As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the clarification, Robert.

This is one reason why I am interested in a unique design that isn't necessarily immediately evocative of Penny Arcade or PAX, but of the elements found within it that are products of the attendees, as well as small things that can be considered allusions to PA or PAX, such as the adorning pac-man and dots/pellets. Again, I'll try and come up with some designs here soon, and I encourage others to do so as well.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification, Robert.

This is one reason why I am interested in a unique design that isn't necessarily immediately evocative of Penny Arcade or PAX, but of the elements found within it that are products of the attendees, as well as small things that can be considered allusions to PA or PAX, such as the adorning pac-man and dots/pellets. Again, I'll try and come up with some designs here soon, and I encourage others to do so as well.

This issort of what I was saying earlier in the thread (was it this thread?) about creating a PAX forum community logo type and using it for this as well as possibly in conjunction with other community events as sort of a visual PAX forum beacon of recognition.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My preference would definitely be the one that was described back a couple pages. With the hand holding the DS up (maybe a generic controller instead?) and the PAX logo underneath. I would not buy into this if it was PA specific and not PAX specific. My only interest in Penny Arcade is PAX, I don't read any of the other forums, and I only read the comic occasionally.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a proposal for the forum emblem that incorporates some of the ideas here. Perhaps something like this:
    propaganda3.jpg

But instead of four fists, there are five hands holding a controller, a mic, a mouse, a DS, and a d20. Then the PAX logo could be on the other side. If this has already been mentioned, or exists somewhere else, my bad. :)

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OMG I don't check the forum for a couple days and this thread (which I dearly love) has exploded with posts! ok the chip in thing is awesome! I hope it means that we can chip in extra, and that those could then be distributed throughout the events? I want to see these show up in more hands than just a few of us, and I'm willing to chip in to make that happen.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • Options
    classeyeclasseye new member
    edited June 2010
    RoadBlock wrote: »
    ...But instead of four fists, there are five hands holding a controller, a mic, a mouse, a DS, and a d20. Then the PAX logo could be on the other side.

I was kind of thinking of something similar to denote each aspect of the convention (i.e. the non-specific controller, the d20, etc.) though placing each one in a hand sounds kind of cool, almost Lakshmi-esque.

If we're going to use hands holding objects, the placement of hands will have to change a bit because arranging vertical things across the bottom of a coin probably won't look all that good.

classeye on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not sure the forum logo needs to have so many things on it. DS, d20, controller, mic, mouse, PAX logo, hands... this is starting to get awfully busy.

Could we maybe go for something simpler?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    classeyeclasseye new member
    edited June 2010
    It may sound like a lot in text but let's not shoot it down before we've even it. Keep in mind that these coins can be get rather large and all the objects can be easily simplified.

classeye on
  • Options
    iscribbleiscribble Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    classeye wrote: »
    RoadBlock wrote: »
    ...But instead of four fists, there are five hands holding a controller, a mic, a mouse, a DS, and a d20. Then the PAX logo could be on the other side.

I was kind of thinking of something similar to denote each aspect of the convention (i.e. the non-specific controller, the d20, etc.) though placing each one in a hand sounds kind of cool, almost Lakshmi-esque.

If we're going to use hands holding objects, the placement of hands will have to change a bit because arranging vertical things across the bottom of a coin probably won't look all that good.

What about in a PAX shape, similar to the way strebalicious did a PA logo coin a few pages back? That might support the horizontal layout a little better.

iscribble on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How's this for a heraldry design?

heraldry.jpg

Someone feel free to take my concept and improve it, as I'm sure my meager skills are showing.

But the idea is to put that on one side and the PAX logo on zee other.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been unexpectedly busy recently but I need to have another look at this thread soon. In the meantime I was reminded of this commemorative 50p coin with the hands idea:

50_73r.jpg

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ugh.
    Sorry, but I'm with the Spoony One on the topic of gunblades: No. Otherwise, I like the way you're thinking with the heraldry deal.
    And yes, I too have been busy. I'm behind on my work due to a motherboard failing to POST, so I've only got my laptop right now, which has shot my productivity in the bum. I'll try and get to putting together some designs soon.
    In the future we should certainly consider some heraldry designs, but we will need to observe the rules of heraldry in the process. :P

papaprinny on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sooooewwww, any news on this?

I'm basically signing up for as much optional shit as I can, and it would be badass to bust out the challenge coin during.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, um

Has anyone considered 3D printing?

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/stainless_steel
    You could easily make it a free-spinning center, low-relief, irregularly shaped coin and it would be cheaper than if you left it plain and had it cast at a traditional foundry. No mold fees, no minimum orders, free shipping, plus the intangible and delicious nerd factor of having something you designed 3D-printed out of metal.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That is a fucking fantastic idea.

Willeth on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god, DO WANT.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Hey, um

You could easily make it a free-spinning center, low-relief, irregularly shaped coin and it would be cheaper than if you left it plain and had it cast at a traditional foundry. No mold fees, no minimum orders, free shipping, plus the intangible and delicious nerd factor of having something you designed 3D-printed out of metal.

:shock:

Holy crap!

Imagine it, a PAX coin that has integrated gears...... or you know... whatever.

Best part about this idea is if we come up with a specific design, due to the low individual price, everyone who wants one can order their own!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, um

I fully support everything in this post, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Hey, um

Holy crap!

Best part about this idea is if we come up with a specific design, due to the low individual price, everyone who wants one can order their own!

Low individual price? Not compared to a standard, minted challenge coin, not by a long shot.

The site says $10/cc and 8.07g/cc for the printed material. I weighed my challenge coin and it weighs 57.1g. Given that the printed material is likely less dense than my minted challenge coin, heck, let's even say it's half as dense you're still looking at 28g, or ~$35 per coin.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Hey, um

Holy crap!

Low individual price? Not compared to a standard, minted challenge coin, not by a long shot.

The site says $10/cc and 8.07g/cc for the printed material. I weighed my challenge coin and it weighs 57.1g. Given that the printed material is likely less dense than my minted challenge coin, heck, let's even say it's half as dense you're still looking at 28g, or ~$35 per coin.

Good to see I'm not crazy. I was coming up with ~5.8cc for my 2" coin, making it cost almost $60 for comparable sized item.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Hey, um

Holy crap!

Good to see I'm not crazy. I was coming up with ~5.8cc for my 2" coin, making it cost almost $60 for comparable sized item.

...I'm glad I wasn't the only one to wonder how someone was getting "cheap" from their prices. O_o

Heleor on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    However some of those dice designs are freaking awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Re: Price concerns

valid points, certainly.

My main point was that 3D was an option that could change the design parameters.
    There are plenty of tricks to getting a better, cheaper 3d print- depending on the coin dimensions they could be partially hollow, or a cut-out design with a simple ring around it, and that would cut a lot of the mass. Essentially the more stuff you cut away the cheaper, in direct contrast to the minted coins- which also require a mold fee, doubled if you want two faces.

I will concede that if your math is right, and if they have to be metal, it will be cheaper to go with a simple minted coin. i had been thinking these were the size of a quarter, maybe silver-dollar. :/

edit: i've just realized that if you 3d-printed the PAX logo the buttons could be actually depressable

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just wanting to chime in that I'd be up for a challenge coin too, and can help front up some of the cost once designs and stuff have been finalized.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, I'm going to have to duck out of doing any more designs, I'm afraid. I've just started a temporary job away from home and all I have is my netbook - I won't be able to do anything until the start of August at the earliest. Feel free to grab any of the stuff I've done previously and incorporate it in any designs you progress to.

Willeth on
  • Options
    krejkrej Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hello!

Having just read this whole thread, sounds like the community is at a crux regarding these coins: PAX logo or no PAX logo. I think this is important to decide upon now to help direct the creative process.

From what I gather, here's the boiled-down implications of each...

PAX LOGO: This would mean making donations to the coin-stamping cause with no guarantee of getting one or more coins (other than hints for donors on where/when to meet to pickup a coin or two.
    >Pros: Would have the very readily identifiable PAX Logo.
    >Cons: No reliable method for folks really interested to guarantee themselves X number of coins so they could hand them out.

No PAX LOGO: Would allow for 1-1 buying of coins (pay for one coin, get one coin - pay for 50, get 50)
    >Pros: Would allow keeners to buy many coins for giving/selling at PAX.
    >Cons: Not quite the same cachet as one w/PAX logo, and likely harder design process to get community agreement (PAX logo is already designed and agreed upon!).

That being said - I think someone needs to make a poll for this (I just had a look and wasn't able to see how to accomplish such). I have a few design ideas but don't want to start throwing in until we know which direction we should be headed.

krej on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    krej wrote: »
    Hello!

Having just read this whole thread, sounds like the community is at a crux regarding these coins: PAX logo or no PAX logo. I think this is important to decide upon now to help direct the creative process.

PAX LOGO: This would mean making donations to the coin-stamping cause with no guarantee of getting one or more coins (other than hints for donors on where/when to meet to pickup a coin or two.
    >Cons: No reliable method for folks really interested to guarantee themselves X number of coins so they could hand them out.

No PAX LOGO: Would allow for 1-1 buying of coins (pay for one coin, get one coin - pay for 50, get 50)
    >Cons: Not quite the same cachet as one w/PAX logo, and likely harder design process to get community agreement (PAX logo is already designed and agreed upon!).

That being said - I think someone needs to make a poll for this (I just had a look and wasn't able to see how to accomplish such). I have a few design ideas but don't want to start throwing in until we know which direction we should be headed.

Not quite sure how to add a poll, as I don't see an option. At this point, I'd really love to see any sort of design either way. We've really only gotten one usable design so far that falls within the limits set forth.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    krej wrote: »
    Hello!

We will not be using any of the PA-branded logos, as it is the wish of PA for us not to do this, and because I honestly don't think it is theme appropriate. I am intent on putting together a design some time soon, pending getting some frustrating hardware issues sorted out. Check back later.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just read through this thread, and think it's an excellent idea.

I would be up for participating/contributing towards getting a coin or even a couple, but unfortunately won't be able to go to PAX Prime. I might be attending PAX East next year, but that remains to be seen.

Not that this amounts to a hill of beans at the moment, just wanted to throw my hat in and indicate interest.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    t2kizzlet2kizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm totally in, just need to know if we're going with pathtags or challenge coins. I'll buy either if there are people willing to trade. Another thought, since these are pretty nice items, we could also trade on the forums and mail to people that we missed or that won't be at Prime. Could be more of a year round type thing, we could include them with our secret santa gifts and stuff like that. I know b/c of the cost I would probably just make one design and order more if needed.

t2kizzle on
    Twitter
    !HufflepuFF 2009 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Team Green 2010 Pokecrawl
    XB Live Tag: t2kizz
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »

We will not be using any of the PA-branded logos, as it is the wish of PA for us not to do this, and because I honestly don't think it is theme appropriate. I am intent on putting together a design some time soon, pending getting some frustrating hardware issues sorted out. Check back later.

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for a PAX logo on it.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I may have missed something but I thought it was stated no PA characters but a PAX logo was ok?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I may have missed something but I thought it was stated no PA characters but a PAX logo was ok?

You're right. PAX logo is fine to use, the Penny Arcade logo or characters is not.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would be interested in getting one for HotSake. He's air force and I'm currently working on a secret project of getting him a challenge coin display. <3 (Good thing he doesn't check the forums much anymore ;) )

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »

You're right. PAX logo is fine to use, the Penny Arcade logo or characters is not.

Oh good!

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    challengecoinschallengecoins Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Nice to see challenge coin interest still going strong. I used to sell these things like crazy, but the demand has dropped off somewhat. Challenge coins completely fill up my closet...drives my wife nuts.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to ask. I do NOT sell these anymore, just offering free advice if needed.

challengecoins on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nice to see challenge coin interest still going strong. I used to sell these things like crazy, but the demand has dropped off somewhat. Challenge coins completely fill up my closet...drives my wife nuts.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to ask. I do NOT sell these anymore, just offering free advice if needed.

How much more would you say the cost of mirror finishes are than a standard piece of metal? Significant? I would like to have a finish like this if the cost isn't prohibitive.
    Military-Challenge-Coins-AirForce-GSM.jpg

papaprinny on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chiming in...

I want one, and I want them for a couple of friends.

I do NOT want one if it doesn't have the official PAX logo on it.

It seems like the point of the challenge coin is for it to mean something to those who haven't seen one before. There are plenty of people who have *heard* of PA/PAX but haven't been able to attend. A "community" logo wouldn't mean much to anyone who isn't on the forums :/

I hope a way can be found for these to be in wide distribution at PAX itself. We all want to go home and slap down our PAX coins and make nerd friends at home buy us drinks because they didn't go to PAX, right?

I realize it might not be feasible, but I do like the idea of putting the years on them (same coin made for both East and Prime... Maybe just the PAX logo on each side, one in red and one in blue?). That way as the years of PAX go by, eventually we get the "My coin ranks yours... You lose" fun as well.

Back to lurking in this thread... And hoping the coins come to fruition.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    challengecoinschallengecoins Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    The mirror finish you are referring to comes only from a purely "minted" coin - which means added cost - approximately double what other companies charge. If you are wanting this finish, then the best place to go, in my opinion, would be Northwest Territorial Mint. (No affiliation)...but I do know they make THE best coins available.

challengecoins on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    Chiming in...

I want one, and I want them for a couple of friends.

I do NOT want one if it doesn't have the official PAX logo on it.
    We give permission to use the logo (assuming it's under 4" in physical size and we get approval on it), but you can't charge for the item. It doesn't matter if it's not for profit. You have to give them away for free.

Okay akjak. I vote you pick up the tab for all the coins.
    I also vote that you go through the process of getting approval.

Nothing against Robert or PA, but going through the approval process is something we would prefer to avoid, as it is simply an added complication. That and I am not that charitable, nor is anyone else here. No one will pay the minting costs for every coin produced.

That being said, the design I create will not contain the PAX logo. Anyone who wishes to submit competing designs are welcome to, though.

papaprinny on
This discussion has been closed.