As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Thor] touch his hammer, you know you want it

1111213141517»

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So I've read the Thor Ultimate Collection by Kieron Gillen
    And I plan on getting Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself
    Is there anything I should pick up in between?
    I'm mostly interested in the Kid Loki story, but I wouldn't mind other Thor stuff. (As long as it's good)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    I'm mostly interested in the Kid Loki story, but I wouldn't mind other Thor stuff. (As long as it's good)

You've read all the JMS Thor right? If not I'd highly recommend it. As for stuff inbetween I'd say Fraction's two Thor stories, World Eaters and the first Might Thor volume, are worth picking up. WE is already out in trade while the first volume of MT is only in hardcover format right now.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I have the JMS Omni

Mighty Thor looks good, I'll check that out. Thanks
    World Eaters has some terrible reviews on Amazon, though. Is it really worth it?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    Yeah, I have the JMS Omni

Mighty Thor looks good, I'll check that out. Thanks
    World Eaters has some terrible reviews on Amazon, though. Is it really worth it?

Ignore the Amazon reviews, it's not a bad story at all. Great art and it tells the origin of Kid-Loki and the resurrection of Odin.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Cool, thanks

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    World Eaters is indeed good stuff

a lot of people got mad because Fraction's Thor is a little more of a jerk than usual(which was understandable since Siege JUST happened) and it veered back into the crazy Kirby cosmic madness after the fairly traditional fantasy tone of Gillen/JMS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fraction's jerk Thor is really annoying

But hey, the art is cool and it does have crazy cosmic shenanigans

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So uh

Mighty Thor was awesome this week

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    It really was. I love where Fraction's going with the Thor plot and with the Tanarus stuff.

Course, I like jerk Thor, so I'm weird.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well it's official... my dreams have come true. The Warriors Three have now fought their way into Warhammer aka the franchise with the awesome Orcs that go WAAAAAGH! My two favorite franchises have collided.

In case you don't know, the Gotrek and Felix novels are Warhammer's most successful and long running series. They are to Warhammer as Drizzit is to dungeons and dragons. Quite the popular series. The most recent Gotrek and Felix book is an Anthology of short stories by various authors. In one of these short stories three Warriors accompany Gotrek's best friend, a goofy Dwarf Slayer named Snorri, on an orc killing adventure.

The first of these "brothers" is named Volg Staahl the Voluminous (yes THE VOLUMINOUS). The oldest of the trio, he is a very tall and obese man, who also happens to have a massive red beard. He is loud mouthed, boisterous, fun loving, comical, and a lover of food and drink. He IS Volstagg.

The second of these "brothers" is named Flanders Drahl. He is a lover of the ladies, incredibly handsome, a master swordsman, and the proud owner of a trim blonde mustache. He is every bit as dashing and smooth as Fandral.

Then there is Grim Hogan. He is very grumpy, to the point, has a thick black mustache, and wields a massive mace. He also happens to be foreign.

There is literally NO WAY these characters are not shout-outs to the Warriors Three.

God I hope they return for future novels.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Turambar wrote: »

Thor: The Mighty Avenger is so much fun and it's got Chris Samnee art. It tells the origins of Thor from a very light hearted, fun point of view; Thor: Ages of Thunder takes the exact opposite view, and we get full on Jerk Thor Origin, and tries to reconcile Marvel Thor with Norse Myth Thor. I'd recommend both of these, just to get two different looks at Thor's origin.

The Walter Simonson Omnibus and Thor: Tales of Asgard are great if you want retro-awesome Thor. The Omnibus is pretty pricey, though.

Thor Disassmebled is a great story that precedes the JMS run, and really digs into the Ragnarok myths and builds up Thor's character.

If you've read The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2, look into reading Ultimate Thor. It's a great Thor story that fills in a lot of holes in the Ultimates.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for advice on what Thor TPB's are worth picking up. I've started with Jurgen's run and have read Vol. 1, 2 and have started on Vol. 3. I'd like to pick up anything good between what I have and Thor:Disassembled. So out of this list I found, are their any titles that are pretty bad/I should just skip?

Jurgens: Vol. 4
    Across All Worlds
    Death of Odin
    Lord of Asgard
    Gods on Earth
    Spiral
    Gods and Men

So far, I've found Jurgen's first two volumes to be okay. I really liked JMS Thor and Thor Disassembled though.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Jurgens' Thor gets better as the series goes on. With Death of Odin it takes a strong shift into something new, and it really kind of sucks that Disassembled kind of put a squash to it all. In the end it was a worthwhile shift as JMS helped make the character relevant in terms of sales, and Jurgens has enough time to wind it down without being really jarring, but it was one of those status quo things that could benefit the Marvel universe as a whole and make Thor really be a Superman (and WW) analogue.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sorry if this is a given, but you've read or are planning to read Simonson's run, right?

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Jurgens' Thor gets better as the series goes on. With Death of Odin it takes a strong shift into something new, and it really kind of sucks that Disassembled kind of put a squash to it all. In the end it was a worthwhile shift as JMS helped make the character relevant in terms of sales, and Jurgens has enough time to wind it down without being really jarring, but it was one of those status quo things that could benefit the Marvel universe as a whole and make Thor really be a Superman (and WW) analogue.

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. Guess I'll grab all of them then.
    Sorry if this is a given, but you've read or are planning to read Simonson's run, right?

I know that I should....but I don't know. I have hard time enjoying older comics. I'll have to look for some scans from his run and see how I feel about it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dude.

walt-simonson-thor-modern-warfare.jpg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love Fandral kicking ass with the rocket launcher

though really

I just fucking love that picture because it is so goddamn metal

however

Thor, please shave

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The simpson run holds up over the years, trust us. If you like thor, you are doing yourself a disservice not reading his run.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    Thor has always been a great character. It is sad, that it took his appearance in films to make the world understand his appeal.