Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So what makes Stephen Hawking an expert all of a sudden

1246753

Posts

  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    no, see, the aliens will be really really big we will climb inside it and build cities without realizing it's alive. and then at the end we realize that we were just a disease the whole time. i just wrote a twilight zone episode.

  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And then we were the aliens.

    Death to PA.
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I want the aliens to be from a race that doesn't have to deal with scarcity any more.

    So they could be like the ultimate drunken douchebag party tourists.

    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited April 2010
    It's entirely possible that aliens would have an entirely different way of thinking

    Like we think in lines, but they would think in spirals or something

    xet8c.gif
  • DontShootToastersDontShootToasters Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Or maybe we think in words, and they think in bowties!

    digichuckarm2.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    aliens are actually all catgirls

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Avatar is actually a documentary sent back in time

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited April 2010
    really hoping Guillermo del Toro gets to do At the Mountains of Madness

    wash the taste of Avatar out of moviegoer's mouths

    xet8c.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Avatar is actually a documentary sent back in time



    World tree on Pandora is the source of midichlorians, Luke Skywalker has a blue catperson ancestor, bam fan fiction

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    really hoping Guillermo del Toro gets to do At the Mountains of Madness

    scariest movie

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that aliens would have an entirely different way of thinking

    Like we think in lines, but they would think in spirals or something

    What does this even mean

    You people are just making things up now

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What if aliens like... breathed water... or something

    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that aliens would have an entirely different way of thinking

    Like we think in lines, but they would think in spirals or something

    White people walk like this.

  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Macera wrote: »
    really hoping Guillermo del Toro gets to do At the Mountains of Madness

    scariest movie

    The giant albino penguins would dampen the tension somewhat

    xet8c.gif
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still don't think chinese people are conscious in the same way as europeans.

    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    look buddy, have you ever been cornered by a giant albino penguin

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    someone on Facebook asked the question "Why don't Penguins fly?"

    I answered "Because there are no fish in the sky."

  • HoukHouk Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    someone on Facebook asked the question "Why don't Penguins fly?"

    I answered "Because there are no fish in the sky."
    what about flying fish?

    huh?

    what about them?!

    nipplessig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they don't actually fly, Houk!

    sounds like you don't know much about zoology!

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they don't actually fly, Houk!

    sounds like you don't know much about zoology!

    Well who wants to speak dead languages anyway?

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    zoology sounds like such a fake word

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    alien life?

    not interested unless they're orks on the waaagh path

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    you know what's really weird?

    people who get really amped up about extra terrestrials

    like people who run SETI@home and shit

    those people, man

    what is their deal

    well, finding other life in the universe would probably be one of if not the most important event in human history

    other than that i dunno lol

  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

    Wait, which country landed on the moon?

    1LRdqui.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

    Wait, which country landed on the moon?

    The best country on God's green earth, that's who

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have somewhat demonstrated a trend towards a greater capacity for reciprocal altruism over time, as a species. I mean look at how powerful nation-states used to interact as recently as the early 20th century. Now we'd much rather trade with each other and sometimes bicker about climate treaties than get into world wars.

    blah

    blah

    blah

    Aliens won't arrive in warships -- they'll show up in cargo ships.

    We are at war.

    With other countries.

    Right now.

    1LRdqui.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

    Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

    Hey bro

    I uh, don't know if you've ever noticed this. But white people didn't invent taking advantage of less advanced societies. It is kind of endemic to our species. White people just did it the best with their colonialism and guns and big boats.

    No way man. Know what the Maori did when white folks showed up and traded with guns? Built schools outta muskets.

    and committed genocide against flagpoles

  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    zoology sounds like such a fake word

    only cuz you pronounce it wrong

  • PeccaviPeccavi oh... oh my!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    you know what's really weird?

    people who get really amped up about extra terrestrials

    like people who run SETI@home and shit

    those people, man

    what is their deal

    well, finding other life in the universe would probably be one of if not the most important event in human history

    other than that i dunno lol

    I ran Seti@home for a couple days, but then I was like "This is stupid and using up all my CPU."

    Stardust@home is at least interactive, though I just logged back in for the first time in years and they deleted all of my events! I totally had found a piece of dust, too! (Really, though, it was cool seeing the picture and being like "Holy Shit! This is exactly what they're looking for!" And now the visual evidence is gone :()

    kvhn.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

    Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

    Hey bro

    I uh, don't know if you've ever noticed this. But white people didn't invent taking advantage of less advanced societies. It is kind of endemic to our species. White people just did it the best with their colonialism and guns and big boats.

    No way man. Know what the Maori did when white folks showed up and traded with guns? Built schools outta muskets.

    and committed genocide against flagpoles

    Hey guys, I'm white, I guess that means I'm evil now?

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Has there ever in history been an example of a technologically superior society not eventually completely assimilating, annihilating, or at least outlasting a lesser one? I'm genuinely curious, I can't think of any examples really...

    EDIT: except for Atlantis, obviously. Fuckers with their magic orichalcum-powered battle-droids and shit.

    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

    Because he moderates an internet forum

    http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have somewhat demonstrated a trend towards a greater capacity for reciprocal altruism over time, as a species. I mean look at how powerful nation-states used to interact as recently as the early 20th century. Now we'd much rather trade with each other and sometimes bicker about climate treaties than get into world wars.

    blah

    blah

    blah

    Aliens won't arrive in warships -- they'll show up in cargo ships.

    We are at war.

    With other countries.

    Right now.

    yeah but those are just brown people

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    killin' brown people doesn't count as real killin'

    like how if you get it in the butt you're still a virgin

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Macera wrote: »
    really hoping Guillermo del Toro gets to do At the Mountains of Madness

    scariest movie

    The giant albino penguins would dampen the tension somewhat

    I like my tension moist

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I don't run seti@home or anything, it just made me think of how it's kind of hard to explain interest in something like that to someone who doesn't share it. Like Feynman at Los Alamos - Bohr would specifically ask to talk to him, because most other physicists wouldn't want to disagree with him. Feynman simply got too excited about physics when talking about it to even think about hiding what he thought, and I think it's a similar sort of thing for most people who are really really interested in something.

  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    He's not an anthropologist, or a sociologist, but something tells me he can understand the whole neoliberal postmodern guilt thing just like the rest of them. His argument seems very white-centric.

    Because why, why the fuck would aliens capable of intergalactic travel not be able to synthesize their own petrol, or water, or toilets? I think he was influenced by Avatar, because an alien society who fucked up their own planet and are out on the prowl looking for a new one might do what he proposed in his new thesis, but unlikely. I refuse to believe most aliens of this caliber are asshole white, privliaged western upper class people who fucked everyone over to get to the top of the food chain.

    Hey bro

    I uh, don't know if you've ever noticed this. But white people didn't invent taking advantage of less advanced societies. It is kind of endemic to our species. White people just did it the best with their colonialism and guns and big boats.

    No way man. Know what the Maori did when white folks showed up and traded with guns? Built schools outta muskets.

    and committed genocide against flagpoles

    Hey guys, I'm white, I guess that means I'm evil now?

    way to say something that nobody in the quote tree before you even came close to implying except maybe the first guy
    redhead wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    zoology sounds like such a fake word

    only cuz you pronounce it wrong

    yeah, everyone knows it rhymes with eulogy.

  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Has there ever in history been an example of a technologically superior society not eventually completely assimilating, annihilating, or at least outlasting a lesser one? I'm genuinely curious, I can't think of any examples really...

    EDIT: except for Atlantis, obviously. Fuckers with their magic orichalcum-powered battle-droids and shit.

    There are lots of examples of less technologically conquering the more advanced. Mongols for example.

    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Has there ever in history been an example of a technologically superior society not eventually completely assimilating, annihilating, or at least outlasting a lesser one? I'm genuinely curious, I can't think of any examples really...

    EDIT: except for Atlantis, obviously. Fuckers with their magic orichalcum-powered battle-droids and shit.

    There are lots of examples of less technologically conquering the more advanced. Mongols for example.

    <America joke>

  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    composite bows are pretty fancy

    the other problem is that there's no objective measure of 'technically superior' and many people would probably think winning a war or something would be proof of technological superiority.

  • HoukHouk Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    zoology - the study of zoos

    nipplessig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.