Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Animals are people too!

145791014

Posts

  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    but backwards

    without privacy

    how do you

    fuck the police

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    do i gotta draw a diagram

    yes

  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yes draw it.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man i can't be bothered with that

    somebody's fucking an old person that ain't an old person (and that scary too)

    and it's a grandson aw hell

    god, what's gotta lead up to that

    a game a of lawn darts over some long island iced teas. a casual flick back of the hair exposing the grandson's pockmarked jowls as sweat drips his freckled brow in a haze of april spring heat

    her loins warm like that of a dying engine making RUHGCHUPAK onomatopoeia noises as your penis becomes more flaccid than it ever did before, essentially reaching such an anti-turgid state it bursts like that evil senator in the first x-men movie

    your dick fucking awash on the ground in some sort of pink watery substance reminiscent of those distant supernova remnants only viewed through the fucking hubble

    it's there, it's all gone and yet still the puddle pulsates as the searing heat of your brain imagines the few seconds of pre coital conversation

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kovak wrote: »
    but backwards

    without privacy

    how do you

    fuck the police

    straight from the underground

  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You think they're gonna go on a carnival cruise together.

    Play some shuffleboard.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    also eff everyone for my pun getting no sold

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Framling wrote: »

    Wow. Okay, uh, if you can't grasp the core concept that freedom of choice is more important than well-being, I don't know how to help you there, pal.

    Actually I want to come back to this because I think it is really a hugely unbalanced view that is pretty much the dominant perspective in the Western world.

    Freedom of choice (or, more accurately, the feeling of freedom) is one form of subjective well-being. This should be common sense. It feels good to feel free. It feels better to feel free than to feel oppressed. Therefore, subjective well-being.

    Subjective well-being is more than just emotional happiness. We're not talking Brave New World, here. Well-being is all the categories of experience that are preferable to an inverse experience. If you want to learn more about this I recommend reading up on George Lakoff (cognitive science professor at Berkeley).

    But basically the idea is, it feels better to feel healthy than to feel sick. It feels better to feel free than to feel oppressed, better to feel strong than to feel weak, better to feel wealthy than to feel poor, and so on. There are a lot of these categories, but not an infinite number.

    But anyway, the point is the feeling of well being is more important than the objective reality. For example, people in Columbia report feeling healthier than Americans and Europeans report about their perceived health. So, our objective health is not as tied to our subjective feeling of health as we think. Obviously, if you have TB you aren't going to feel healthy no matter what, so objective health is still obviously a worthwhile goal. However, we're missing half the point of policy if we don't find ways to effectively couple objective gains with subjective gains.

    Finally, I think the idea that one category of well-being/suffering (freedom/oppression) should be perceived as more important than all other categories combined is absolutely ridiculous. We live in a society where we have already demonstrated that it's worth it to trade away lots of autonomy for other forms of well-being. We don't live in a libertarian nightmare world where the FDA is a for-profit company that we subscribe to if we choose to know which drugs will actually work or not. It's not worth the tradeoff.

    I think we need a more holistic view of well-being. One that isn't obsessively focused on 18th-century European ideals about freedom, but on all forms of well-being.

  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Framling wrote: »

    That's a nice false dichotomy you've got there.

    It's not a false dichotomy! Having no police force is absolutely, 100% a gain in privacy. A HUGE gain.

    You're the one asserting privacy is inherently good. I'm asserting it is generally or mostly bad.

    You're the one whose argument would suggest that losing privacy is always a bad thing that we would never prefer.

    This is a problem for your argument you have to confront.

    Yeah, I totally ever said that.

    Privacy is inherently good.

    So is safety.

    Police provide more good through increased safety than they destroy from loss of privacy. That's why we have them. No one but you is arguing this point.

    Just because one minor invasion of privacy is acceptable doesn't mean that any and all invasion of privacy is okay. That's the false dichotomy: Chaos or Panopticon.

    Privacy is good. People will lie to you your entire life. Oh well.

    I'm tired of having to remove all nuance and subtlety from the things I'm writing so that you can understand them, so I'm done arguing this stupid point with you.

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    man i can't be bothered with that

    somebody's fucking an old person that ain't an old person (and that scary too)

    and it's a grandson aw hell

    god, what's gotta lead up to that

    a game a of lawn darts over some long island iced teas. a casual flick back of the hair exposing the grandson's pockmarked jowls as sweat drips his freckled brow in a haze of april spring heat

    her loins warm like that of a dying engine making RUHGCHUPAK onomatopoeia noises as your penis becomes more flaccid than it ever did before, essentially reaching such an anti-turgid state it bursts like that evil senator in the first x-men movie

    your dick fucking awash on the ground in some sort of pink watery substance reminiscent of those distant supernova remnants only viewed through the fucking hubble

    it's there, it's all gone and yet still the puddle pulsates as the searing heat of your brain imagines the few seconds of pre coital conversation

    bravo

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    man i can't be bothered with that

    somebody's fucking an old person that ain't an old person (and that scary too)

    and it's a grandson aw hell

    god, what's gotta lead up to that

    a game a of lawn darts over some long island iced teas. a casual flick back of the hair exposing the grandson's pockmarked jowls as sweat drips his freckled brow in a haze of april spring heat

    her loins warm like that of a dying engine making RUHGCHUPAK onomatopoeia noises as your penis becomes more flaccid than it ever did before, essentially reaching such an anti-turgid state it bursts like that evil senator in the first x-men movie

    your dick fucking awash on the ground in some sort of pink watery substance reminiscent of those distant supernova remnants only viewed through the fucking hubble

    it's there, it's all gone and yet still the puddle pulsates as the searing heat of your brain imagines the few seconds of pre coital conversation
    'From the first moment that I saw him, I knew we would never have a grandmother-grandson relationship,' Pearl remembers happily. 'For the first time in years I felt sexually alive.'

    Phil admits that he had the same feelings towards Pearl.

    'I wanted to kiss her there and then,' he says. 'My feelings were overwhelming.'

    The pair spent the first week shopping, bowling and eating out. During the second week, giggly on wine after a night out, Pearl decided she wasn't going to deny her feelings anymore.

    'I called Phil into my bedroom, sat him on the bed, and then I leant over and kissed him,' Pearl says.

    'I expected rejection but instead he kissed me back.'

    Pearl then explained to Phil what she'd discovered about GSA.

    'I was thrilled and excited,' Phil says. 'I could be with Pearl and it was OK because she'd never raised me or been in my life.'

    That night, grandmother and grandson became lovers.

    'Making love to Pearl was a real eye-opener. It was love combined with all this sexual tension that had been building up,' Phil openly explains.

    HOT

    zw3k8eu.gif
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

    Yeah, you're right. Privacy is such a silly notion. Someone shouldn't be able to keep the fact that they're HIV positive private if they want to,
    But you understand the risk of privacy is that they can choose to keep that information private even when having sex with other people, and thereby harming others?

    or that they're homosexual. Just get everything out in the public domain so bigoted assholes can have even more reasons to persecute people that are different.

    But the problem here is bigotry, not privacy. Again, privacy isn't even an effective defense anyway. As soon as it's breached, the bigotry comes through. Also, what about all the groups that can't hide their difference?

    I mean isn't this sort of the don't ask don't tell argument? People forced to keep things private out of bigotry is not a good solution.

    someone probably already addressed this that's not as dense as you are, but it's pretty goddamn thick to say that it doesn't matter if someone persecutes you once they find out you're HIV positive because hey they were bigots anyway, the act of persecuting you isn't as important as the simple fact of being bigots I guess

    also it's already illegal to knowingly spread HIV to others, so you're wrong and stupid on both counts here

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm clawing out my eyes and slapping my teeth against this desk

  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never found out what kind of freaky shit my parents were into, and they never found out what kind of freaky shit I'm into. I guess that's really the nightmare scenario, right BackwardsName?

    (See, I'm not arguing now, I'm just making fun of you.)

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    i'm clawing out my eyes and slapping my teeth against this desk

    keep going

    I'm at half mast

  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    afhfsahsfah

    adssodffgg (FFAKLAWRRR)

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Framling wrote: »

    Yeah, I totally ever said that.

    Privacy is inherently good.

    So is safety.

    Police provide more good through increased safety than they destroy from loss of privacy. That's why we have them. No one but you is arguing this point.

    But don't you see how this is a logical contradiction? How can an inherent good result in any negative consequences? Then it wouldn't be inherently good, it would be conditionally good. It would be good only in context.

    One inherent good can't be better than another inherent good. They're both intrinsically, eternally good. Wouldn't any choice between them be arbitrary?
    Just because one minor invasion of privacy is acceptable doesn't mean that any and all invasion of privacy is okay. That's the false dichotomy: Chaos or Panopticon.

    Minor? The invention of police was a major overhaul in the way the government interacted with its citizenry. It was a redefinition the social contract, practically!

    I'm not saying we choose between chaos or panopticon, I'm saying there is a clear correlation that less privacy yields many other goods, such that I question the merit of calling privacy a "good" in the first place. If more privacy is generally bad, then why call privacy good at all?
    Privacy is good. People will lie to you your entire life. Oh well.

    I just don't understand why you're so set on saying it's good if you acknowledge that less of it is often, indeed very often a good thing. You may desire privacy, but we desire plenty of things that are bad. We sometimes desire violence, or heroin, or a dude fuckin his grandma.
    I'm tired of having to remove all nuance and subtlety from the things I'm writing so that you can understand them, so I'm done arguing this stupid point with you.

    Bullshit. I'm asking for clarity and consistency. If you can't provide that, that's your problem, not mine.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    could I request that people stop using the term "false dichotomy"

    like I know I got a really awful forum handle here but you ain't gotta keep making me think I got some kind of evil doppelganger running around

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Skipping from the first page to this one makes me think I missed a lot ...

    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Skipping from the first page to this one makes me think I missed a lot ...

    privacy rights and why they are/aren't important

    you're caught up

    edit: oh also there's a new zealand boy who is boning he grandma

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    nah, I'm pretty sure it's your problem backwards considering pretty much everyone but you gets it

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    could I request that people stop using the term "false dichotomy"

    like I know I got a really awful forum handle here but you ain't gotta keep making me think I got some kind of evil doppelganger running around

    gonna put the words false dichotomy in my sig

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    This was supposed to be the thread about people making fun of PETA.

    Instead it's the return of stupidsname and his pseudo D&D, which stands for Dumb and Dumber.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): munkusbeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    someone probably already addressed this that's not as dense as you are, but it's pretty goddamn thick to say that it doesn't matter if someone persecutes you once they find out you're HIV positive because hey they were bigots anyway, the act of persecuting you isn't as important as the simple fact of being bigots I guess

    I didn't say it doesn't matter. I questioned whether privacy actually provides any solvency in really protecting people in the first place. It's far from a guarantee of protection -- hell, plenty of people will persecute someone just on the suspicion they're gay, even without proof!

    Am I not allowed to question the efficacy of a proposed mechanism of solvency? I think privacy is a poor defense, one that is easily breached and that doesn't even have to be breached in order for bigotry to assert itself.
    also it's already illegal to knowingly spread HIV to others, so you're wrong and stupid on both counts here

    Right. We've decided that that much privacy is not OK, so we violate it reactively. I'm just saying it would be fine if we did proactively too.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    don't think I won't swear vengeance against you, TLB

    I'll do it

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm watching Batman not fuck Zatanna.

    Also, TLB, the Tyger Tyger thing is like half done.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    nah, I'm pretty sure it's your problem backwards considering pretty much everyone but you gets it

    I mean it's stupid for me to even engage you, because you never in your history of posting have demonstrated a capacity for debating ideas in good-faith that exist outside of what you've already cordoned of as "acceptable" disagreement.

    You're not someone who is interested in evaluating ideas that you find emotionally unsatisfying, or which you consider outside of the culturally accepted mainstream.

    Not my problem.

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    This was supposed to be the thread about people making fun of PETA.

    Instead it's the return of stupidsname and his pseudo D&D, which stands for Dumb and Dumber.

    you know how crippling I find your disapproval to be

    because I respect your intellect so much

    what will i do

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah, ok backwards you fucking win
    since privacy doesn't protect perfectly, it is useless and evil and should be abolished

    fuck you

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    don't think I won't swear vengeance against you, TLB

    I'll do it

    pfft you can't swear vengeance on me

    I am vengeance

    I am the night

    I

    AM
    Spoiler:

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I'm watching Batman not fuck Zatanna.

    Also, TLB, the Tyger Tyger thing is like half done.

    finish it in exactly 1 hour so when I get home I can read it

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    and yeah, I'm not "arguing" in good faith just because I won't engage in your idiotic semantics games and call an apple an apple

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    don't think I won't swear vengeance against you, TLB

    I'll do it

    pfft you can't swear vengeance on me

    I am vengeance

    I am the night

    I

    AM
    Spoiler:

    New avatar?

    batmantiszorak2spacegho.jpg

    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fox news correspondent called Mr. Rogers an "evil, evil man"

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    and yeah, I'm not "arguing" in good faith just because I won't engage in your idiotic semantics games and call an apple an apple

    no you won't even consider the idea that privacy isn't inherently good (which, of course, is the culturally accepted stance in contemporary America).

    Any suggestion otherwise you dismiss out of hand as patently absurd, and not worth debating. Anyone who disagrees with this notion just doesn't "get it."

    You pull out appeal-to-majority fallacies and the like because you have no interest in actually trying to convince anyone of your argument because you think it ought to be accepted a priori.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    fox news correspondent called Mr. Rogers an "evil, evil man"

    but see, the fact that they're bigoted toward him is the real problem so if people actually committed violence against him as bigots it's not really as important as the simple fact that they were bigots apparently

    it's like some kind of meta crime where being a bigot is the crime so since you're already guilty you might as well throw rocks at some homos, it doesn't make it any worse I guess

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    This was supposed to be the thread about people making fun of PETA.

    Instead it's the return of stupidsname and his pseudo D&D, which stands for Dumb and Dumber.

    you know how crippling I find your disapproval to be

    Sucks for you! Hunter-gatherers don't use wheelchairs!

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): munkusbeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    yeah, ok backwards you fucking win
    since privacy doesn't protect perfectly, it is useless and evil and should be abolished

    fuck you

    I said it doesn't protect well, and it has its own negative consequences.

    Again, you're not engaging with the ideas presented with any kind of sincere effort.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    and yeah, I'm not "arguing" in good faith just because I won't engage in your idiotic semantics games and call an apple an apple

    no you won't even consider the idea that privacy isn't inherently good (which, of course, is the culturally accepted stance in contemporary America).

    Any suggestion otherwise you dismiss out of hand as patently absurd, and not worth debating. Anyone who disagrees with this notion just doesn't "get it."

    You pull out appeal-to-majority fallacies and the like because you have no interest in actually trying to convince anyone of your argument because you think it ought to be accepted a priori.

    and this is why I have so little respect for you
    I never, ever claimed that privacy is inherently good

    I simply pointed out that some things should be allowed to be kept private if the person so chooses out of fear that they'll be discriminated against

    in other words, FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

    pompous blowhard silly fucking goose

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    QUIET! All of you!







    They're approaching the Tyrannosaur paddock

    zw3k8eu.gif
145791014
Sign In or Register to comment.