As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American comics in Japan.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
We all know about the effect Manga and other asian comics have had in America (and other western countries for that matter). But I wonder what kind of effect American comics have had on Japan? I know there are a few mangaka that swear on Frank Miller (at least his pre-crazy stuff), and Batman is supposedly very popular, plus the legendary Japanese spiderman show.

I remember Antarctic press once releasing a collection of articles and fan art from a Japanese magazone called Gadget (apperently a fanzine). It was pretty interesting. But what have you guys heard of how Western comics go over in the far east?

Matthew on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The X-Men are streets ahead still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjAbXrvkFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8HkDMht3d4&feature=related

If the Super Young Team isn't popular in Japan then I feel misled.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know the guy who drew Blame! also did a Wolverine comic, and there was also a Batman manga one-shot at some point. And I've occasionally seen a manga adaption of Spawn.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Matthew wrote: »
    We all know about the effect Manga and other asian comics have had in America (and other western countries for that matter). But I wonder what kind of effect American comics have had on Japan? I know there are a few mangaka that swear on Frank Miller (at least his pre-crazy stuff), and Batman is supposedly very popular, plus the legendary Japanese spiderman show.

I remember Antarctic press once releasing a collection of articles and fan art from a Japanese magazone called Gadget (apperently a fanzine). It was pretty interesting. But what have you guys heard of how Western comics go over in the far east?
    I remember seeing a few swipes of Miller's work in manga, but this one is the only one I could find.

As far as American comics in Japan, my younger brother had a Japanese pen-pal when he was a kid, and they'd often send packages of stuff to one another. My brother would ask for Pokemon junk, and the Japanese kid would ask for Jim Lee and Spawn comics.

Munch on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a blog I read by an American comic fan who lives in Japan teaching English, and he occasionally offers some interesting insights into comics in Japan. A girl in his class asked for American comics for reading practice, and found that she didn't care at all about the superhero stuff but loved Hellboy and BPRD.

He also often comments on American comics being pretty expensive in Japan, like $5-10 for a new issue.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aren't manga books here pretty expensive too? You pick em up from B&N, even with a vast collection don't they fetch in the same price range?

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, using Amazon and Bleach and One Piece as my test subjects, it seems like a volume of manga generally sells for about $10 for 200 pages here, which is a much better deal than $5-10 for 22 pages.

Darth Nat on