As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Achievement Unlocked] II - Co-Op achievements without online can eat a dick

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Will it take 800 hours to complete?

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    lol... it will only feel like 800 hours... hopefully...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Blarg, not sure if I'll be able to clear Ground Zeros... it's just so... well, boring.
    I was close but unlocking the trials is a huge timesink. I may give up at 950/1000

So far, I've only completed the first mission... for the first time. I try to get back in and do it again but my mind just goes "yea... let's work on finishing Titanfall, or play this other game."

IDK what I thought it'd be when I started, but it's... not.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not sure why I bothered, but just got the platinum trophy for Beyond: Two Souls. The game wasn't even that great.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Some games just turn into grudge fucks.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Halo 4 was like that for me. And that's not even counting achievements, that was just for the campaign.

Now Saint's Row 4? Jumped back on after my initial rental when it was released. Played through the DLC and started item hunting. Heck, even started up a new character and had to stop myself from doing everything immediately so I could do other things like listen to my homies talk to each other.

newSig.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

This is exactly the reason why I Platinum'd Dark Void.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Titanfall has been Titanfelled. Leaving me with a great big "what next" for my one. But my gamerscore is now 133700, lol.

I guess I can either start The Lego Movie Game... or suffer through Metal Gear some more... idk yet.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So Rayman Legends. I 1000'd Origins and thus was looking forward to this one. Sure enough, it's a super fun game with BEAUTIFUL graphics and fun music. This time around, it's a lot easier. I would put that down as somewhat me being much better at it after Origins, but it's mostly they just neutered how hard it was. The difference becomes really clear when they do a "Back to Origins" version of an incredibly tough stage originally... that you just blow through 100% in one try in Legends. The treasure chest chases are not even 1/4 as long and they've removed the incredibly precise parts AND the parts where the screen would blow you out if you slowed down accidentally.

In short, it's easier and shorter but I'm not disappointed because of the incredibly fun atmosphere the game generates. And also those last stages are an incredible troll, ESPECIALLY the very last one.

As far as achievements though, they got 80% done and then did something terrible/ridiculous. Online daily and weekly challenges. On the outset, that's fun and a good idea. But then you realize what horror they committed. The hardest achievement would require around EIGHTY STRAIGHT DAYS of excellent performances. The list also requires you to beat a friend on your friend list THIRTY TIMES (I think around 15 days would be the fastest you could do this). Why the FUCK Rayman Legends added a Gears of War Seriously?! type achievement to the very end of its list confuses the shit out of me.

Obviously Rayman Legends will surpass all games as the one everybody wants to play online.

Right?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Obviously Rayman Legends will surpass all games as the one everybody wants to play online.

Right?

"Our game needs a little more oomph, if you get good, you can finish it in three days or so, easily."

"How about online timing/performance based challenges that you can score attack against other players. We can base them on our template levels."

"Ooo, good idea. Let's make it so that you have to play for more than three months on a daily basis to complete the achievement list."

"what"

"OH, and we can make it so that there's no cap for what constitutes a gold medal, instead it's based on the average of everyone playing that day. That way when the player base drops to purely the most skilled/dedicated players, it will become increasingly difficult to EVER get a gold on a daily challenge. It will be almost statistically impossible to get diamond that way!"

"stop"

"So if you get stuck with a silver at best, it'll take over half a year to complete the list!"

"I hate you."

• symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    I crossed Rock Band Blitz off the other day, pretty fun game overall. Now I'm finishing up Assassins Creed Revelations. The only thing between me and 100% is Carnival, probably one of the easiest cheevos in the game except that noone plays the DLC maps. Anyone need that one too?

edited May 2014
    crap... not sure if I have that DLC or not...

EDIT: I DO!

But it'll have to wait till... the 25th or so. I need to borrow a physical copy of the game.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    I'd be up for it, but I haven't even started the single player. And I still don't have that bullshit level 50 for Brotherhood.

I also still need the four player game and beat a Unicorn from YDKJ.

I still need to finish that VR DLC thing in that game. I have a few multi achievements from that DLC that I needed to do (inc that one) but couldn't for the same reason as you: nobody plays the DLC maps. No idea where that game is atm though.

In other news, I completed the police brutality simulator DLC of Sleeping Dogs (Year of the Snake)... that game is/was so fun. I hope that they make a next gen version of it. It was fun not shooting everybody all the time. It's also amusing that the city in that game looks a lot better than the city in Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I have to finish at some point.

Recently bought a copy of Defiance, going to see how that works out. r

Well, if we end up setting up a day and time for Revelations achievements, then I'll join in so long as I don't have to play single player first. (Same basic nonsense. Online sucks. Don't wanna spend time thinking about constantly logging back in. Would rather saddle the hassle with others online. Etc, etc, etc. You know...the usual.)

I would ask that maybe we squeeze in some Brotherhood sometime?
    Stupid Ubisoft making the minimum per map being six and needing to work to level fifty. Bastards.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Well, if we end up setting up a day and time for Revelations achievements, then I'll join in so long as I don't have to play single player first. (Same basic nonsense. Online sucks. Don't wanna spend time thinking about constantly logging back in. Would rather saddle the hassle with others online. Etc, etc, etc. You know...the usual.)

I would ask that maybe we squeeze in some Brotherhood sometime?
    Stupid Ubisoft making the minimum per map being six and needing to work to level fifty. Bastards.
    Pretty sure you can do the three way team mode with just three people in Brotherhood.

I could borrow both AssBro and AssRev from my friend and help with those.

And YDKJ

newSig.jpg
    I propose that a weekend might be best? I'm down for all the AssBro-ing and Rev-ing and YDKJ-ing.

This week on XBL Kane and Lynch 1 is on sale for $5. I was going to check if anybody was interested in helping with co-op.

But they brilliantly made co-op offline only.

The other multiplayer is online, though, including the DLC. It still bothers me they never made a sequel/follow-up to Freedom Fighters and this is (mechanically) the closest we got. So I think I'll pick it up to replace my old copy and pick up a few of the single-player achievements I apparently missed. Co-op can be done 'solo', so there's that.

Anyway, I don't like that the game is sitting on my totals with merely 330 points. Any interest in helping with the genuine multiplayer?

You know what I need? I need my 360 DVD drive to stop working. Could anybody out there give me any tips on how I can prevent the tray from opening?

Oh, wait... Nevermind! I've managed to accomplish that task on my own. Huzzah!

uh... why would you want to break your drive?

edited May 2014
    I cleaned mine out literally yesterday because of that.

symbolsor on
    I'm sure I could give that a shot. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have a can of air on hand.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I bet a friend from work that I could get all of the single player achievements in Red Dead Redemption in the time it would take him to get a Platinum trophy in God of War 3. It made me start comparing my gamer score with his and some of my other friends and I realized something bizarre: Even though most of my friends have had a 360 at least two or three years longer then me I have one of the highest game scores. And it is not even an impressive score.

Anyways does anyone have any experience with both games? I actually looked up how long it would take on How Long to Beat and he has at least a ten hour advantage. But I am hoping my experience with gaming and achievement hunting will give me an edge.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    I don't know about GoW3, but all the single player stuff in RDR is pretty easy to get mostly by just playing through it. The hardest one to grind out is killing 500 people with mounted weapons. Throughout the game you might only kill about 100, max. But there are two places you can kind of, sort of get it. (Kills in multiplayer are supposed to count toward the achievement, but I never played that part.)

Of course, if you count two-way achievements as not-single-player, then you don't have to worry about it. Pretty sure you can skip all cutscenes to save time (but if you've never played the game, it kind of kills the whole atmosphere thing.) Finding all the buried gold may require some walkthroughs because they're not all easy to find. Picking certain flowers may put you in danger of getting killed by cougars as does the 'kill two cougars with a knife' task. Also, I think there's a kill a bear with a knife task, too.

Two-cougar tip:
    Find a place 'relatively' safe from being ambushed by a boar/cougar/bear and shoot the cougar with a fairly low powered weapon and then quickly switch to a knife and make with the stabbing. Works with bears for that matter.

And sometimes, like most Rockstar Games, the animal you're trying to hunt doesn't spawn when you just need one more fucking pelt.

All-in-all, probably twenty hours. Maybe less. It all depends on how fortunate you are with certain tasks and how quickly you can get though missions. On the plus side, if you're not worried about in-game reputations and such, then killing bounties just makes it a little faster there, too.

edited May 2014
    symbolsor wrote: »
    I cleaned mine out literally yesterday because of that.

By the way, that worked. So, thanks.

You may have to check your mail again at some point...

EDIT: Now it doesn't work. Awesome!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    I was hoping the best for you with the can of air but I had to disassemble mine. This guide will get you through it, you don't really need the opening tool as long as you have a small flathead laying around. I greased the runners and the two cogs next to the wheel with the rubber band too.

For RDR, there's also the "Ride across the entire map in one 'day'" achievement which you'll need a fast horse and learning how to properly pace it for, then there's the two secret achievements that I know of
    Tie a woman up and leave her on the tracks to get hit by a train. That one might take a while given the train schedule.
    And kill ALL the buffalo. It's always a pain finding that last one or two.

newSig.jpg
    Thanks for the tips everyone but I should have mentioned I am using a walkthrough from True Achievements to make sure I do not miss any. I usually read up on achievements when I first get a game to try and avoid missing any of them. My biggest problem now is that I want to play Saints Row The Third as well but it will have to wait.

The train schedule in RDR isn't that bad. You can see where they are on the map so you can plan accordingly. For the buffalo, you just have to ride away and come back later.

And having a walkthrough helps, but you still gotta find that one fucking longhorn ram that has heard about your hunting trips.

Hey santa, did you try taking the front cover off the 360, and tapping the bottom (or partially inserting) a butter knife or credit card into it to jimmy it loose?

Sort of. I have to consider whether or not I want to send it for repairs or just buy an S model w/ Kinect and then a 320gb HDD. I'm in no particular rush, though I'd have preferred to pick up a PS3 if only for a Blu-Ray player.

We'll see.

The train schedule in RDR isn't that bad. You can see where they are on the map so you can plan accordingly. For the buffalo, you just have to ride away and come back later.

And having a walkthrough helps, but you still gotta find that one fucking longhorn ram that has heard about your hunting trips.

Yeah that kind of random spawn can really fuck a game up. Without any sort of time constraint it is not a big deal but I am feeling the pressure. Almost finished the main story already.

Does anyone else use the true achievement website or something else like it? It is interesting to see which achievements are rare even for people who own the game. I think my top one is from completing classic ironman in XCOM enemy unknown.

Sort of. I have to consider whether or not I want to send it for repairs or just buy an S model w/ Kinect and then a 320gb HDD. I'm in no particular rush, though I'd have preferred to pick up a PS3 if only for a Blu-Ray player.

We'll see.

Just a heads up... the license transfer for me is still kinda spotty in that sometimes I'll have to delete the entire item and redownload it in order for the license (and offline playability) to take effect. About half my Rock Band songs STILL won't work without a connection and I really don't want to have redownload all 100gigs in that folder again.

Anyway given your connection issues, that might be something else to think about.

newSig.jpg
    furlion wrote: »

Yeah that kind of random spawn can really fuck a game up. Without any sort of time constraint it is not a big deal but I am feeling the pressure. Almost finished the main story already.

Does anyone else use the true achievement website or something else like it? It is interesting to see which achievements are rare even for people who own the game. I think my top one is from completing classic ironman in XCOM enemy unknown.

Yeah, most of the people that post here regularly use TA site....

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    TA is pretty much the only reason i care about my gamerscore. until i was introduced to that sight, achievements were just fun little novelties. now though, with all the stats and percentages the site tracks, i can't help but get sucked in, deeper and deeper....

edited May 2014
    Man, TA's email/newsletter is how I learn about some upcoming news and then shared them in various threads.

Also nice enough of them to separate base game from DLC achievements (so Reach is still 100%ed for me according to their site).

EDIT: I think I'll always be proud of 100% 1 vs 100 since it's discontinued.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg