Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Harry Dresden: Wizard, White Knight and Complete Dork.

• MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Passer, Dead Beat is kind of a low point. I mean it doesn't mean the world is getting safer for Harry afterwards but I would say Proven Guilty is less downbeat. Plus it moves on to more of the upbeat ones like Ghost Story.

Mazzyx on
    falasig.png
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Passer, Dead Beat is kind of a low point. I mean it doesn't mean the world is getting safer for Harry afterwards but I would say Proven Guilty is less downbeat. Plus it moves on to more of the upbeat ones like Ghost Story.

Hah, yes, Ghost Story. I know the general context of that one.
    Spoiler:

Perhaps I am not giving Butcher enough credit - entirely possible he could turn the general context of Ghost Story into something pleasant.

Still, gonna start slogging through Proven Guilty. Suspicious that I'll regret it, but ehn. If it's too much I can always take a break after and finish up Polgara the Sorceress before continuing on.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I really liked Proven Guilty. I pretty much totally dig anything with more faerie intrigue.

I am in the business of saving lives.

camo_sig2.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've got a group ready to play it, but we still need a GM. Interested, or do you want to be a player instead?

I'm currently unemployed (hence the reading pace), and would be quite interested in a gaming group. I have no familiarity with the system though.

History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
    Speaking of reading pace, I'm now through books 10 and 11.
    Spoiler:
    book 11
    Spoiler:
    A friend of mine was saying how much she loved the audiobooks, so I've got book 12 on mp3, so it'll take a bit longer to get through. Probably listen and restart yet another game of baldur's gate 2.

History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
    jdarksun wrote:
    That's the last good audiobook. :(

Heh, yeah, that's also what she said.

lawl
    Spoiler:

Roman
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    My favorite line in the entire series is in Changes:
    Spoiler:

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    My favorite line in the entire series is in Changes:
    Spoiler:
    Ramirez, I believe?

Sanya.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I just finished Ghost Story. Arise, thread!
    Spoiler:

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Audio version of 13 is fine. Not the same but not bad either.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote:
    I just finished Ghost Story. Arise, thread!
    Spoiler:

I thought the implication was that
    Spoiler:

Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

I always thought that the implication was that
    Spoiler:

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    On coercion:
    Spoiler:

edited November 2011
    Off the top of my head, I think he hints that the Denarian was female and that she was familiar with exactly when to hit Harry with just the right thought. And that she's very practiced at that kind of thing.

Which really points big giant glowing arrows directly at Lashiel. Though Butcher was probably being purposefully vague so he can asspull later down the line if he decides to do something else. Butcher likes multiple-choice foreshadowing.

Kana on
    Lochiel wrote:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I just relistened to Dead Beat and Lash basically:
    Spoiler:

• LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Lochiel wrote:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I just relistened to Dead Beat and Lash basically:
    Spoiler:

What Lash really did was
    Spoiler:

But Dracomicron makes good points I hadn't considered before. I'm no longer certain it was Lashiel.

Lochiel on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    any interesting updates?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 0705-3757-3938
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    any interesting updates?

Butcher is still working on Cold Days it seems. And there are some more short stories coming down the pipe as well. Other than that, no real updates. I check his site periodically so I can put up when Cold Days gets a release date.

falasig.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I hope it is soon. I might have to get around to running the RPG if Dresden-withdrawal continues like this. (The city: Miami. Think Burn Notice, Miami Vice and Dexter, but with Wizards...)

• frogurtfrogurt Registered User regular
    It's funny, Butcher released a new Dresden book every year for more than a decade right until I got into the series. The idea of having to wait an additional 6 months or so for the next one to come out is painful.

sig_cyoa-1-1.jpg
    Lochiel
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So it's YOUR fault, Frogurt. You goose! :P

"For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    This thread reminds me though that I tried watching the TV show on Netflix sometime in late winter or early spring and that I couldn't even get past two episodes. Hell I couldn't watch a single one without falling asleep!

Lochiel
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This thread reminds me though that I tried watching the TV show on Netflix sometime in late winter or early spring and that I couldn't even get past two episodes. Hell I couldn't watch a single one without falling asleep!

The only good thing about that show is the fact that they were what introduced me to the books in the first place (though I remember seeing someone reading Fool Moon at an SCA meeting back when it was fairly new-ish.)

Thinking back to them though, kinda wished the show lasted long enough to get thier take on Michael Carpenter (and his family) and the nickelheads... though maybe it's a good thing it didn't.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I haven't watched the show but didn't they severely alter the mythology and some characters, like Bianca, to be more mediocre?

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    I thought this thread was about a forum poster named Harry Dresden.

2212462-batsig.jpg
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Registered User regular
    Yeah it pretty much changed things at random too. I am usually pretty tolerant of changes that makes sense when changing medium or for budget...but they changed things of no apparent reason and often for the worse.

We are not low.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Boston, MARegistered User regular
    frogurt wrote: »
    It's funny, Butcher released a new Dresden book every year for more than a decade right until I got into the series. The idea of having to wait an additional 6 months or so for the next one to come out is painful.

I think that Butcher is suffering from some fatigue now that his series is so popular. Several years ago when I first read he had planned out 20 books I thought that was a little...excessive?

He's got the major storylines all in play. And I don't think he needs another, seven books to tie everything up.

I am in the business of saving lives.

camo_sig2.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I think that Butcher is suffering from some fatigue now that his series is so popular. Several years ago when I first read he had planned out 20 books I thought that was a little...excessive?

He's got the major storylines all in play. And I don't think he needs another, seven books to tie everything up.

20 is a lot, but it isn't uncommon for long running series to run for a long time. Honor Harrington is about to have its 14th book published, the Vorkosigan Saga is on its 28th and Discworld has finished on its 39th.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

23ish according to the FAQ on his site, the last three forming a three part apocalyptic trilogy.

I don't know if it's fatigue, or just that he's got so much more crap to keep track of when writing a Dresden book. The current books are also a lot better written then the earlier ones in the series (let's be honest here, the first books were pretty hard to get through). Between the higher quality of writing and the drastically increased cast, it makes sense they'd take longer to write. I mean, in the first books he had what, 3 or 4 characters to track? It's not easy to write a novel, even if you've got a fairly limited cast that is at the center of everything, sure you had hints of larger things happening but that was background information.
    Spoiler:

Also, wow, it's only been a year since Ghost Story was released? It feels like it's been longer then that.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime "We're ready to believe you..." FireSideWizardRegistered User regular
    When the next book comes out I will probably switch back to my Dresden avatar. It's been out of service for a while.

55uviDS.png
    This neo-feudalism would be more tolerable if our betters had fancy titles.
  • qwer12qwer12 Registered User regular
    This thread popped up and I thought, "Oh, is the new Dresden book out? Sweet!" You guys are mean for raising my hopes like that :(

steam_sig.png
    see317
    Foefaller wrote: »

The only good thing about that show is the fact that they were what introduced me to the books in the first place (though I remember seeing someone reading Fool Moon at an SCA meeting back when it was fairly new-ish.)

Thinking back to them though, kinda wished the show lasted long enough to get thier take on Michael Carpenter (and his family) and the nickelheads... though maybe it's a good thing it didn't.

I saw the show first too, and since I hadn't read the books didn't know what was changed. So that helped it be alright. Upside to it getting killed off I guess, I didn't have time to think of it as the way things should be and then learn how much better it could be. I think they did alright casting Harry at the least.

"For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I have a shirt left over from the production crew that I got from a friend who works in film and tv. I still haven't bothered with the show, though.

(Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated June 24th. Dark Souls Diaries - Completed
    stream

20 is a lot, but it isn't uncommon for long running series to run for a long time. Honor Harrington is about to have its 14th book published, the Vorkosigan Saga is on its 28th and Discworld has finished on its 39th.

I think you're wildly overcounting on the vorkosigan books. There's been a fair share of novellas and then omnibus rereleases, which you might be accidentally counting.

And even then some of the Vorkosigan books are stuff like Ethan of Athos or Floating Free which while more or less in the same universe really has nothing to do with any Vorkosigans nor any of the main plots.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I don't think Butcher's plan for 20ish is too drastic, it's an excellent character and he's really expanded the universe from what it was in Storm Front. Compare it to something like Salvatore's work which really hasn't improved much since he began and he's 23 books into a story mainly based around one character with another 8 based on side characters. I'd much rather another 10-15 Dresden novels over more Drizzt novels if Butcher continues to expand the story as much as he has over the last 3-5 novels alone.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    are we safe for open discussion of ghost story? eh just to be sure
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 0705-3757-3938
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    Definitely looking forward to the next book. I've gotten my girlfriend hooked on the series (she's finishing up Turn Coat) and she checked out the show one day. Apparently the first two episodes left her unimpressed as well, I've never bothered looking.

Gotten another friend into the books as well, she just wrapped up the third, and hopefully her boyfriend will pick at them as well.

As for the series; setting up over two decades worth of work for yourself is probably daunting, but if they keep selling as they have, it's not a bad way to ensure yourself an ongoing revenue stream.

sigone.png
    edited July 2012
    Pailryder wrote: »
    are we safe for open discussion of ghost story? eh just to be sure
    Spoiler:

That's what I'm kind of scared of.
    Spoiler:

Xeddicus on