's right up there with evil Peter Parker dancing in Spider-Man 3

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched it yet, but oh my god, is CW really using the phrase "Deanmon" in their ads? Jesus Christ, burn it all down.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, that was certainly boring. It's an odd way to start a new season but at least it wasn't awful or stupid.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    OMG this is so bad I can't NOT love it! :P

Finally caught the episode. Um, that didn't really feel like a worthy season premiere episode.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Finally caught the episode. Um, that didn't really feel like a worthy season premiere episode.

What's going on with this show? :?

What's going on with this show? :?

Like Castiel, I think it's finally running out of grace.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    It's too sexy for its shirt.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Well, considering two of the six shows I currently watch killed off a main character in the first episode, I might be expecting too much.

Sam has to figure out how to "fix" Dean. Castiel has to figure out a cure for his problem. Gabriel needs to come back (he's confirmed alive.) Crowley needs to die already. He's a good actor and all, but he needs to be taken down already.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Oops wrong thread

After watching this first ep though, how is this show still on?

Evil Multifarious on
  • BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Oops wrong thread

Pretty dedicated fan base. Some seasons have a slow burn in the beginning.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
    Oops wrong thread

Plus, it's probably pretty cheap to produce.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oops wrong thread

Plus, it's probably pretty cheap to produce.

And hey, the writing is basically on autopilot. It's a self-sustaining money printing machine.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So are we all just...like...hate watching this show at this point? I honestly didn't mind the opener that much. I could do without the Castiel stuff (and him in general), but I like the Dean/Crowley pairing. My one note on that is that I would have preferred to see them both actually doing bad things together as opposed to Dean wallowing about crap and singing Karaoke, but I do like that Crowley is there sorta being a friend, but also trying to push him into giving in to being a demon now. If the show actually pushes the plot line rather than giving it a magical cure before mid season (a huge "if" I know) I think this plot-line could still be really good.

edited October 2014
    Nah, I mean, I still enjoy chunks of it. I just recognize that it's kind of a poor imitation of what it used to be. I still like seeing the characters, is basically where I'm at with it.

minor incident on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I watch because at the moment Hannibal isn't on and I need to watch some character get butchered.