Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So what makes Stephen Hawking an expert all of a sudden

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay...This looks bad.Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Chatlog
Stephen Hawking takes a hard line on aliens
Has Stephen Hawking been rewatching his box set of the Alien movies?

It would appear so, as his opinion of whether we should make contact with any alien life forms we discover in the future has suddenly hardened. According to a new documentary series he has made for the Discovery Channel : "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans."

Hawking believes we would be well-advised to keep the volume down on our intergalactic chatter and do all we can to prevent any "nomadic" aliens moseying our way to take a look-see. Should they find us here tucked away in the inner reaches of the solar system, chances are they'd zap us all and pillage any resources they could get their hands on. Our own history, says Hawking, proves that first encounters very rarely begin: "Do take a seat. I'll pop the kettle on. Milk? Sugar?"

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," says the theoretical physicist in Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

The article runs on for a little longer but it raises some interesting points

Do you think other advanced civilizations would share the apparent human proclivity to conquer and subjugate that which is seen as inferior, especially when it's occupying land we want? Or would it be a benevolent race trying to welcome us into some sort of Federation-like body? Or there's always the District 9 refugee option

Personally I think Hawking's assessment is a little pessimistic but I guess there wouldn't be any way to know until the moment they started the orbital bombardment

Grey Ghost on
zw3k8eu.gif
PSN: GrahamCR

• Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User
    edited April 2010
    We're much more valuable as anthropological curiosities than any element which can likely be found in greater quantity somewhere else.

• crwthcrwth IDIOT NEWS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i honestly just found out today that stephen hawking was british

• MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    crwth wrote: »

well his accent isn't very thick

do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited April 2010
    That alien organisms would decide to travel massive, massive distances from their home star on the minute chance of finding some pissant foreign civilization to plunder seems fairly improbable to me.

Plus "real" aliens would probably be so completely different from terrestrial preconceptions that even if we could recognize them as intelligent, it would probably be like whale watching or something. Yeah they're thinking, but who knows whats going on in there beyond "OM NOM NOM PLANKTON"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »

That is one gay and pretentious sounding robot

ETqXK.png
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    beep boop cheerio chap

Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited April 2010
    SNOWBEAT THAT JOKE HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE STOP TALKING ABOUT CHEERIOS YOU'RE SO FAT GAHD

ETqXK.png
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    but stephen hawking what are the chances that some blue lesbian aliens come down for tea

edited April 2010
    i just imagine him speaking like a chav

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    thorpe wrote: »
    That alien organisms would decide to travel massive, massive distances from their home star on the minute chance of finding some pissant foreign civilization to plunder seems fairly improbable to me.

Plus "real" aliens would probably be so completely different from terrestrial preconceptions that even if we could recognize them as intelligent, it would probably be like whale watching or something. Yeah they're thinking, but who knows whats going on in there beyond "OM NOM NOM PLANKTON"

just bust out some whale talk, brah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHqSGowi6s

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Futore wrote: »
    SNOWBEAT THAT JOKE HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE STOP TALKING ABOUT CHEERIOS YOU'RE SO FAT GAHD
    look we both enjoy making fun at the expense of paralyzed people, there's no need to start throwing around fat cracks

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we should stop searching for alien life and should stop going out of our way to try to get them to contact us.

Basically, I'm with Hawking.

There are two outcomes: The aliens are absolutely nothing like us, in which case we stand to learn very little from them and it's possible they have incredibly inscrutable actions and ethics, and might just treat us as a weird little science experiment.

Or they're like us... in which case they're probably dicks and we are better off not meeting them.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    thorpe wrote: »

then we realize they're trying to communicate with us when they start eating human children in groups of the first fifteen prime numbers or something

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I think we should stop searching for alien life and should stop going out of our way to try to get them to contact us.

There are two outcomes: The aliens are absolutely nothing like us, in which case we stand to learn very little from them and it's possible they have incredibly inscrutable actions and ethics, and might just treat us as a weird little science experiment.

Or they're like us... in which case they're probably dicks and we are better off not meeting them.

I had no idea we were going out of our way to get aliens to contact us

bar-cc-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    we are constantly broadcasting the prime numbers and a couple other mathematical sequences out into space as a signal to other intelligent life

not to mention those satellites pew pewing jersey shore all over the place

edited April 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Not in a lot of significant ways. We occasionally do shit like shoot golden disks into space with the directions to our planet on it, shit like that.

We should uh... we should probably not be doing that anymore.

edited April 2010
    Kovak wrote: »
    we are constantly broadcasting the prime numbers and a couple other mathematical sequences out into space as a signal to other intelligent life

i mean the regular radio and satellite noise of our planet, not much we can do

but deliberate efforts to go shooting our mouth off into space

let's stop that, please

i can't think of anything good that comes of it.

• thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Kovak wrote: »

If ever they needed a reason to exterminate us

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stephen Hawking is a stand-up guy

you'd do well to listen to him.

edited April 2010
    if there is some kind of galactic market

it is probably based on either raw resources

or entertainment

we better hope our arts and drugs are good enough for space people

else they're going to take all our rocks

edited April 2010
    you know what's really weird?

people who get really amped up about extra terrestrials

like people who run SETI@home and shit

those people, man

what is their deal

edited April 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

poor form, bad beat!

• WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it would be like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=971MeJPTQGM

I want to pilot giant steampunk mechs. so bring on the aliens

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    look we both enjoy making fun at the expense of paralyzed people, there's no need to start throwing around fat cracks

rzapic.jpg

ETqXK.png
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Good god I laughed so hard at this

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

poor form, bad beat!

that's not what your girlfriend said.

edited April 2010
    pony let me sketch out an analogy

imagine you want to meet a girl. you don't know how or even if any girls live in your area, but you really want to meet one. so you begin writing love letters on a few grains of rice and then toss them out of your window

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Man, maybe we should un-fuck our little shitball of a planet before trying to reach out and attempt contact with anything that 'might' be out there.

gnodab wrote: »
    There is nothing quite like smashing a bullhorn so hard in the ass with a supersledge that its head explodes.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Not in a lot of significant ways. We occasionally do shit like shoot golden disks into space with the directions to our planet on it, shit like that.

We should uh... we should probably not be doing that anymore.

Those two phonographs are like barely out of the solar system.

That is a problem for the cockroaches or a planet of the apes type situation, maybe A.Is not hu-mans.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited April 2010

poor form, bad beat!

that's not what your girlfriend said.

heh what girlfriend 8-)

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i dunno about trying to travel to aliens, but communicating with them via radio signals would be pretty safe. not exactly like intergalactic listeners can actually come to earth just because they can hear us

edited April 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    pony let me sketch out an analogy

imagine you want to meet a girl. you don't know how or even if any girls live in your area, but you really want to meet one. so you begin writing love letters on a few grains of rice and then toss them out of your window

oh my god ahahahaha

edited April 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    it would be like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=971MeJPTQGM

I want to pilot giant steampunk mechs. so bring on the aliens

steampunk blimps and mechs are the worst possible things a military could invest in

ETqXK.png
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stephen Hawking... stand-up

Leaves a lot to be desired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Im9OgMVrs

• WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    except against aliens.

aliens just don't know what to do against mechs and blimps

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • JedocJedoc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i dunno about trying to travel to aliens, but communicating with them via radio signals would be pretty safe. not exactly like intergalactic listeners can actually come to earth just because they can hear us

Well, if an alien does come to Earth they would have had to leave a long time before we started blasting signals into space. Right now we're working pretty damn hard on finding Earthlike planets a long way off, and it's not too far fetched to imagine shiploads of frozen colonists taking off in the next several centuries or so.

But if we can find Earthlike planets a long way away, Life As We Know It will probably see Earth as a Xarglike planet and maybe their colonists set off first.

So your ship's been travelling for three thousand years and you finally come out of deep freeze to find that a race of fucking monkeys have built a shoddy little civilization all over your rare one in a billion habitable planet. Are you going to just climb back into the freezer and go home, or are you going to start warming up the mass drivers and killbots and get ready to discuss real estate with the natives?

cannon.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    except against aliens.

aliens just don't know what to do against mechs and blimps

"Gleeb! why are those guns and swords so poorly designed?"

"I'm not sure, Morke, but I'm thankful this dude can't aim at me due to the fucking pressure gauge in front of his face."

ETqXK.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »

Well, if an alien does come to Earth they would have had to leave a long time before we started blasting signals into space. Right now we're working pretty damn hard on finding Earthlike planets a long way off, and it's not too far fetched to imagine shiploads of frozen colonists taking off in the next several centuries or so.

But if we can find Earthlike planets a long way away, Life As We Know It will probably see Earth as a Xarglike planet and maybe their colonists set off first.

So your ship's been travelling for three thousand years and you finally come out of deep freeze to find that a race of fucking monkeys have built a shoddy little civilization all over your rare one in a billion habitable planet. Are you going to just climb back into the freezer and go home, or are you going to start warming up the mass drivers and killbots and get ready to discuss real estate with the natives?

We could live together... In peace?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Chia MountainChia Mountain Registered User
    edited April 2010
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Schlitz!
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    An advanced alien civilizations of puppies

This discussion has been closed.