As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shirt Ninja vs. Cardboard Tube Samurai

eyeonuseyeonus Registered User new member
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
It is my desire to create a CG video depicting a duel between two characters from two different web comics that I regularly frequent: Cardboard Tube Samurai (from Penny Arcade) and Shirt Ninja (from Real Life Comics).

For those who don't know:
Shirt Ninja:
sn_figure4_lg.jpg
Cardboard Tube Samurai:
14225-550x-cts2.jpg

I have already received permission from Greg Dean (of Real Life Comics) to model Shirt Ninja for the video, I still need Gabe and/or Tycho's permission as well- this is why I am posting this thread.

When I have finished the video, which may have a storyline, and (fingers-crossed) will include voice acting from the actual people the characters are based on (Greg Dean for Shirt Ninja, Gabe of Penny Arcade for Cardboard Tube Samurai), I will be putting it on YouTube for your viewing pleasure, and I will also provide to the characters' owners the video as well as all the materials that were needed to make it if they desire. (The source materials = the models, the texture files, the audio, and the animation files.)

I've nearly finished the model of Shirt Ninja:
snwip4.png

So, here's hoping I get a definitive yay or nay rather quickly.

eyeonus on

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It will most likely be a nay.

F87 on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the question?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The creators of the webcomic don't browse the forums. Your best bet is to contact them via email.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not only do you want to use their character, but you also want Gabe to be the character's voice...

I don't see that happening in any realm of reality.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure why you'd want the artist's to voice the characters regardless if you're going to have a story. It'd be better just to get actors

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    as long as you have no intention of selling it.. and you give full credit to the source, you can propably get away with it.

youd be better off creating an almost tube so you dont violate copyright.. then email them the product and ask if theyd let you make it full up tube.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    eyeonuseyeonus Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Well, the only thing I expect to get out of this, other than a feeling of happiness at a job well done, is a reference on my resume.

I am certainly not going to try to make any money out of it.

I've tried sending them an email, and I've not gotten a response back.

I have a feeling that I may be able to use "artistic license" to get around the copyright issue, but I'd much rather not have to worry about it.

The reason I want the artists to do the voices is because the characters are based on them. CTS basically IS Gabe, SN basically IS Greg. If I can't get them to do the voice, there just won't be any voices at all.

And Ken - putting the video on YouTube wouldn't be a violation of copyright- MAKING the video in the first place would.

eyeonus on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gabe hasn't really been Mike for awhile, and Cardboard Tube Samurai hasn't really been Gabe for awhile.

If you think Mike is a cool enough dude to give you not only permission to use his characters, but also provide voice acting, for free, to a total stranger, surely you have faith that he is not going to bring down brutal legal retaliation because you made a video in honor of one of his creations.

But you know, do whatever you think you need to do to live your dream.

Fugitive on