As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ModNation Racers] Wait? People are still playing this? Ummm...Vita version pending? Yay?

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That's 7/27. As in July. You have 2 months to activate that sumbitch.

Oh ya. Much better. Whew. Good to know, but I'm happy. I want all the freebies I can get for this game.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh ya. Much better. Whew. Good to know, but I'm happy. I want all the freebies I can get for this game.

Me too.

I just wish it were a bit easier to cancel with Amazon. I'm sad that I won't have Ratchet & Clank.

Lucascraft on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Me too.

I just wish it were a bit easier to cancel with Amazon. I'm sad that I won't have Ratchet & Clank.

Wait, I pre-ordered with Amazon. Why wouldn't you get Ratchet and Clank?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited May 2010
    I wonder what the first paid DLC will have?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010

Me too.

Wait, I pre-ordered with Amazon. Why wouldn't you get Ratchet and Clank?

I wouldn't get Ratchet & Clank because I haven't preordered with Amazon, because I work at Gamestop and will be making my real purchase there to get my employee discount.

And its sort of a pain in the ass to do the whole "fake reservation" thing with Amazon just to scam a code.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Ah, understood. I've often considered getting a part time position with GameStop/EB Games just for the discount...

El Fantastico on

• Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So if I pre-order this on BestBuy.ca will I get the Drake pre-order bonus code, or is that only in-store or US? I don't see any mention of it on the site.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
    edited May 2010
    So if I pre-order this on BestBuy.ca will I get the Drake pre-order bonus code, or is that only in-store or US? I don't see any mention of it on the site.

I dunno. Online sites have different polices than the in-store locations. They are often different companies under the main corporatation. You might want to ask their customer support.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    Bleh. They need to release more info on this game. I'm pretty sure I've watched every video available and looked at every screenshot. I need more crap to keep me occupied until the 25th.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Bleh. They need to release more info on this game. I'm pretty sure I've watched every video available and looked at every screenshot. I need more crap to keep me occupied until the 25th.

Your code work yet? In the mean time I'm playing a mix of Nier and Little Big Planet.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    I haven't tried the code yet today. I checked the Playstation Store about 45 minutes ago and nothing was new or updated at that time.

Lucascraft on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I want this. I will make so many Mario Kart tracks, and it'll be better because the AI on this aren't cheating bastards.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited May 2010
    You know what would be really sweet? Custom weapons. They let us customize pretty much everything else. I don't see why they couldn't make a DLC pack with a "Weapon Shop" that allows you to tailor weapon pickups for your custom tracks.

That would go a long way towards helping recreate classic Mario Kart maps if we could make things like shells, star power, ghosts, etc. Of course, if anyone recreates the Blue Shell, that person should be punched in the dick.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    What is with remaking Mario Kart tracks? Honestly, I'm going to go out of my way to make my tracks look anything but like Mario Kart tracks. I have ideas, yes ideas.

Btw, does anyone in the beta know if they have transparent objects? Tunnels, glass planes, etc? I want to build Wipeout and Gran Turismo tracks. No, I want to build nightmarish creations of speed and horror that creep into the minds of those that race them.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    What is with remaking Mario Kart tracks? Honestly, I'm going to go out of my way to make my tracks look anything but like Mario Kart tracks. I have ideas, yes ideas.

Btw, does anyone in the beta know if they have transparent objects? Tunnels, glass planes, etc?

I'd like to know this too. I have a super sweet idea in my head for a track, but I don't know if its possible. I would need lots and lots of glass walls and interior set pieces.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm going to make my own tracks as well, but making tracks I know already will be good practice.

Bartholamue on
    edited May 2010
    You ever been on the Superman Rollercoaster? Ya? Well I'm going to build a track like that. The MOTHER of all ramps with boosts all the way up and a hairpin turn at the top.

I'm also going to make a level filled with water filled pits and boost arrows hidden in the water to escape the slowdown.

Crazy stuff like that.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    I've been trying to build this level on LBP also, with not much luck. But this is my idea for a track in ModNation:
    Bioshock. Racing in the city of Rapture.

But for that to work, I'm gonna need the ability to build an interior racetrack inside of glass walls, with water on the outside, and I don't know if that's possible.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Sounds nice Lucas. I also want a race that has a tunnel that exits via a ramp through a waterfall. That's a MUST HAVE.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    I have lots of neat ideas for track fragments. Not necessarily whole tracks, but just cool stuff that would be fun to race on.

One idea is for a 'V' shaped bottleneck. Have a bunch of booster pads that all point towards a super narrow choke-point. Basically the idea would be to funnel all the racers into a really confined space while going at incredibly high speeds.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Oh hey. Check out post #5 on this thread:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/10/modnation-artist-spotlight-toy-designer-huck-gee-brings-his-art-to-life/

It seems that a Sony poster confirmed that there's gonna be a PS3 demo _at_some_point_. We just don't know when it's gonna hit. Very likely we won't see it until the 25th when the game is released.

Edit: If you read more of the red posts on there, he also confirms that the Air Raid promo code will not be activated until the 25th when the game goes live. And also, other red comments hint that the demo might be before the 25th. One of them says something like "sooner than you think." Which is fairly promising.

Lucascraft on
  • TiberiusTiberius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I hope you're right on the demo. I know the PSP demo is going live today with no need for download codes anymore:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/06/modnation-racers-psp-demo-out-may-11th/

But I still want a PS3 demo.

Oh, and by the way - with your "V-neck" idea, there's a way to make that even more brutal. I read that in MNR, you can actually position the DIRECTION of your boost pads - so you can actually have sneaky boost pads hidden on your track that boost the driver BACKWARDS! Imagine slipping a couple of THOSE into that V-neck track, so not only are you getting bottled up at high speeds, but you could actually get thrown back OUT of the choke point entirely if you're not careful!

I like it. Muwahahahahaha!!!

Tiberius on
    edited May 2010
    I think the CEO of Insomniac making a video of him making a track sold me on the game.

Bartholamue on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is the demo out yet?

Edit: Downloading now. Man Sony takes its sweet time updating.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2010
    PSP demo is up on the Playstation store. No sign of PS3 demo this week.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010

But there is a PS3 demo coming? o_O

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

But there is a PS3 demo coming? o_O

Mentioned in the red comments of the US Playstation Blog, I believe.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh great, when it was blogged that the PSP demo would be out May 11th, they must have forgotten to stipulate that it wasn't for PAL territories because I'm not seeing it anywhere in the store :(

Recharged my PSP for nothin'!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Hang in there, PAL.
    That was a joke.

Lucascraft on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, both EB Games and GAME in Australia are giving away all 3 downloadable characters with a pre order. Might have to pre order this now.

-Loki- on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To hell with remaking Mario Kart tracks, I'm going to be making go-kart versions of real world race tracks.

Nurburgring?

Wonder if I'll be able to recreate the corkscrew for Laguna Seca?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited May 2010
    IGN posted an interview with one of the producers of Modnation. Here's a Link to the full interview. Its got some good stuff.

Here's one quote, which I found interesting from the technical side of things. Its also good because it shows that the devs are actively working to improve their game post-release.
    IGN: What's the experience been like reading reviews for the game, now that they're starting to come out. Has anything surprised you?

Dan Sochan: For the most part we've been really happy. We've seen review scores that have been quite high, lots of 9's, which is great. We've seen some comments about the load times, which is something we're aware of. It's something we're working on. It wasn't an oversight on our part at all. The way that our technology was built we were able to keep file sizes really, really small for transfer times of less than a second or a second and a half. We didn't want it to be so that you and I go online and you want to try a track I've built that's 50MB and then have you have wait five minutes to download it. That immediately became an obstacle in sharing so we created a file system where everything is built dynamically and on the fly. Everything is essentially a series of coordinates to things that are saved. The challenge with that is we're building an entire world, an entire character, an entire kart, and 12 characters online, all on the fly. There's a lot of compositing that happens with the stickers and all the different parts. Because of that, there are longer load times, but that's something we're working on for one of our first patches, to improve that and get that down significantly.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Boss. I love these guys.

Folks. please PM or let me know here if you want in on the Merchadies Group! I need your PSN names.
    Beltaine wrote: »
    To hell with remaking Mario Kart tracks, I'm going to be making go-kart versions of real world race tracks.

Nurburgring?

Wonder if I'll be able to recreate the corkscrew for Laguna Seca?

Sweet! I wonder if there will be a GT5 tie-in when that launches.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are there any plans for a Battle Mode(like Mario Kart 64 or Double Dash, not the abortion that was Mario Kart Wii's)?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited May 2010
    Why is everyone so horny for a battle mode? I've seen that other places as well. This is a racing game. If you wanna play deathmatch and kill people, there are tons of other games where that's an option.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Why is everyone so horny for a battle mode? I've seen that other places as well. This is a racing game. If you wanna play deathmatch and kill people, there are tons of other games where that's an option.

Because this is a cart racing game. And the best cart racing series is arguably Mario Kart. And the best part of Mario Kart is arguably Battle Mode. I know it's where I've had the most fun.

Sagroth on
    edited May 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »

Because this is a cart racing game. And the best cart racing series is arguably Mario Kart. And the best part of Mario Kart is arguably Battle Mode. I know it's where I've had the most fun.

My only regret with the SNES Mario Kart is the lack of maps. Only 4.

El Fantastico on

edited May 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »

My only regret with the SNES Mario Kart is the lack of maps. Only 4.

Still better than Mario Kart Wii. Hope you like 14 bots in your Battle Mode, thus stripping away all sense of competition with your real friends!

And also to Lucascraft: there are a bunch of racing games out there. How many this console generation currently have a mode where you and friends use in-game powerups to smack each other around(I actually want to know this, as if there are any, I may go buy them)?

Because where I'm coming from, the idea of being able to create your own battle mode stages and download those from others is a seriously fantastic notion. Just having Battle Mode would make it a day one purchase for me. Being able to create and download an unlimited number of Battle Mode stages? All my dicks, man.

Sagroth on
    edited May 2010
    Heh, I never considered building Battle Stages if there's a Battle Mode. Sadly, I don't think there is one, but that doesn't mean they might not be able to patch one in as DLC.

El Fantastico on

edited May 2010
    I think I could make battle arenas even if the game only allows for a race mode. Twin looping 8's with a weapons pit in the middle. Or a 2 tiered roller derby style arena.

Mostlyjoe13 on