As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So instead of dancing around the whole PAX logo issue, why not work towards a Triwizard Drinking Tournament coin?

It's PAX related, it's drinking related, and completely avoids any infringement issues.

Just throwing it out there. :lol:

this is pretty much what I've been trying to suggest...a coin that could maybe use the colors of penny arcade but no copyrited material so that you can sell/trade/give away/burn your coins

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So instead of dancing around the whole PAX logo issue, why not work towards a Triwizard Drinking Tournament coin?

It's PAX related, it's drinking related, and completely avoids any infringement issues.

It's a nice thought.

On the negative side, I wouldn't want a TDT specific coin, as I'll be doing setup in the convention centre while you fine folks are out drinking, so as much as it is a part of PAX it is not a part that I am part of. :cry: You'll unfortunately run into that with some people if you get too specific.

Although I wouldn't be out there trying to get one or donating towards one, a TDT coin does fit in well with the concept, could be tied into the tournament and would offer some visibility. Perhaps opening up to coins from other segments of PAX (like perhaps the CCST or Cookie Brigaders) in the future. Maybe even one that I might want. :winky:

Any ideas on design? You'd probably have to avoid anything specific to the houses (crests ect) as the coin makers won't press anything that might be copywriten. I would hope the term Triwizard is not trademarked.... if it is then Rowling has spent too much time hanging around with Lucas. lol.

That being said, I've seen how this community reacts to cool things, and I really don't think there will be much of an issue raising enough donations if a cool enough PAX logo'd coin design is submitted.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so what ideas would people want incoporated into a coin that doesn't necessarily have PAX stuff all over it but is still recognizable as PAX related?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeing as I kinda started to clusterfuck off, I should clarify myself.

I would like to have one for myself, so if that means that I need to chip in some cash for the run, I'm okay with that to a point. My only concern is that I am trying to save money to go, and I don't know if I'll even have the money to go by then. However, if I get money and I'm able to go, I'll toss in some money (not $100 like the others, but some to help out).

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so, I really love the idea of this, it's something I fully support, but my fun in this would be to get 20-25 coins to give away at events etc. since that doesn't really seem like a possibility even if I were the biggest financial supporter of this (unless I were the initial purchaser) then I'm probably out, unless we come up with something that can fit that model.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Personally, this is what I envisioned for a coin.

('Scuse the crappy work. I'm drunk and suck at GIMP anyway.)

Something that exact shape that spells out "Penny Arcade" clear as day. But put logistics aside, comment on the design solely for me.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    iscribbleiscribble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Personally, this is what I envisioned for a coin.

coin.jpg
    ('Scuse the crappy work. I'm drunk and suck at GIMP anyway.)

Something that exact shape that spells out "Penny Arcade" clear as day. But put logistics aside, comment on the design solely for me.

This is almost exactly the way I was hoping the coin would look too. Maybe a more serious/intense Tycho and Gabe could better fit. Ex: Precipice of Darkness or images from the card game?

Otherwise, I'd want to make sure the design actually fits on a coin without making it too busy.
    Steel Fire wrote:
    ...No matter what any individual does to chip in, contribute ideas/plans, or design no one has any more chance to get a coin than any other person who has never even been near the forums...

As I suggested before, let's create a sign-up sheet to reserve at least one coin. Anyone who finds the link can sign up, but let's post the link in this thread. Only forum folks (at least at first) will know about where to sign up. We could allow a reservation of multiple coins, or cap the number of "reservable" coins.

iscribble on
  • Options
    JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would like to get a coin or two for myself in case I happen to loose one. Would an email go out to the people that would like to be on the list or how would notification be made?

Jeppy

Jeppy on
  • Options
    munkyboy0930munkyboy0930 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am very interested I don't know how much I could put up but oxfroggy and me are very into the idea.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Since this coin is fundamentally used for getting drinks out of people, I think this makes perfect sense.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ok yeah so if it goes for a not penny-arcade logo I am not so in.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, I think what a couple of people have tried to politically say, and in a lot more words, needs some clarification......

Lets stop discussing distribution and money/payment altogether!

Lets ONLY talk about design for a little while, since without a design the entire rest of it is moot anyways.

I like both the idea of a round coin, and a logo shaped one, but I think it should be the PAX logo, NOT the PA logo. This is afterall, the PAX forums section, and we are going to PAX :P The back can have PA things on it, that's fine in my mind, but I think the logo should be very clearly PAX and not just general PA.

My current two cents = entered!

As a side note, thank you very much Khoo for clarifying, the conversation was getting out of hand and you stepped in smoothly and with a few deft keystrokes ironed us all out :D

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also think it should have the PAX logo.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How about something like this? I can get a cleaner/crisper/bigger version if this design goes all the way...
    final.png

Obviously it would need to be simplified to be possible on a coin, so this is just an idea.

iscribble on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How about something like this? I can get a cleaner/crisper/bigger version if this design goes all the way...
    final.png

Obviously it would need to be simplified to be possible on a coin, so this is just an idea.

that is nice I would like that.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have a more simplistic version of the original image now. This would be much easier to transfer onto a coin:
    simple.png
    As before, there is room for improvement/refinement.

iscribble on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    The design shouldn't have the year, because then they're not reusable for future printing (minting?)

Also, an idea I came up with in IRC yesterday. Why not have somebody draw up a PAX Community logo. Something that doesn't infringe on the PAX or PA logos, yet is still unique to the community and thereby recognizable as such? I think that could solve some (but not all) issues.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also, an idea I came up with in IRC yesterday. Why not have somebody draw up a PAX Community logo. Something that doesn't infringe on the PAX or PA logos, yet is still unique to the community and thereby recognizable as such? I think that could solve some (but not all) issues.

This isn't a bad idea really. We do so many things as a community, I'm surprised we haven't come up with a logo of our own yet.

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    We're going in circles! The same 3 or 4 people are suggesting the SAME thing...make a coin with our own logo... If we want this coin we need to start reading and listening to each other's posts. This is getting very frustrating and we haven't even gotten to the money issue that would be cleared up with the creation of our own logo so that we could sell the coins without a problem...

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Its cause SOME PEOPLE dont bother to read the thread :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

yeah I know! That BigRed dude...don't tell him I said so but...after he showed up this thread has gone to pot!

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

What chu talkin bout READ?!

I think we should do our own logo for the coin and not worry about the PAX/Penny Arcade logo as well.

Now then, how about some of you creative folks start working on some designs?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if we take Moes idea and get a Community Logo made, we could (if i understand Khoo's ruling) make it into a "Pay one, get one; pay 25 get 25" venture. The logistics could be relativity simple to figure out: one person pools money, makes purchase. that person brings them to PAX, coordinates with the rest of the lurkers in the thread on the best times and dates to distribute them OR we could add the cost of shipping and send them out 2 weeks prior or something. for the distribute at pax idea, it could be PPD/TWDT on thurs. and various times/locations friday/saturday/sunday inside the WSTCC. after sunday, what coins are left over are liquidated however is decided best by the mob. the mail idea would be more concrete in receiving the coins, but it adds more cost to the process; plus theres issues from the mail, international participation would be stifled and anything else unforseen.

there may be issues and flaws in my idea; but from what ive concluded from the last 7 or 8 pages of banter; this should work. or something like that.

edg2000 on
    Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
  • Options
    Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, Where can I buy these uber cool PAX coins I've been hearing about?

I've been lurking long enough..couldn't resist...lol

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    horse.jpg

Still discussing funding when we haven't even nailed down a design. So far, we got what, two concrete designs?

simple.png

and

coins1copy.jpg

I'm not discounting the idea of a community logo or anything. I think it's a valid idea. But my points for a PAX/Penny Arcade design were to appeal to all Penny Arcade readers, not just the small percent that might visit the forums.

I'll go with whatever the most popular design is, though, be it a Penny Arcade logo or a community driven one.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    coins1copy.jpg

I like this one lots.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not discounting the idea of a community logo or anything. I think it's a valid idea. But my points for a PAX/Penny Arcade design were to appeal to all Penny Arcade readers, not just the small percent that might visit the forums.

I'll go with whatever the most popular design is, though, be it a Penny Arcade logo or a community driven one.

See, here lies the issue. I think we might all be on two separate pages.

Considering the location of this thread, and most of the subject matter and discussion, I think what we are trying to produce here is a Penny Arcade EXPO coin, not a Penny Arcade COMIC coin. And yes, they are two very different things.

I have no issue with a PA coin, but this is not the place for one, in my very non-professional opinion.

We aren't pandering to PA readers, or the teeming masses of PAX, this is for US, as a forum community. It's ok to make it appeal to others as well, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that 95% of any participation in this at all, is going to be PAX forumers.

Last note: I'm not trying to offend anyone or seem hostile, so please don't take anything I say the wrong way! :)

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Snickers wrote: »

See, here lies the issue. I think we might all be on two separate pages.

Considering the location of this thread, and most of the subject matter and discussion, I think what we are trying to produce here is a Penny Arcade EXPO coin, not a Penny Arcade COMIC coin. And yes, they are two very different things.

I have no issue with a PA coin, but this is not the place for one, in my very non-professional opinion.

We aren't pandering to PA readers, or the teeming masses of PAX, this is for US, as a forum community. It's ok to make it appeal to others as well, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that 95% of any participation in this at all, is going to be PAX forumers.

Last note: I'm not trying to offend anyone or seem hostile, so please don't take anything I say the wrong way! :)

I agree with Snickers. I like PA the comic, but I'm here because of PAX. A coin that didn't have the official PAX logo on it, or something very close to it, wouldn't interest me.

I would be in favor of a community logo, but it would have to bear a very close resemblance to the PAX logo. I heart the PAX logo.

Also, like Moe said, I don't think it should have the year on it. If it does have the year on it, make it very small, and have that be the distinguishing factor in years going forward. It doesn't need to year to make it significant.

Arco on
  • Options
    orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let me say that I'm massively in favor of a PAX community coin, because dangit I want to distribute some at the triwizard drinking tournament.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • Options
    circeramonecirceramone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok, my biggest strength in gamer-life is "farming" for enough materials to trade in for my desired object. I desire a coin.
    First things first. We need to somehow come up with coin that satiates both East and West PAX. (I'm assuming, of course, that both coasts are equally in favor of this new...thing).

Personally, I like the coin idea that has Gabe/Tycho on one side, and PAX on the other. My only suggestion would be that instead of having the year split above and below, have some sort of East & West logo above and below, so that no matter which PAX we forumers went to, the coin would suffice for both.

As such, I understand that people want this to be a PAX-forumers-only thing... here is my issue with that. PAX 09 was my first PAX ever. And for the first time, I felt embraced by a community I didn't know existed. When I pledged a monetary amount to this project, it was never meant to see any sort of "investment" on my end, I only meant my contribution to be a means to allow fellow gamers/forumers who were so lovely and accepting at my first PAX to be able to enjoy this particular thing with a smaller concern towards their own financial contribution.

I feel like we should come to some sort of agreement on the coin design before we dictate how it will be dispersed; since this is likely to be the same coin at both PAX-West/East.

circeramone on
    PAX East 2013 [x]3 day pass [ ]Airfare [x]Hotel [ ]Coin
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    simple.png

This one without the year is ideal for me. I'd buy this just to have it.

Maybe have a smaller PA logo at the top, but I'm a PA fan, so :shrug:

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Is it likely to be the same coin? I figured, like buttons, stickers, cards, whatever, we'd do a different one each PAX. Then again these are substantially more expensive.

EDIT: Also, and please don't take this as rude or a dis on anyone's efforts, but I wouldn't be excited to plunk down any money for a coin unless the design was fucking sweet. Some MS Paint cut and paste graphic work is fine for buttons and stuff, which are sold in quantities of dozens and are largely disposable, but this thing is serious business. It's solid metal. Marines keep these things in their pockets. I would feel kind of silly and embarrassed plunking a thing down on the counter if it looked like it was made in a few minutes by someone who wasn't a professional. I wouldn't want such a thing to be made, especially considering the history and significance of challenge coins.

This is just my personal view. I'd only invest in the making of or even buy a coin if it looked amazing.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Arco, that is a totally acceptable opinion. I agree too. Buttoneers buttons are fairly inexpensive for a lot of them, but these are metal coins that can't really be remade if there is a small issue. I will say though, that people should still submit ideas, and if we get one really good artist to take the favorite and tweak it till it's perfect, then we're in business.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When I saw iscribble's image what I thought it might end up as is something like this:

E80W7.jpg

Forgive the roughness of this. Think of the darker areas as being raised in the metal of the coin.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Willeth - holy balls, that looks awesome! I'd be totally on board for that. That's fucking sweet, especially if it's still rough.

I would be down for a little more "fanciness," like the military coins have, like patterned edges/borders and stuff like that. Just to dress it up and make it look a little more ceremonial. As a start, though, I think we have our first promising design.

Arco on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I definitely degree with Arco, Willeth's design is exactly what I was thinking of when i thought of a PAX coin. Details to dress it up would be cool, but that's a great base.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't take any credit for the design, I'm sure it's what iscribble was thinking of when mocking his up.

Willeth on
  • Options
    inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    +1 coin request from Australia.

Also, willeth's rendering looks awesome, but I agree that some more coin-style detail would be cool.

Maybe have the overall design of the coin be the same, but the pressing details around the outside of the PAX logo? So this pressing, being for PAX Prime 2010 would have:

PAX PRIME (curved around the inside of the top of the coin, like on a real coin)

PAX LOGO

2010 (curved around the inside of the bottom of the coin)

Then, for Pax East 2010, do a fresh pressing. That way, the coin shows when you joined the challenge coin club, allowing you to play rank games like in the wikipedia article.

Just a suggestion.

Edit: Happy to donate up to $100 to the project also, no expectation of any return.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the rework looks awesome! Here's my suggestion for the other detailing:

Since the two main colors for PAX are Blue for prime and Red for east, why not do a one color fill on the Gabe/Tycho side in the PAX color for that pressing? In other words, the raised areas in the design would stay metal, and the other areas would be either Red or Blue, depending on the location.

As for the edges and reverse, would it be more trouble than it's worth to have the PAX dates and location on the edge? Like going around the coin it would read "PAX PRIME 2010 - September 3-5, 2010 - Seattle"? Then the PAX logo side could stay plain, cuz I have to admit, I really like the simpleness of the design.

Anyway, great job Willeth and iscribble!

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    I can't take any credit for the design, I'm sure it's what iscribble was thinking of when mocking his up.

Thanks Willeth, and great job on your version. I wasn't certain if color would be a part of the coin or not so I left a few in my version. If we do end up with this design, I have a bigger version we can work with for the final cut. Perhaps we should remove Gabe's arm from the bottom of the coin?

iscribble on
This discussion has been closed.