As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Now for Mac - Launch with 63 Games

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I don't know what The Whispered World is, but it was just put on Steam and the pricing on it is bullshit. Disregarding the 10% discount it's $29.99 for USA, but €39.99 for Europe.

It is a German developed adventure game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Michael H wrote: »
    X^3 seems like my kind of game. The wikipedia article has reference tables. That sort of thing really peels my potato. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3_Reunion

Hmmm, I had no idea this was a space sim. For some reason I thought X to the 3 was an adventure/survival horror game.

Weird.

it's not really a space sim, in practice. It's more like a Tycoon or God Game that puts you in a space ship. And you can pew pew sometimes too. But the meat of the game is the economic empire building.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    So how to I shrink it back to thin mode after I've opened it up?

View menu --> Small mode
    I'm mildly annoyed that we don't have an expand/collapse button anymore. Also mildly annoyed that there are options in the view menu to go to everywhere except the store, which is the only thing I use large mode for.

I also missed the store link in the view menu, and hated the "New" titlebar button, so I made a tiny AutoHotKey utility that adds and removes just that (it simply copies the original skin to a new folder under .\skins\ and runs a regex on the relevant files). Just copy the exe file to the Steam folder, run, and select the new skin in Steam settings. I did it this way simply because when Valve updates the default skin, I can just run the utility again and be running with the latest fixes they've implemented, and remove the annoyances, without having to manually edit anything again. Uploaded it in case you, or someone else, want it.
    SteamSkinMiniMod.jpg
    [Download]
    (source included)

Now I just need to figure out how to add custom buttons...

Dírhael on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone own GTA IV + Episodes (the separate pack, not the in-game DLC)? If so, does the soundtrack from GTA IV import into Episodes? Wikipedia says no, but I'd like a confirmation.

I own Episodes, but not GTA IV, and it sucks playing without the original GTA IV soundtrack. But I'd pay 7.50 for GTA IV alone to get it in Episodes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    3 hours of GTA IV for $7.50. Good until 1 pm PDT.

Oh yes, so bought.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I've beaten GTA IV already on my 360 is there a reason to even bother buying it for the PC? Since the DLC is standalone.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    If I've beaten GTA IV already on my 360 is there a reason to even bother buying it for the PC? Since the DLC is standalone.

Unless someone can prove me wrong, you do not get GTA IVs soundtrack. They added some new stations to make up for it, but they're pretty bad in my opinion (they turned Vladivostok FM into some Kelly Rowland pop shit)

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    If you're an achievement whore, it is games for windows live.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Considering it'd be connected to my Xbox account anyway, and I already got everything for it -there-.

You do need the original game for multiplayer play though, right?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You would be adding the PC gamerscore to your tag doubling up, as it were.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it's not really a space sim, in practice. It's more like a Tycoon or God Game that puts you in a space ship. And you can pew pew sometimes too. But the meat of the game is the economic empire building.

It doesn't have to be, I've never built a single space station, I play as a pirate stealing everything I want, never buying anything. I also play Iron-man "Dead is Dead" style (aka if you die, start the game over). I just struggle to survive and get myself a better ship. Its a fun alternate way to play, though probably not for everyone.

Was almost ready to capture a capital ship my last game when I had the misfortune of exiting a jump gate right into a military fleet, got ripped apart by flak before I could flee.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was almost ready to capture a capital ship my last game when I had the misfortune of exiting a jump gate right into a military fleet, got ripped apart by flak before I could flee.

I'm on the fence about X3 as well, but quotes like this really make me want to dive right in.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    X^3 seems like my kind of game. The wikipedia article has reference tables. That sort of thing really peels my potato. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3_Reunion

Hmmm, I had no idea this was a space sim. For some reason I thought X to the 3 was an adventure/survival horror game.

Weird.

Survival Horror would be sqrt(X) which of course places the condition that X > 0.

Well done.

*slow clap*

:P

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm on the fence about X3 as well, but quotes like this really make me want to dive right in.

Well, I lost another game when I was about to ENTER a gate when an Argon M1 (Carrier) jumped in through it...

sizecompare.jpg
    [tiny]That isn't a spec on your monitor, squint[/tiny]

Now, my M3+ is the largest fighter type in the game, while the M5 Buster is the smallest, but its not that much bigger... One moment I'm flying at the gate, next moment something HUGE is looming right at me. For a second it was like freespace DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURN- Splat - like a bug on a windscreen.

The game has a pretty good sense of scale, here is a couple shots of me attacking then skimming along the underbelly of an M7 (medium sized capital). Was the first (and so far only time) I've killed a Capital in a fighter. Was rather hectic trying to match it's movements and speed to stay in it's blind spot while pumping it pull of gun and missile fire. Thing finally went down on my last thunderbolt missile.

pbasedefense1.th.jpg pbasedefense2.th.jpg

I've done similar crazy things in the past, such as hiding my ship in the superstructure of a jump gate or space station to shield myself from superior enemy numbers, popping out to fire a few missiles or take some pot shots before ducking back into cover, always worrying someone is going to launch a massive AoE Hammerhead missile (micronuke) that'll blow me away even through the structure.

Here is a size comparison chart:

shipsizecomparationtcmo.th.jpg

The game has quite the learning curve, which is one of the reasons it gets called "Single player EVE", but if you've got the patience for it, it can be rather fun.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I missed the Vice City sale last night, because I had to, pfft, sleep. I wonder what I'm going to miss tonight. :cry:

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The game has quite the learning curve, which is one of the reasons it gets called "Single player EVE", but if you've got the patience for it, it can be rather fun.
    This is very much an understatement. I mean, great game, but I just couldn't do it.

Of course, I'm not one for, like, finances or whatever.

Monger on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    is there any way to revert to the old UI

I fucking hate this new steam interface.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is very much an understatement. I mean, great game, but I just couldn't do it.

Someone once posted this learning curve chart when someone else was talking about X3:

LearningCurve.jpg

X3, of course, would match up most with the EVE curve.

SteevL on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    Note that some of those Rockstar games do not support Windows 7. At least it has a note it doesn't...

Notice: This game does not support Windows 7.

Okay, which games because I'm not seeing this note anywhere? Maybe I'm just missing it. Any help?

N/M. It didn't show up on the games I was really interested in and I checked all of those first. Then I checked midnight club 2 and saw it there.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *snip*

hm.

my bank account seems to have lost $10 and my steam account seems to have gained X3: Terran Conflict.

This is all very mysterious.

Tamin on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Someone once posted this learning curve chart when someone else was talking about X3:
    LearningCurve.jpg

Every time that's brought up, I wonder who taught that person how to make a graph.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    is there any way to revert to the old UI

I fucking hate this new steam interface.

Hahaha, your hate makes me stronger.
    Hate more.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »

LearningCurve.jpg

Every time that's brought up, I wonder who taught that person how to make a graph.

So glad I'm not the only one. Time spent playing on the Y axis? So it's impossible to play any of those games beyond a certain time frame? Does not compute.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the joke.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just finished Winterbottom, except of course for the ongoing battle against the challenge rooms. ;-)

For $5, it was more than worth it.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »

LearningCurve.jpg

So glad I'm not the only one. Time spent playing on the Y axis? So it's impossible to play any of those games beyond a certain time frame? Does not compute.

... No? The graph neither indicates nor implies that.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, I just know Bully is gonna go on sale during the night, when I'm at school.

Curse making something of myself!

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

LearningCurve.jpg

... No? The graph neither indicates nor implies that.

It does, however, imply that your skill is the independent variable, while the time spent playing is dependent on your skill.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. My inner lab TA wants to make red pen marks all over that plot.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. My inner lab TA wants to make red pen marks all over that plot.
    Given that that's an xkcd comic, that's probably the point.

Monger on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Max Payne is $2.50 for the next few hours. Strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't played through it.

Even though it doesn't say that it supports Vista/7, don't let that dissuade you from it. Fixes exist and are pretty painless to apply.

EDIT: The game should, in fact, run just fine without using any fixes, but there will be audio issues. Details and fixes are located here:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's a joke graph, guys.

BTW, I'd be eternally grateful if someone would gift me X3: TC (not gold) and I'll paypal the money next month.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Given that that's an xkcd comic, that's probably the point.

You sure? xkcd is always hand-written and he'd almost certainly put time on the x-axis.

Senshi on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Huh, looking at the Rockstar pack, GTA IV and its expansions are the only current gen games they've released so far, and the expansions really can't have taken THAT long as they didn't add any new city scape or anything...maybe GTA V is coming sooner than we thought.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is steam down for anyone else? Me and twitter people are having trouble with it. It says "no connection" and when trying to boot L4D2 it says it can't access the steam cloud.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It is. Several people on IRC having trouble and steamcommunities can't find profiles.

Alegis on
  • Options
    DOOMocratDOOMocrat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blast, I just got done dusting out my PC (BC2 crashes yaaay) and I can't even like, try it. Lame.

DOOMocrat on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, is the offline mode not working too? That's downright...Ubisoft.

Edit: Nope, seems fine.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Offline mode worked fine for me, I just wanted to play some L4D2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can tell it's down when the signatures are all fuckered.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png