As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

any input on Walker Coonhounds?

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Picking up food for the resident critters and it was an adoption thing at the Petsmart. Saw a super sweet mellow and quiet walker coonhound mix, 2yr Male. Wife wanted to take him home right there but I got her to wait til the middle of the week.

seems like he would be a great dog and fit in with our older girl. our concern is how he would be around our 2 cats. web search seems like it is hit or miss. some are curious but ok others are bad. so looking for anyone who might have input.

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dogs are hit and miss with cats is the thing. In general, dogs that are bred to hunt or chase small furry things are bad with cats, but that isn't always true. See if they'll test the dog with cats for you. Or let you bring it home for a trial, lock the cats in a room and let him sniff the door. Or put the cats in a carrier and see how he reacts to them in there.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never known of a breed that can't be trained to coexist with a cat. Individual dogs, however can definitely vary.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Breed tendencies really don't matter. You need to find out if this particular dog is okay with cats. It doesn't matter if he is the only individual of his breed that is or isn't okay with cats.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Coonhounds take a lot of walking and exercise. They're really high energy dogs. And walker coonhounds are treeing dogs. I don't think it'd be a great fit unless you have a large outdoor area that you can let the dog run around in.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My dog is half walker coonhound half black lab, and she gets along great with my cats! Actually, she likes the cats a little too much as she goes and nuzzles and kisses them and they don't like it. Obviously YMMV, but it shows its not impossible to train one to be well with cats. I should also mention the cats were here since before she was so she grew up around them and I believe one of them scratched her once and she learned her lesson. To clarify, she's never been a threat to the cats, just the cats were afraid of her to begin with and 'defended' themselves.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well i know its going to vary depending on the dog. just looking to see if its going to be a lost cause or not. this guy was super super mellow didn't bark at other dogs from his crate and seemed happy to just take it all in. right now the plan is to bring our girl to the shelter to meet him on thursday and while we are there cat test him. depending on his response we woul dthen take him home to try him out with our guys. our one cat would probably hold his ground though the other would run.

mts on
    camo_sig.png