As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter IV: Team RanBat tonight at 9 eastern! Get a teammate!

• langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Who here will take me under their wing and train me to be fight gloriously!

PS3 only.

langfor6 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They must not know how fighting game sequels work. A number change is for...like...huge system changes.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not if you're playing KoF. :lol:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2010
    For those having trouble with karakara, here's a good video. I'm having trouble myself, though I've only tried it for like, 2 mins. :lol: I'm too lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SChDzdBsprs

As you can see it extends her range by half a training room square.

Antihippy on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, does Makoto's st mp really beat Lariat clean? Actually I beat him by walking backwards and mp everything he did. I know, not very Makoto like, but I still don't know how to deal with those spd's. I'm surprised I didn't get hate mail ... I sort of deserved it this once.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    and worst of all, turtling Makotos. Seriously? You pick Makoto and you turtle? WTF are you waiting for, a hayate opening? Are you really dying to eat my Rising Jaguar FADC Jaguar Avalanche?

After a couple nights playing Makoto maybe I can inform you of some things that make her not the MOST BEASTLY RUSHDOWN OFFENSIVE OMG HELP ME character that everyone seems to think she is.

She doesn't have a move that is safe on block from what I can tell. IA Tsurugi doesn't give frame advantage and sometimes whiffs on people crouching. It doesn't hit overhead either. Hayate's are very punishable on block, especially when a character has a fast jab and can hit confirm. Overhead chop is slow to come out unless you use ex. EX chop does have invulnerability frames, but they are wonky, and the move has TERRIBLE range. Choke? Either walk back, jump, or spam a fast jab. Only way to beat that is with EX which has armor, but can still be beaten by reversals.

Add all of this up and what you get is a character that cannot simply rush you down with no fear. This isn't viper or even bison for that matter, because any blocked move leads to her being punished.

Seems to me if you're going to play Makoto and be good you will need to be amazing with her normals, kara setups, and hope to get some openings that you can punish. So no, I don't want to eat your FADC into ultra, but I do want you to try it and screw it up so that I can punish you hard. I want to sit back and frustrate you with normals until you try something unsafe, and then I'm going to try and choke you and get some big damage in.

I'm getting away with stuff right now, like following a Hayate with a c.mp hoping for a hit into another Hayate. Eventually though, people are going to learn what punishes a blocked Hayate and life is going to get way way way more difficult with her.

Honestly right now when I pick her I feel like I'm fighting without all of the tools that I should have, and I need to change my playstyle to deal with it. Maybe I'm timing the her IA tsurugi wrong and it can hit crouchers. Maybe a very properly spaced Hayate will be safe on block in many if not all matchups. And maybe I'll eventually figure out a way to have a decent wake up game against my opponent, but for right now she seems a lot like Chaos's impression of Juri. She's great if you can get the opponent to make a few mistakes, or if the other person has no idea what they are doing against her, but too much is punishable and doesn't seem to work like it should. FFS I haven't even mentioned her fukiage :x

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

PS3 only.

Define train. :P But I can always help a Megatenist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It says so in the title, but remember we ARE having singles RanBat tonight. Things that would GREATLY help me:

If people would get in irc for at least the beginning so I can give out pairing assignments.
    If people would retain something so they could record the outcomes of their fights. (pencil and paper helps).
    If people would be on EARLIER than 9.

Having said that, you can pm me to tell me if you're going to be on for this shindig. If I have your name, I will wait for you until 9:10. It's just easier for me so I can get some of the planning down.

Remember, this is best 3 out of 5 ROUNDS, one game. This is so seeds can be in a lobby without taking forever for games. If I end up disliking this, (which I already kind of do) then there's a strong chance that we'll go back to quick best of 3 rounds best of 3 games with no lobby action. You should keep track of each individual round (not just if you won or lost the game) since it will be used in tiebreaking.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask in the thread.

While I'm speaking to the masses, I have added the footsies handbook to the op. If anyone else has good youtube channels with high level play, links to guides geared on fundamentals or videos geared towards new players, please link them to me and I will add them to a new section in the op for new people.

ChaosHat on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how many terrible people are in on this

i want to get a reading of how many peers i have before i make a commitment

Feels Good Man on
    edited April 2010
    She doesn't have a move that is safe on block from what I can tell. IA Tsurugi doesn't give frame advantage and sometimes whiffs on people crouching. It doesn't hit overhead either. Hayate's are very punishable on block, especially when a character has a fast jab and can hit confirm. Overhead chop is slow to come out unless you use ex. EX chop does have invulnerability frames, but they are wonky, and the move has TERRIBLE range. Choke? Either walk back, jump, or spam a fast jab. Only way to beat that is with EX which has armor, but can still be beaten by reversals.

Add all of this up and what you get is a character that cannot simply rush you down with no fear. This isn't viper or even bison for that matter, because any blocked move leads to her being punished.

Seems to me if you're going to play Makoto and be good you will need to be amazing with her normals, kara setups, and hope to get some openings that you can punish. So know, I don't want to eat your FADC into ultra, but I do want you to try it and screw it up so that I can punish you hard. I want to sit back and frustrate you with normals until you try something unsafe, and then I'm going to try and choke you and get some big damage in.

I'm getting away with stuff right now, like following a Hayate with a c.mp hoping for a hit into another Hayate. Eventually though, people are going to learn what punishes a blocked Hayate and life is going to get way way way more difficult with her.

Honestly right now when I pick her I feel like I'm fighting without all of the tools that I should have, and I need to change my playstyle to deal with it. Maybe I'm timing the her IA tsurugi wrong and it can hit crouchers. Maybe a very properly spaced Hayate will be safe on block in many if not all matchups. And maybe I'll eventually figure out a way to have a decent wake up game against my opponent, but for right now she seems a lot like Chaos's impression of Juri. She's great if you can get the opponent to make a few mistakes, or if the other person has no idea what they are doing against her, but too much is punishable and doesn't seem to work like it should. FFS I haven't even mentioned her fukiage

I think IA tsurugi should hit crouchers. I haven't really missed anybody yet. EX tsurugi hits overhead.

Hayate shouldn't be used in a situation where it's going to be blocked. Don't even think about it. I heard that a charged up hayate is safe but yeah, don't think about it.

Fukiage was never a factor for me outside of abare combos. Didn't change in this game.

By wake up game do you mean you waking up or the opponent waking up? Backdash (which is decent) or block. Or if you feel like you can do it ex oroshi.

Antihippy on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is this a PS3 & 360 thing?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2010

Oh, I'm going to be playing a God Aweful Makoto. Tip if you want to beat me. a) know anything about how to play your character. b) pick T-Hawk and watch me not know what the hell to do.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited April 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

Oh, I'm going to be playing a God Aweful Makoto. Tip if you want to beat me. a) know anything about how to play your character. b) pick T-Hawk and watch me not know what the hell to do.

I think for 360 characters you need to turtle a bit. :lol:

BTW, any dive is asking to be f+HP. You beat it either all the time or with specific timing/spacing (not sure which one it is yet) or just punish him with it after block.

Basically make him scared of ever diving you again and you'll get some free space.

Antihippy on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

PS3 only.

You get your training from many humiliating defeats. Just like the rest of us did back in the day.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A question for Cammy players. Is there anyway to guarantee her U1 hits? I'm trying the tactic of FA, Cannon Spike into U1, but that seems to have a good chance of being blocked. Am I just messing up the timing or does she have no sure fire links?
    I've been messing with her U2 at the moment, I know it get's a lot of negatives but I quite like it. Especially with the fact that I keep meeting gung ho Balrog, Makoto and Dudley players.

As a long time Cammy player, who is also not that great at links, I've always used the U1 as a punish on blocked specials. It comes out fast enough to be a good punish. It also stuffs certain Ultra's. Akuma's for example it will stuff. I know there is a way to juggle someone with it for a good amount of damage. I forget the input, but I believe it is canno strike->FADC (backwards) -> U1 but it only works in the corner, and their limp body flops on top of your legs. If you do the training for her, it is one of her trials. Well, at least it was in vanilla, haven't done her training in Super yet.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is this a PS3 & 360 thing?

360 only.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2010
    @Hippy

I was pretty sure IA tsurugi would hit crouchers, but even then it doesn't seem safe on block.

And it completely sucks that you can't be safe with Hayate on block. I can understand not having advantage, but to be so unsafe?
    Also, I have absolutely no idea what to do when I have my op knocked down except to try for an ambigous crossup or play the normal throw/normal mixup game. It seems like her choke is vulnerable to throws and normals on startup, but honestly I haven't yet found the info that says what if anything it's invulnerable to.

I do really like the character, I just don't see what makes her THE SINGLE MOST OFFENSIVE CHARACTER EVAR!!!!

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    A question for Cammy players. Is there anyway to guarantee her U1 hits? I'm trying the tactic of FA, Cannon Spike into U1, but that seems to have a good chance of being blocked. Am I just messing up the timing or does she have no sure fire links?
    I've been messing with her U2 at the moment, I know it get's a lot of negatives but I quite like it. Especially with the fact that I keep meeting gung ho Balrog, Makoto and Dudley players.

As a long time Cammy player, who is also not that great at links, I've always used the U1 as a punish on blocked specials. It comes out fast enough to be a good punish. It also stuffs certain Ultra's. Akuma's for example it will stuff. I know there is a way to juggle someone with it for a good amount of damage. I forget the input, but I believe it is canno strike->FADC (backwards) -> U1 but it only works in the corner, and their limp body flops on top of your legs. If you do the training for her, it is one of her trials. Well, at least it was in vanilla, haven't done her training in Super yet.

You can cannon strike -> ultra but it's pretty hard timing wise. It works the same way as a jump in -> ultra, it has to be SUPER deep. EX cannon strike is a bit easier but still not a whole lot of time to hit confirm.

I think you meant cannon spike FADC back -> u1. That works anywhere on screen.

aBlank on
    edited April 2010

I do really like the character, I just don't see what makes her THE SINGLE MOST OFFENSIVE CHARACTER EVAR!!!!

The problem is your using the wrong definition of offensive. Her main combo to ultra is basically choke to ball punch to uppercut (well not really an uppercut but close enough). As a man, I find this very offensive.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stupid Super supposed to be waiting on my door mat, not still fucking in the postman's van still. Bet it's too big for my letterbox and then will have to wait til friday afternoon to get it again. FUCK IT.

Snare on
    edited April 2010
    In 3S she was. In SSF4 it seems she's going to be alot more cautious just from the general system changes. Though you still have to be offensive with her or you die. Simple as that. :lol:

Karakusa was never that high priority, though having it in 3S where command throws can tech throws (though if it's done early it could still be grabbed) and having a better range which is nerfed for whatever reason makes it a worser move in SSF4, though it not bad by any means. I just shut them down with normals and mix it up with karakusa.

Her mixup after hayate is now weak, but we're still trying to find out mixups that work for her in SSF4. Check out this thread for what some people have found out. Knockdown is a best option now, though on knockdown the options are much more standard.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=233976

Also check out these vids, which shows some interesting options she has against some characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6l9l1WroSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8I9Ej6NlHQ

She's a pretty different beast compared to what she was in 3S. Still needs much testing on what possibilities she has.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

The problem is your using the wrong definition of offensive. Her main combo to ultra is basically choke to ball punch to uppercut (well not really an uppercut but close enough). As a man, I find this very offensive.

Love it

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    You can cannon strike -> ultra but it's pretty hard timing wise. It works the same way as a jump in -> ultra, it has to be SUPER deep. EX cannon strike is a bit easier but still not a whole lot of time to hit confirm.

Ah, yes, that is what I meant. I may spend almost all my SF time playing as Cammy, but I do not really know the exact names of the moves. In my mind it's spinfist, kick up, kick down, drill and Hooligan.

I guess the spike to u1 works anywhere, but it doesn't seem to juggle for as much damage as when it's in the corner. Might be my mind playing tricks on me.

So in Super I'm trying to learn Ibuki, need a piece of advise. I finished her trials and I forget the name, but the one where you jump in the air doing the head stomp which goes into the super. Is it just me or is that really hard to pull off in a match?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

PS3 only.

You get your training from many humiliating defeats. Just like the rest of us did back in the day.

Let's train together!

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So in Super I'm trying to learn Ibuki, need a piece of advise. I finished her trials and I forget the name, but the one where you jump in the air doing the head stomp which goes into the super. Is it just me or is that really hard to pull off in a match?

I'm stuck on her last trial still :(

As far as that 'head stomp' move (I can't name any of ibuki's moves yet) IIRC, you can cancel into kunai first to buy you more time to hit confirm but I haven't even landed it in a match yet. Her EX moves seem useful enough that I don't see myself using her super all that much.

(EDIT) also Degami, you know how I was complaining about Ibuki's j.mk not crossing up? I guess it's incredibly hard to hit with unless you use the jumping short -> f+mk target combo in the air -_- So annoying.

aBlank on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    played more Super with friends last night. Team battle is reallllly cool. :p

Adon's jaguar knee is kinda shitty as a last minute AA. I guess I'm not used to the angles of the different kick strengths.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone else have a strong respect for Makoto's character simply 'cause she isn't some sexed up female character?

I mean, I don't get it, I love making sexiest jokes and Cammy side-boob, but for some damn unexplained reason i love Makoto because she isn't a sex object in anyway. Weird... I hope I'm not growing a conscience or respect for women.

On the other hand Ibuki is the worst character ever...

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This Ranbat, is it new characters only? I remember hearing that in its early discussions.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think my new favorite thing is going in to Team Battles, getting into the first fight position, and completely wiping out the other team.

The discussion / talking on the mic is fantastic, especially as 2-4 of the guys invariably already know each other.
    Nick T wrote:
    This Ranbat, is it new characters only? I remember hearing that in its early discussions.

Yes, it makes it much newbier friendlier that way. I'll....deal with it and lose til I can use Bison :(.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited April 2010
    Nick T wrote: »

Yes, all season 1 RanBats are new characters only. This is to kind of level the playing field for people playing new characters. I expect season 1 to last about a month, give or take a week.

I have moved around the OP to be a little more helpful. There are sections for basic and advanced street fighting now to help people get into it. I moved the joystick sections into the advanced section, and included the rant after initially deciding to delete it, so you can still link it in the thread. They deserve to be yelled at if they can't look in the op before asking!

If anyone has any links suitable for either section, I would appreciate it.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2010

As far as that 'head stomp' move (I can't name any of ibuki's moves yet) IIRC, you can cancel into kunai first to buy you more time to hit confirm but I haven't even landed it in a match yet. Her EX moves seem useful enough that I don't see myself using her super all that much.

(EDIT) also Degami, you know how I was complaining about Ibuki's j.mk not crossing up? I guess it's incredibly hard to hit with unless you use the jumping short -> f+mk target combo in the air -_- So annoying.

Yeah, I haven't finished all her trials either. The target combo one's aren't bad, but I still stink at linking moves.

Maybe I need to give up my need to be good with Ibuki. I haven't won a single match with her yet. Not 1. I can't find openings to use her target combo's and seem to just stink with her in general. The one thing I can do is land the u1 often. Which is awesome, because the look on her face is hilarious when she rolls her head. It reminds me of a guitarist acting like a chord change is really cool and I laugh everytime.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

That's all pretty complicated for a new Cammy player.

The two easiest ways to connect her U1, besides punishing, are:

1) FADC >> Dash Forward >> U1

and

2) Spin knuckle >> U1

I know the knuckle is still not the best move in the world, but they've improved it somewhat and U1 juggles off of it every time. Just go into training mode and practice it.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2010
    Nevermind, I got it.

We have 2 people for RanBats. PM people, PEE EM.

ChaosHat on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah, I haven't finished all her trials either. The target combo one's aren't bad, but I still stink at linking moves.

Maybe I need to give up my need to be good with Ibuki. I haven't won a single match with her yet. Not 1. I can't find openings to use her target combo's and seem to just stink with her in general. The one thing I can do is land the u1 often. Which is awesome, because the look on her face is hilarious when she rolls her head. It reminds me of a guitarist acting like a chord change is really cool and I laugh everytime.

The main thing I've been trying to do with Ibuki is learn the priorities on her normals and get a feeling for how fast they are. Her two jumping moves are kinda odd to work into a rush down since they're just a bit slow, but useful sparsely.

And yes, her U1 is BEST!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited April 2010

The main thing I've been trying to do with Ibuki is learn the priorities on her normals and get a feeling for how fast they are. Her two jumping moves are kinda odd to work into a rush down since they're just a bit slow, but useful sparsely.

And yes, her U1 is BEST!

U1 is nice, but being able to SJC U2 from a lot of normals is sex.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't Ibuki's U2 do like...100 damage?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I won't be able to hop into RanBats for another three or four weeks. If they are still going on at that time, I am jumping in.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited April 2010

It actually does quite alot.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2010

Her u1 does unimpressive damage. The comboability of u2 is what makes it soooooo good.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2010
    It also goes through fireballs from a huge distance.

Antihippy on