Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Why am I always female?

13»

Posts

  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User
    edited April 2010
    gearn wrote: »
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females. That means you are a sexist.

    Really? So just because I like Aoi's movelist and counters in VF5 means I'm sexist and want to completely dominate women of all sorts.

    Interesting...

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User
    edited April 2010
    To paraphrase Seinfeld, If I like their sex, how can that be sexist?

    Edit:
    Jamesways wrote: »
    gearn wrote: »
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females. That means you are a sexist.

    Really? So just because I like Aoi's movelist and counters in VF5 means I'm sexist and want to completely dominate women of all sorts.

    Interesting...
    Yes. But if you chose a male character to beat up females that would be even more sexist.

    So..the only way to win is to not play?

    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I roleplayed a female character on EVE. For a huge variety of reasons, including aesthetics. Yes, I created her to please myself. Part of it is a reaction to seeing worlds populated by hulking, scar-faced amoral killer archetypes. I wanted to see if I could write a convincing backstory for a girl and be able to play it and make it natural. There are a thousand compelling reasons for choosing your gender, especially in MMO's that go far beyond any discussion of sex and gender orientation. I find it interesting that so many people only seem to come at it from two directions.

  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything "creepy" about having a sexual preference toward females and preferring to have one in front of you the whole game. "It's just a stupid virtual thing" is the sort of useless argument that could cover playing the whole game at all if you really bought into it.

    I do tend to pick males in order to better place myself in the character myself, though.

    it's not creepy, but it is basically them trying to pre-empt accusations that they like it up the bum because they are curious about playing as a female and therfore must like dresses and flowers and anal sex

    Your judgmental silly goosery is coming off way, way worse than whatever justifications they're coming up with for playing as female characters. The same goes for the other silly geese throwing 'creepy' and 'gay' words around. What is this, bloody high school?

    Oh and sexist? Are you kidding me?

    person a: "i play as a female character exclusively because i am sexually attracted to females. that is the only reason i have supplied."

    i'm taking one of two conclusions from this position: either you think the only reason to play as a female is not for curiosity or gender issues, but because of dat ass, and so you probably believe that that's what females are there for: dat ass

    or, you actually play as female characters because you are curious about how the game differs from a different perspective, but you don't want to admit that because somebody might think you're some kind of gender-bending sodomite tranny hooker, so you have to dress it up in macho bullshit like "heh, i only play as females in games because i like backing the avatar into a corner and lookin' down her top, AM I RIGHT GUYS"

    Eh... yeah, I can agree with that.

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • SipexSipex Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Sipex wrote: »
    Calling it sexism because someone wants to look at a certain gender's ass while they play is stupid.

    i'm gonna stop you there, because nobody has said that

    what i said was, "if the only reason, the only reason, the sole and singular reason you have supplied for playing as a girl in videogames is because you love titties and lookin' at em especially, that's probably indicative of sexist attitudes"

    wanna stop being defensive now

    Which is also the point I attempted to make, but perhaps was not as clear.

    Yar, I kind of got ninja'd by both of you while typing out my post. I realise you've cleared that out since then.

    Horseshoe wrote:
    I've got good news and bad news about 6th level, That Guy. The good news is that Forbiddance spell allows you to prevent enemies different alignment from entering a consecrated area, which is actually useful! The bad news is that the only other new sixth level spell makes lunch for everybody. Guess which one the party is going to expect you to cast.
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    I don't think a player's gender decision during character creation means much of anything. Maybe subjectively, but just broadly speaking.

    Myself, I always tended to morph characters into looking and acting like myself when possible. Which meant: dude, not ugly, and neutral - with a slant towards chaotic.

    #1
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread has the rest of the page to stop being stupid

    I still find it reflective that people are perfectly happy to take on a tremendous number of roles that fall well outside anything they have any experience of, but find gender (or to a lesser extent, race) such a line in the sand.

    I share significantly more in common with a middleclass straight white twenty something women or black man, then I do with a mercenary barbarian in a faux medieval setting, a space marine or other action hero, space cop in a dystopia etc.

  • ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nevermind, thread moves to fast.

    Edit: And fix my sarcastic detector.

    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure the dude who said it was being sarcastic.

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zealot wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Sipex wrote: »
    Calling it sexism because someone wants to look at a certain gender's ass while they play is stupid.

    i'm gonna stop you there, because nobody has said that
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females. That means you are a sexist.

    He was being sarcastic.

  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tend to play a FemShep in Mass Effect, because I enjoyed the Female Voice actor a lot more, and god damn is there a lot of talking in Mass Effect.

    Back in my WoW days, I had male and female characters on a race-by-race basis, and sometimes based on class. The human males were a bit too gorillaish, which is especially glaring when you're playing a wizard or something.

    In other games, it's a case by case basis, and usually varies on the exact character customization options and the implications of playing one race over another. I would play Male Shepard in an instant if he were, say, voiced by Nathan Fillion and could be made to look like Malcolm Reynolds.

    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zealot wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Sipex wrote: »
    Calling it sexism because someone wants to look at a certain gender's ass while they play is stupid.

    i'm gonna stop you there, because nobody has said that
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females. That means you are a sexist.

    i think you need to turn your sarcasm detector back on, bub

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    This thread has the rest of the page to stop being stupid

    I still find it reflective that people are perfectly happy to take on a tremendous number of roles that fall well outside anything they have any experience of, but find gender (or to a lesser extent, race) such a line in the sand.

    I share significantly more in common with a middleclass straight white twenty something women or black man, then I do with a mercenary barbarian in a faux medieval setting, a space marine or other action hero, space cop in a dystopia etc.

    But being "a mercenary barbarian in a faux medieval setting, a space marine or other action hero, space cop in a dystopia etc." carries no negative social stigma, gender-bending generally - and wrongly - does.

    One thing people should ask themselves is: Would you feel ashamed or embarrassed if (hypothetically in this scenario you are male) someone saw you playing a game as a woman? What if it was a Bioware game and your character was engaging in a sex act?

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    (or to a lesser extent, race)
    To a lesser extent? What makes you say that?

    Some of the things I've heard while playing L4D (in reference to Louis) make me shudder. (Interestingly enough, I didn't hear much racism at all in L4D2, where there are two black characters, though that may just be chance. I didn't really play 2 all that much either, to be honest.)

    PSN: Toids42
    steam_sig.png
  • SipexSipex Registered User
    edited April 2010
    The only time I'd ever play a female character (by choice) would be a single player game and even then rarely. It's the whole "Don't want anyone to assume you're the creepy guy who always plays female characters" with a bit of not wanting to get hit on by internet idiots mixed in.

    Horseshoe wrote:
    I've got good news and bad news about 6th level, That Guy. The good news is that Forbiddance spell allows you to prevent enemies different alignment from entering a consecrated area, which is actually useful! The bad news is that the only other new sixth level spell makes lunch for everybody. Guess which one the party is going to expect you to cast.
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And once again, all the crazies are talking to themselves.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    And once again, all the crazies are talking to themselves.

    They're posting on topic, you're not. Who do you imagine is going to get hit with the rolled up newspaper?

  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I personally don't care what people will think of me because I chose a male or female avatar.
    I almost always play females, for various reasons, aesthetics being the first (better-looking, nicer models and armors in a RPG context).

    I know I'm not gay, or repressed, or sexist, or anything. I don't require validation from anybody to choose a gender to play in a videogame. It is nothing more than a videogame, after all.

    Do you play a gender other than yours for curiosity? That's fine. Is there a difference in how the game pans out? Fine. Do you find FemShep more compelling to play than MaleShep because of voice acting and having a woman as the commander in that setting? Fine too. Do you play it for dat ass? Also fine.

    I think that all the judging happening in this thread is silly, but if it happens in here, I can imagine why certain people feel forced to choose a certain gender in videogames.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    I personally don't care what people will think of me because I chose a male or female avatar.
    I almost always play females, for various reasons, aesthetics being the first (better-looking, nicer models and armors in a RPG context).

    I know I'm not gay, or repressed, or sexist, or anything. I don't require validation from anybody to choose a gender to play in a videogame. It is nothing more than a videogame, after all.

    Do you play a gender other than yours for curiosity? That's fine. Is there a difference in how the game pans out? Fine. Do you find FemShep more compelling to play than MaleShep because of voice acting and having a woman as the commander in that setting? Fine too. Do you play it for dat ass? Also fine.

    I think that all the judging happening in this thread is silly, but if it happens in here, I can imagine why certain people feel forced to choose a certain gender in videogames.

    No one is going to top this.

13»
This discussion has been closed.