Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Harry Dresden: Wizard, White Knight and Complete Dork.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    TJrockus wrote: »
    This isn't the first book where Harry is referred to as "starborn" is it?

No. It came up before.

"For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

No. It came up before.

Bad guys keep bringing it up. Good guys either don't know or don't care.

edited December 2012
    Spoiler:
    Though, she didn't use the term I don't think actually, so maybe this was the first book that used that exact phrasing. Oh, I know- Think it was He Who Walks Behind who did first. Yet I can't find it damnit..sigh.

Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Regarding black magic:
    Spoiler:

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It's a consequence of the "magic has to be something you believe in" criteria. Investing your will in the death of another has metaphysical effects. So it's the intent to kill (or harm) that is corrupting.

edited December 2012
    Except then there's the "except when used against non mortals" clause, otherwise every Wizard we've seen would be all Black Magicing it up. Not to mention the intent seems kind of irrelevant. The one sure piece of black magic we know of so far, mind bending, was used with the intent to help and is still black.

Xeddicus on
  • TJrockusTJrockus Registered User

No. It came up before.

Know where by chance?

• FearbreedFearbreed Registered User regular
    on Murphy and Butters
    Spoiler:

No. It came up before.

Know where by chance?

As I said, I couldn't find it again. The concept comes up in White Knight in the big finale, but not the term "Starborn". I can't find where the Walker mentions it (if he does, fuzzy).

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    Probably in ghost story

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

No. It came up before.

Know where by chance?

As I said, I couldn't find it again. The concept comes up in White Knight in the big finale, but not the term "Starborn". I can't find where the Walker mentions it (if he does, fuzzy).

A demon he summons up. Rails on about him and his mother.

Lasciel/Lash. Most notably in her final scenes

Any walker ever

For some reason I want to say Mavra, but I think that's just because the Black Court is related to the outsiders somehow.

EDIT: Demons name is chauncy or something similar?

Moridin889 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

No. It came up before.

Know where by chance?

A demon he summons up. Rails on about him and his mother.

Lasciel/Lash. Most notably in her final scenes

Any walker ever

For some reason I want to say Mavra, but I think that's just because the Black Court is related to the outsiders somehow.

EDIT: Demons name is chauncy or something similar?

Nah, Chauncy didn't mention anything about Harry being Starborn or whatever. Just hinted that Harry's parents hadn't died under the circumstances that Harry believes. At least, so far as his appearance in Storm Front.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Just did a search in my ebooks and the term "starborn" doesn't show up till Cold Days.

I dunno, I take you seriously on some topics and dick rider is your profession
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Just did a search in my ebooks and the term "starborn" doesn't show up till Cold Days.

Doesn't "starchild" get used a bit earlier? Harry's special bonus vs outsiders gets mentioned earlier than that, I think.

Try "Starchild." I think that that was the term used.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Starchild = Hell's Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night.

That's my theory at least. Harry is going to cause of the Apocalypse in some way because he is a starchild. What ever that means.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Nope, no "starchild" or "star child". Any other terms you'd like me to look for?

I dunno, I take you seriously on some topics and dick rider is your profession
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The Walker didn't call him anything in Ghost Story, but it's still revealed that he has a magical destiny connected to the Outsiders, since him not getting ripped to shreds had to be justified.

Page- on
    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated April 14th. Dark Souls Diaries - Day 18
    stream
  • TJrockusTJrockus Registered User
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Nope, no "starchild" or "star child". Any other terms you'd like me to look for?

Shucks. Thanks though, I just lost a bet to my girlfriend :/

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    You know what really bothered me about Cold Days?

The lack of Ghostbusters references.

(Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated April 14th. Dark Souls Diaries - Day 18
    stream
  • JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    Except then there's the "except when used against non mortals" clause, otherwise every Wizard we've seen would be all Black Magicing it up. Not to mention the intent seems kind of irrelevant. The one sure piece of black magic we know of so far, mind bending, was used with the intent to help and is still black.

Maybe it all comes back to human's free will being a big thing.

Wacky theories time!

By using black magic on a human you're interfering/taking away their free will.

Doing this with magic is bad and has a side effect (maybe as a balancing act) of corrupting the caster, making him lose some of his free will.

Now the caster, being corrupted and with less free will, will be more inclined to reuse black magic.

Repeat.

It could explain why using it against non-humans isn't a problem (no free will to interfere with) and why other beings don't have this problem (no free will to lose).

Changes Spoiler
    Spoiler:

If free will defines human beings, then by losing it you become less human. When changelings choose to be fae they are giving up what humanity they have and their free will.

Big Cold Day Spoilers
    Spoiler:

End Of Ramblings :P

steam_sig.png
    Page- wrote: »
    You know what really bothered me about Cold Days?

The lack of Ghostbusters references.

Seriously! A Titanic reference but no Ghostbusters?

We have a giant containment unit of evil monsters. That's in risk of blowing up and letting everything out.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2013
    Losing or taking free will shouldn't make you less human. Willingly giving it up should. Slight difference. But it's a theory.

Nice theory re: Cold Days (Cold Days spoilers, surprise):
    Spoiler:

Xeddicus on
    Karrde1842
    Losing or taking free will shouldn't make you less human. Willingly giving it up should. Slight difference. But it's a theory.

Spoiler:

Cold Days Spoilers
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Re: "starchild". While he's not necessarily called anything in particular, a big deal is made over when he was born, and about being able to fight/control/do shit to Outsiders, at least above and beyond what the average person is capable of. I believe it comes up when he meets Thomas and they delve into his mother's history? I haven't done a full re-read in a while so it's a bit fuzzy.

Off the cuff, I believe whenever the topic comes around a point is made that he is capable of this influence, but the impression/insinuation has been generally that this makes him unique, possibly one of a kind (without necessarily saying as much).
    Spoiler:
    Or it could just be an unintentional thing we'll dwell over for the next 5 years.

Forar on
    sigone.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Re: "starchild". While he's not necessarily called anything in particular, a big deal is made over when he was born, and about being able to fight/control/do shit to Outsiders, at least above and beyond what the average person is capable of. I believe it comes up when he meets Thomas and they delve into his mother's history? I haven't done a full re-read in a while so it's a bit fuzzy.

Off the cuff, I believe whenever the topic comes around a point is made that he is capable of this influence, but the impression/insinuation has been generally that this makes him unique, possibly one of a kind (without necessarily saying as much).
    Spoiler:
    Or it could just be an unintentional thing we'll dwell over for the next 5 years.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Cold Days Spoilers
    Spoiler:

I'd just have to declare the entire concept of black magic horeshit if it worked that way (everything after the first instance). Which it may, guess we'll find out. Maybe.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll come across any more benevolent entities.
    The vast majority of what we've seen have been outright hostile, (Outsiders, Black court) predatory/parasitic (red/white courts), or a best neutral but not terribly caring about humans (The Fae).

On the other side we've got the White God and his servants who do little very direct intervention, Odin, who seems to like people OK
    Spoiler:
    , and Mouse who is best.

steam_sig.png
    The
    Spoiler:
    seem to be on our side. We only know 3? of them.

Harry mentions a binder of more or less neutral things (cabbage patch spirit).

I'd say the White God is as good as it's going to get. And since he seems to outrank everything else combined it's probably about even.

edited December 2012
    The loa are generally but not exclusively benign, at least.

Professor Phobos on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'd say the White God is as good as it's going to get.
    and Mouse who is best.
    Man it's like you didn't even read my post.
    :P

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Mouse is the White God.

Proof: The opposite of White is Dark. God backwards is Dog. Therefore, White God is code for Dark Dog.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Antimatter
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

True, and with the nature of the Nevernever
    Spoiler:

sigone.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged Dramatic Lens FlareRegistered User regular
    Phew, just re-read Dead Beat. Cold Days had left a bad taste in my mouth, so I wanted to re-read my favorite Dresden book. Goddamn its so good. And wow, a lot of clues to some of the revelations in Cold Days in there too. I had kind of forgotten some of the build up to these "end game" scenarios that I feel are currently present.

Dead Beat. So goddamn good. I *heart* you butters.

Dead Beat is my favorite as well.

edited December 2012
    Did anyone else see the PA comic strip today and think of a certain Cold Days character?

Also, I'm curious, does anyone know if Gabe and Tycho read the books? It feels like something they would be into.

Shadowhope on
    I did now that you mentioned it. Ha.

• FearbreedFearbreed Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    What the hell happened to Cristos is one of the things that I'm most interested in finding out. He's been a bad guy for three years now and on the senior council.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    What the hell happened to Cristos is one of the things that I'm most interested in finding out. He's been a bad guy for three years now and on the senior council.

Well in that time, we've had three books.

Due to events and circumstances in those books we (and I can't believe I'm saying this) have had bigger fish to fry than dark wizards on the Council.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg