As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a basic laptop for graphic design

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
I'm looking to replace my laptop for one geared around graphic design work. The bare minimum I want is a dedicated graphics card, decent sized screen and it doesn't have to be incredibly fast since the most I'll be doing on it is using Opencanvas 4.5 with my tablet. Hopefully, if it's possible I'll be able to strip down my old lappy and add the RAM from that into the new one so a high ram isn't an issue.

Coule anyone reccomend anything for me? I'm on a budget and am looking for something low end, around the £400/$600 range but am willing to go higher if that price is unreasonable. I really don't mind an older, more basic model as long as it has a dedicated graphics card for graphic design work.

Thanks for any help.

To clarify the most I'll be doing are things like posters, digital painting and such, I'm not planning to use it for 3d programs.

EDIT: I'd like to know what kind of systems would suit me best for my needs. At most I'd be running photoshop or a similar program but I don't intend to get it. But If I do get it I'd like to know if I can get away with a cheaper system with no graphics card but more processing power to compensate.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're gonna be doing mostly Open Canvas, you don't really need a dedicated graphics card. AFAIK, that program is all about the CPU.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't plan to be gaming on this system but I may end up with Photoshop or something similar at a point. Do I really need a graphics card? I can deal with a bit of slowdown with higher end programs if it means i can pay less for something without a dedicated graphics card.

I don't suppose someone could explain what kind of system/specs I'd need? Can I get away with no dedicated graphics card if the system has a lot of processing power/ram? I honestly don't know too much about hardware like this so any advice would be appreciated.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png