As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    the i4 looks really slick without the bumper. IMO easily the best looking phone on the market.

If it had an AMOLED screen and some kind of trackpad/ball there would be no question in my mind.

why the hell would you want or need a trackpad/ball on a iphone?o_O

Because I like to have a more precise interface option for things like moving a cursor around in a text field. My fingers are not precision instruments.

but the iphone interface isn't designed for a cursor

like, at all

ronzo on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the i4 looks really slick without the bumper. IMO easily the best looking phone on the market.

If it had an AMOLED screen and some kind of trackpad/ball there would be no question in my mind.

why the hell would you want or need a trackpad/ball on a iphone?o_O

Because I like to have a more precise interface option for things like moving a cursor around in a text field. My fingers are not precision instruments.

but the iphone interface isn't designed for a cursor

like, at all

I don't mean a mouse pointer. In that particular example I am talking about the blinking text cursor, in the event that I want to go back in to some text I've previously typed and add/subtract in the middle of it, rather than at the end.

It is nice to have the option is all. For instance, there is a crossword app called Shortyz that I really like on my phone. depending on whether I am sitting on the couch or lying down in bed it is sometimes more comfortable to navigate it with the touch screen and sometimes with the trackball. I like to be able to have that option is all.

Evander on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010

I don't personally find the ambled screen to ve particularly nice looking. I guess it has nice blacks, but it gets washed out in anything but near darkness.

As far as the trackball goes, I guess I was really talking about the actual appearance of the phone. I know that some people prefer trackpaxw or physical keyboards and such in terms of operation, and I can see their utility at times (editing text on the iPad can be kind of a pain) but I find that in any case they don't make for a particularly attractive phone.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't personally find the ambled screen to ve particularly nice looking. I guess it has nice blacks, but it gets washed out in anything but near darkness.

As far as the trackball goes, I guess I was really talking about the actual appearance of the phone. I know that some people prefer trackpaxw or physical keyboards and such in terms of operation, and I can see their utility at times (editing text on the iPad can be kind of a pain) but I find that in any case they don't make for a particularly attractive phone.

check out the new super amoleds. they perform 80% better in direct sunlight.

it's all personal prefference, but in terms of pure aesthetics I preffer the look of some kind of tracking tool over the look of a flush button. on some level it is simply because I can't entirely ignore function when I look at form, probably. Also, you can have a trackball light up multiple colors, which I enjoy the look of as well.

Evander on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    This is nice:
    Dear Apple Customer,

Apple recently announced that iPhone 4 customers who purchased an iPhone 4 Bumper are eligible for a full refund.

As of today, we have automatically processed your refund.

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Sincerely,
    Apple Online Store Support

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    unless you have data saying that so many people have this terrible issue with the phone: the data i asked for. apparently defending your position using facts is too much to ask.

Let's say you build a machine that both creates ice cream and gold coins. And then it hits the market, and you find out that the ice cream maker is irreparably malfunctioning. But people love the gold coins, and can get ice cream somewhere else. Your machine continues to sell well.

What your argument basically states is that because people are very happy with gold coins, logic dictates that the ice cream machine works perfectly.

Clearly, you're bad at making logical statements.

apple's ice cream maker is not irreparably malfunctioning. also you could just buy ice cream with all your gold coins.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know, there've been multiple times that I've wanted to throw my ipod touch at the wall because of how incredibly infuritatingly hard it is to accurately select a specific part of a url to edit.

Trackballs are an acceptable workaround, but I wish these tech companies would get over their mastubation over capacitive screens and give us our stylus back

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually a phone with a trackball sounds like a pretty good idea. The problem with a stylus is that you can lose it.

electricitylikesme on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing that I can think of that would ruin the look of the iPhone 4 more than a trackball is a trackball that lights up in different colours.

bongi on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    The only thing that I can think of that would ruin the look of the iPhone 4 more than a trackball is a trackball that lights up in different colours.
    Why not make the home button a trackpad like the iPod wheels? Directional control and clickable. Bam, done.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Why not make the home button a trackpad like the iPod wheels? Directional control and clickable. Bam, done.

How big do you plan on making this thing?

bongi on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't mean a mouse pointer. In that particular example I am talking about the blinking text cursor, in the event that I want to go back in to some text I've previously typed and add/subtract in the middle of it, rather than at the end.

Have you used the iPhone's system? The magnifying glass has some problems, but overall it works pretty well.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehhhhh, I dunno. I think it's kind of a pain, personally. The magnifying glass thing to see where you're moving the text-cursor that is. It seems to always move a few spaces when I lift my finger off once I've gotten it where I want it.

I don't edit that much text though, so it doesn't cause me any real grief.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I don't know, there've been multiple times that I've wanted to throw my ipod touch at the wall because of how incredibly infuritatingly hard it is to accurately select a specific part of a url to edit.

Trackballs are an acceptable workaround, but I wish these tech companies would get over their mastubation over capacitive screens and give us our stylus back

Just whittle down the ends of one of your fingers to a sharp point, what are you using your left pinkie for anyways?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

How big do you plan on making this thing?

It wouldn't need to be any bigger than it currently is of all you wanted was four-(or eight-)way pointing and a click. More than adequate for manoeuvring a cursor. Might need squaring off a little though.

Mr_Rose on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So here's an interesting article looking at the antenna issue. It's from the Atlantic, though this summary is via Slate:
    Apple users don't just buy technology, the Atlantic's Alexis Madrigal posits, they buy into a religion, and because of that, the company's recent antenna problems haven't made much a difference for the cult of Apple. To test this theory, Madrigal looks to two media scholars who have developed a framework for understanding Apple divinity. In order to understand how consumers relate to the company, academics Russell Belk and Gulnur Tumbat came up with four narratives to explain Apple lure. In the context of Antenna-gate, the two relevant ones are the "hero myth," and the "resurrection myth." The hero myth imagines "Mac and its founder Jobs as saving its users from the corporate domination of the PC world"; and the resurrection myth promotes a vision of "Jobs returning to save the failing company." Although the iPhone's antenna problems could have been a disaster, it was swept under the rug quickly. This was partly due to a PR campaign and quick fix, but Madrigal suggests that corporate mythology played a big role. "After last week's press conference quelled questions about the company's practices and this week's iPhone sales report, Jobs not only seems like a hero again, but he reinforced the resurrection myth too."

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2010/07/the-varieties-of-religious-experience-how-apple-stays-divine/60271/

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2010
    Oh dear.
    Apparently, religions are so fundamental to human thought that when all the old ones are dying people simply have to latch onto a new one just to get out of bed in the morning.
    Weak.

Mr_Rose on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So here's an interesting article looking at the antenna issue. It's from the Atlantic, though this summary is via Slate:
    Apple users don't just buy technology, the Atlantic's Alexis Madrigal posits, they buy into a religion, and because of that, the company's recent antenna problems haven't made much a difference for the cult of Apple. To test this theory, Madrigal looks to two media scholars who have developed a framework for understanding Apple divinity. In order to understand how consumers relate to the company, academics Russell Belk and Gulnur Tumbat came up with four narratives to explain Apple lure. In the context of Antenna-gate, the two relevant ones are the "hero myth," and the "resurrection myth." The hero myth imagines "Mac and its founder Jobs as saving its users from the corporate domination of the PC world"; and the resurrection myth promotes a vision of "Jobs returning to save the failing company." Although the iPhone's antenna problems could have been a disaster, it was swept under the rug quickly. This was partly due to a PR campaign and quick fix, but Madrigal suggests that corporate mythology played a big role. "After last week's press conference quelled questions about the company's practices and this week's iPhone sales report, Jobs not only seems like a hero again, but he reinforced the resurrection myth too."

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2010/07/the-varieties-of-religious-experience-how-apple-stays-divine/60271/

Ugggh, that is a terrible article. I could go into a lengthy rant about their ridiculous mythology theories, but why bother, the article speaks for itself.

Dark_Side on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010

This is literally the most retarded thing I've ever read.

bongi on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    And bear in mind, I once tried to read some 'feminist epistemology'.

bongi on
    edited July 2010

the article refers to that horrible xtranormal animation as "hilarious"

how can someone watch that and think "hilarious"?

it boggles the mind

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, now that I've actually read the article and not just the summary it's much, much less interesting than I thought.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2010
    And bear in mind, I once tried to read some 'feminist epistemology'.
    You know that you actually made me look up epistemology to make sure it still meant what I always thought it meant?
    So, yeah, I kinda get where you're coming from there...
    Is there an appropriate quote for a Reverse-Montoya?

Mr_Rose on
    edited July 2010
    Adrien wrote: »

Have you used the iPhone's system? The magnifying glass has some problems, but overall it works pretty well.

You're...kidding, right? Like the only text editing that actually makes me want to throw it at the wall. Even a controller is a superior text editing device.

You know, actually, one of those trackballs on the mighty mouse might not be too bad. The best part of that "mouse"

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    that article is up there with pitchfork's review of kid a in terms of pretentious, imaginative horseshit

Organichu on
    edited July 2010

You're...kidding, right? Like the only text editing that actually makes me want to throw it at the wall. Even a controller is a superior text editing device.

You know, actually, one of those trackballs on the mighty mouse might not be too bad. The best part of that "mouse"

the text editing actually feels a lot better on the ipad, even though the system is the same. the extra real-estate seems to help, at least to me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    on my ipod touch editing anything in a post on the forums was a pain in the ass because the magnifying glass would go off the top of the screen or be obscured by my finger

having a bigger screen fixes it pretty well

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    edited July 2010

the text editing actually feels a lot better on the ipad, even though the system is the same. the extra real-estate seems to help, at least to me.

Yeah, having the characters have a reasonable seperation would help a lot

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    the idea of mounting "swipe" functionality under the home button is kind of intriguing though.

i mean it wouldn't be any good for general operation of the device, because there's not generally a cursor

but it would probably be pretty helpful for text editing

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SaltLickSaltLick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would kill for a delete key instead of just a backspace. The magnifying glass can be annoying at times, but not having the ability to delete characters to the right is absolutely frustrating.

SaltLick on
    edited July 2010
    the newer apple keybaords don't have a forward-delete key

it was intensely annoying to me for a while and then i got used to it

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited July 2010

They do, however, also (mostly) have arrow keys and a mouse nearby, which makes moving the cursor one character to the right a lot easier.

Mr_Rose on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

All of them or just the laptop and wireless ones? 'Cause on the laptop and the bluetooth one it's Fn+Backspace.

[ed] Holy cow, it looks like they are getting rid of it. Boolsheet.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

All of them or just the laptop and wireless ones? 'Cause on the laptop and the bluetooth one it's Fn+Backspace.

that sucks
    in monitoring my usage i think i use the delete key more often than my backspace
    though thats with a device that involves a keyboard and mouse interface
    with a handheld that might be different

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

that sucks
    in monitoring my usage i think i use the delete key more often than my backspace

Did they also get rid of the shift and punctuation keys?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

that sucks

really? It's a forum, bro

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

that sucks

That doesn't magically make your writing more legible.

electricitylikesme on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

that sucks

:?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    it's totally legible

Organichu on
    edited July 2010

that sucks

well you seem to be leging my writing fine, thanks

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*