As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Achievement Unlocked] II - Co-Op achievements without online can eat a dick

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
achievement-unlocked-generator.php?achievement=0G%20-%20Read%20the%20OP
–noun
1. something accomplished, esp. by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art.
2. act of achieving; attainment or accomplishment: the achievement of one's object.
3. Heraldry. the full display of the armorial bearings of an individual or corporation.

Did you hear that? Grinding is a heroic deed.

Welcome to the Achievements thread!

In this thread we talk about Achievements and Trophies and other little tokens of accomplishment that bring life (and gamerscore) into your otherwise dull gaming life. It's also a pretty good place to look if you need some help boosting achievements in games that no longer have functioning multiplayer (Most XBLA games and a fair bit of regular 360 games).

I suppose Steam Achievements could also be discussed here but seriously who does those anyway.
trophy.jpg

Useful Link Things

True Achievements - A well organized site that tracks your achievements, allows you to organize grinding sessions, and a handful of other gamerscore-related features.
Xbox360Achievements.org - A really useful site that has an index of all 360 games and their achievements, as well as guides on how to get them in most cases.
PS3Trophies.org - The sister site to above, the same resource for PS3 games.

Willeth's Technicolor Achievement Challenge
A nifty idea brought to light by Willeth, Achievement Challenges start on Fridays and run for a week. The goal is to raise your gamerscore by as many points as possible in that week. It's a fun way to increase your gamerscore and feel less dirty for grinding out all the achievements you hate. To sign up for the latest one, click that pretty colored. Older challenges will be archived as time goes on.

Games That Need Playing
The basic idea for this is that there are a lot of games that people need achievements for but can't get them because the multiplayer sucks, or nobody plays the game anymore, or both. So from time to time we will arrange large-scale game shindigs where anyone with that game can come play and get the achievements they need. Maybe we'll even end up playing for fun. Maybe.

T4CT on

• Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think we should all get together and have some fun with F.E.A.R. soon.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just as a heads up, the guides at 360Achievements.org are essentially interchangeable with PS3 trophies. It's a rare PS3 game that does not mirror the 360 achievements list exactly. (Platinum trophies don't count.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just as a heads up, the guides at 360Achievements.org are essentially interchangeable with PS3 trophies. It's a rare PS3 game that does not mirror the 360 achievements list exactly. (Platinum trophies don't count.)

But there are exceptions?

DarkPrimus on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But there are exceptions?

I don't actually know. But I've heard it said there are some games that don't match up 100%. Either way, achievement guides are, for the most part, useful/usable for getting trophies.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think this thread is glitched. I got the achievement for reading the OP before actually reading it.

TubularLuggage on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know Burnout Paradise and Deadly Premonition have different lists.

Turkey on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's also the PS3 exclusives issue.

T4CT on
    edited May 2010
    Well, yeah. But that rather goes without saying that a site labeled '360 Achievements' probably doesn't spend much time on PS3 exclusives. But for multi-platform titles, the probability is quite high that an achievement guide will work for PS3 games.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Burnout Paradise is the only game I know of that has different lists on both platforms

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i'm like 300 points away from 40k but man i cant crack it with any of my games i own.... but there's seemingly nothing good to rent at our local blockbuster either hah.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
    edited May 2010
    Well, yeah. But that rather goes without saying that a site labeled '360 Achievements' probably doesn't spend much time on PS3 exclusives. But for multi-platform titles, the probability is quite high that an achievement guide will work for PS3 games.

Yeah I know that, but the reason I asked if anyone knew of a site was for PS3 exclusives. I'd prefer to not just ignore them on the grounds that multi-platform games can share guides.

T4CT on
    edited May 2010
    Oh hey, T4CT

You want a good Trophy site?

www.ps3trophies.org

It is actually the sister site of xbox360achievements.org, the layouts are the same and everything

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    Perfect. Thanks! Didn't even know that existed.

T4CT on
    edited May 2010
    So I actually considered buying Avatar: The Burning Earth for the Achievement challenge.

But nah, I'm not to that point yet.

I did go ahead and buy Resident Evil 5, though, despite already playing through it on PS3. That way I have to work a little bit for my Achievements

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    So...how do I actually sign up for the challenge starting in 7 hours? Is it too late? I'm registered on that site, and I see the challenge page with four participants, but there's nothing there to join up...

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    Guess no one gives a shit about this challenge.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    Willeth is the one running it, I'd say PM him. It might be too late this week, but there's always next week, right?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2010
    I suppose...

But now I'm kinda in the mood to play RE5 and have to wait another week :?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    Start a 'fake' gamertag and play on that one.
    No one will know.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I must try to keep an eye on this one... wonder if I need some multiplayer for some of my really old titles like NHL07/08.

Or the truly ancient ones like Kameo and Call of Duty 3

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I feel like I've been on 45,000+ for ever. Since last year. I wanted to hit 50K before Xmas but at the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to hit it by next Xmas! :P

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I still need a ton of NHL 09 multiplayer

All of them, in fact.

T4CT on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Getting close to doing ME2 100%, but this insanity one is pissing me off.

BoredGamer on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    Getting close to doing ME2 100%, but this insanity one is pissing me off.

It's almost like it's meant to be super hard or something.

Don't worry, the platforms have made me give up on it for a little bit, too.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Almost done with the saboteur, and ODST, one more 200k in ODST and a whole lot more ambient freeplay in saboteur..

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've got essentially all the firefight stuff in ODST to complete if anyone wants to tackle that with me.

Edit: I'm looking at the Halo 3 achievements list...I am never, ever going to get some of these multiplayer achievements. lol.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Maybe link to True Achievements in the OP? It's a great site.

Bogart on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so, i rented The Force Unleashed...

my so/so opinion of the game thus far (very fun an star warsy at times, other times not so much.), it appears it shall be the one to drive me over 40k, which is pretty dandy.

but for anyone who's played it, do the counts for like the 500 kills roll over if i decide to do a second playthrough or am i required to get 500 kills with them in a single playthrough.

Zephos on
    edited May 2010
    I believe it's cumulative. But they're very grind-y. A giant pain in the ass. Only Bossk and Worst Day Shift Manager require it to be all on the same playthrough.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2010
    Cool, thanks. Managed to get Bossk on the first vader mission, since i found a path with infinity spawning wookies :D

I wish the game didnt feel soo.... uneven... at points... i'm having a hell of a time in the innards of the death star on the medium difficulty.

Zephos on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone here have Sonic 2 for XBLA? There's a couple of multiplayer achievements (race all zones and win 10 races) but I've tried three seperate times and there is not a single person playing the game online.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited May 2010
    woo beat it and passed 40k!!!!

is the light or dark side the "offical" ending to the game?

Zephos on
    edited May 2010
    The canon ending is whatever doesn't fuck with the movies. So in this case, LS.

EDIT:
    Also, the Death Star is a fucking pain on the highest difficulty. But by that point, you can skip that whole bullshit at the beginning. It won't help elsewhere, but it's something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1000/1000 saboteur, fun game, grindy at the end but i enjoyed it.

Security zone is my least favorite firefight level and I get bored everytime I try to do it so, those last 10 points evade me at the moment.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Most loathed achievements: playtime a hundred hours for something like Beautiful Katamari.

Bogart on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Does anyone here have Sonic 2 for XBLA? There's a couple of multiplayer achievements (race all zones and win 10 races) but I've tried three seperate times and there is not a single person playing the game online.

I have it but I have to reactivate my account. it will be soon but in case no one else does I thought I'd mention it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I just got Dead Rising.

It is times like this I wish that achievements didn't exist. It'd be a lot better if they were all accumulative.

Sir Platypus on
    edited May 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Most loathed achievements: playtime a hundred hours for something like Beautiful Katamari.

Yeah, I though the same. Until I realised you could just let the game sit on one of the levels. So I just did that whenever I needed to charge the controller battery. As long as you finish the level requirements and then save the game you don't even have to do any real work.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I try to complete any RPG I have, but I just don't think I can grind out 50 starred ranks in the arena in Resonance of Fate. That's like 300 more battles past the 200 I did to complete the Arena itself.

Ganluan on
  • PohlPohl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just unlocked My Brother is an Italian Plumber in Borderlands. Cute, and came as a total surprise. Was just hopping around and then ping!

Pohl on
    Grinding Down - that videogame blog you're not reading.