Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So what makes Stephen Hawking an expert all of a sudden

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie totally sane in the AsylumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I for one welcome our new alien overlords

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »
    i dunno about trying to travel to aliens, but communicating with them via radio signals would be pretty safe. not exactly like intergalactic listeners can actually come to earth just because they can hear us

Well, if an alien does come to Earth they would have had to leave a long time before we started blasting signals into space. Right now we're working pretty damn hard on finding Earthlike planets a long way off, and it's not too far fetched to imagine shiploads of frozen colonists taking off in the next several centuries or so.

But if we can find Earthlike planets a long way away, Life As We Know It will probably see Earth as a Xarglike planet and maybe their colonists set off first.

So your ship's been travelling for three thousand years and you finally come out of deep freeze to find that a race of fucking monkeys have built a shoddy little civilization all over your rare one in a billion habitable planet. Are you going to just climb back into the freezer and go home, or are you going to start warming up the mass drivers and killbots and get ready to discuss real estate with the natives?

what does that have to do with the radio-communication-only thing that i posted

• JedocJedoc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing much. You just got me thinking about the circumstances under which aliens could come to Earth and then I started rambling. The quote was actually pretty unnecessary.

cannon.jpg
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ah

well yeah i agree with you, any visitors that would travel that far for that long probably wouldn't be here just for shits and giggles

• WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Futore wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    except against aliens.

aliens just don't know what to do against mechs and blimps

"Gleeb! why are those guns and swords so poorly designed?"

"I'm not sure, Morke, but I'm thankful this dude can't aim at me due to the fucking pressure gauge in front of his face."

like aliens are totally realistic

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • JedocJedoc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

If you study history carefully, successful societies who weren't assholes making a spirited attempt to fuck over their neighbors to get to the top of the local food chain are extremely thin on the ground.

Hell, most of the poor bastards who got fucked over were assholes who either lost that special asshole spark that got them to the top in the first place or met a group of other, bigger assholes with an even higher top and better tactics or equipment.

Boiling down the rich tradition of territorial conquest and even colonialism to a simple white vs. brown beatdown is to completely ignore several eons of really interesting history and most of a hemisphere.

cannon.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only things that would bother to find us would only be interested in the forms and structures we've taken on all on our own. That is to say, if they ever found us, they wouldn't make themselves known. This whole new perspective from Hawking sounds to me like Veidt got to him, and needed a puppet to help foster public opinion that the real threat to humanity is external. I will now make note of this in my tattered and stained journal, and resume fighting crime on the streets.

We'll get back there someday.
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    im sure the aliens will realize we're all god's children

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    you know what's really weird?

people who get really amped up about extra terrestrials

like people who run SETI@home and shit

those people, man

what is their deal

ohhh man I used to run SET@home. Like, 3 computers ago.

I was part of some Baldur's Gate 2 website group or something. I had a lot of results even with my crap computer.

Evenutally I realized it was kind of a waste to leave my computer on to search for aliens though.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If we ever do end up meeting up with some galactic visitors, I sincerely hope they will look precisely like some race of previously-devised aliens from a television show, videogame or movie

Wouldn't it be fun to show the chewbacca-lookalike aliens the Star Wars films? The answer is yes

3DS Friend Code: 2766-8209-8772. Nintendo Network ID: Didge7
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the idea of aliens intrigues me less than the idea of another planet similar to earth existing

it always seems so random that we've managed to do as well as we have

xmassig2.gif
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    If we ever do end up meeting up with some galactic visitors, I sincerely hope they will look precisely like some race of previously-devised aliens from a television show, videogame or movie

Wouldn't it be fun to show the chewbacca-lookalike aliens the Star Wars films? The answer is yes

mork.jpg

ETqXK.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This makes me want to break out MOO2 or something.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

you have no idea what any of these words mean, especially 'neoliberal'

33aqfwk.jpg
  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    captaink wrote: »

those people, man

what is their deal

ohhh man I used to run SET@home. Like, 3 computers ago.

I was part of some Baldur's Gate 2 website group or something. I had a lot of results even with my crap computer.

Evenutally I realized it was kind of a waste to leave my computer on to search for aliens though.

who turns their computer off?

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I figure he has a dart board with random sayings on it like you and just throws a bunch of darts until a post emerges.

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

crossingthedelawu.jpg

ETqXK.png
  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

the belief that Neo will liberate us from machines.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

what about "very"

xmassig2.gif
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

crossingthedelawu.jpg

that was 650 fucking dollars btw. they won't even do prints

33aqfwk.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »

the belief that Neo will liberate us from machines.

Whoa

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    it would be like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=971MeJPTQGM

I want to pilot giant steampunk mechs. so bring on the aliens

steampunk blimps and mechs are the worst possible things a military could invest in

The effects and animation and voice acting in that clip are just embarassingly awful.

Sig_link_image.jpg
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure why pictures of RZA keep showing up in this thread, but I approve

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We're just Blue Sky Solutioneering.

• BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    We have somewhat demonstrated a trend towards a greater capacity for reciprocal altruism over time, as a species. I mean look at how powerful nation-states used to interact as recently as the early 20th century. Now we'd much rather trade with each other and sometimes bicker about climate treaties than get into world wars.

Presumably a civilization advanced enough to develop some kind of interstellar travel (assuming such a thing is even feasible) would have progressed along similar lines, as reciprocal altruism seems fairly necessary to building large cohesive social organizations capable of churning out advanced technology.

I might be betting too much on the idea that reciprocal altruism is a necessary prerequisite to civilization, but I have a hard time believing that any species without a strong tendency towards it could ever really build sufficiently complex social networks to develop advanced technology.

Ant-style societies would be too constantly devoting resources to war with their neighbors (since hive-insects have no concept of altruism beyond kin within the colony) to sufficiently develop capital and technology, and certainly solitary species wouldn't either.

My guess is that if we ever got visited by aliens they'd be more interested in plunking down Alpha Centauri's answer to Starbucks or Philip Morris than anything else.

Aliens won't arrive in warships -- they'll show up in cargo ships.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think it'd be pretty cool to find life elsewhere in the solar system, like on europa or enceladus or titan or maybe mars

but that's likely to be microbial life at best

I don't think it'd be very cool if advanced alien life showed up in orbit one day

regardless of what they did the confirmation that we are not alone in the universe and that we are not the kings of the universe would fuck the planet up something fierce

0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2010
    if advanced alien life shows up the best we can hope for is an independence day scenario

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh come on guys.

Who doesn't want to bang alien space pussy?

edited April 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Oh come on guys.

Who doesn't want to bang alien space pussy?

man

I predict at most 20 minutes will lapse after first contact before someone will ask if we are capable of having sex with these aliens

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To boldly go where no man has gone before, and fuck them.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    To boldly go where no man has gone before, and fuck them.

We all want to be Captain Kirk

zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They will eat us for food. We will be food. I need to start working out so they will choke on my tough but flavorful rump.

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

mork.jpg

FuturamaMorks.jpg

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

those people, man

what is their deal

What have you never read something by Carl Sagan? Read something by Carl Sagan, he will explain the deal about people who get really amped up about extra terrestrials.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will fuck so many aliens

zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Gaderen PSN: GaderenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

Hey bro

I uh, don't know if you've ever noticed this. But white people didn't invent taking advantage of less advanced societies. It is kind of endemic to our species. White people just did it the best with their colonialism and guns and big boats.

OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I will fuck so many aliens

I hope they're green

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Hey bro

I uh, don't know if you've ever noticed this. But white people didn't invent taking advantage of less advanced societies. It is kind of endemic to our species. White people just did it the best with their colonialism and guns and big boats.

No way man. Know what the Maori did when white folks showed up and traded with guns? Built schools outta muskets.

This discussion has been closed.