As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Dresden: Wizard, White Knight and Complete Dork.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Dresden is a horribly biased narrator. Despite all the evidence otherwise, he still thinks women are weak and need defending. Marcone is noted for his defense of children, so if you're going to claim he has underage prostitutes you will need to source that.

Dresden suspected that when he first went to Marcone's brothel. We don't know for sure, but I think Dresden thought they were the same age as the child who Marcone put into a coma. It was either the second or third novel.

Way later, I think the 9th or so. The women there are the same age as the child would be now, i.e. of legal age. (Which would explain why Beckitt cares for them.) I'm pretty sure he would have blown up the whole building if he had actually suspected they were underage.

Guess I need reread my Dresden books. lol

Reread. REREAD?

You need to re-listen to them. In the smooth buttery tones of James Marsters.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm seriously considering that, as I love those and hear the Marsters versions are awesome. Anywhere to get them cheaper?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think you can get a lot of them from the library audiobook system. I know I could get them locally and our libraries kind of suck.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Ringo wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    BatmanJedi Butters is my most anticipated character of any upcoming dresden book. Who would have thought he could go from a bumbling ME (or was he assistant ME?) to this?

let me tell you this story about a farm boy from a moisture farm

He was never a real farm boy. His uncle and aunt were hiding him from his destiny, but destiny has a way of finding you.

Butters stumbled onto this path by peer happenstance. Ergo, Butters is greater than Luke.

Yeah, I went there. What are you going to do about it?

If Dresden's pet theory about the swords holds true then:
    Butters is descended from Royalty somewhere back down the line. So really it was destiny in this case too
    I think they point out that at some point, if you go back far enough, everyone is related to royalty. I don't think it's destiny, simply Harry's pet theory. Multiple people have carried the swords since that, and none of them especially needed a relation to royalty so much as they needed to epitomize the emotions related to the sword.

Bloodlines are a big thing in the Dresden Files, but it doesn't mean fate or destiny. It means having different options and choices, different doors opened to you. There's several cases where people have simply turned down those options (magic ability, Fae parentage, the Swords, ect.)

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    BatmanJedi Butters is my most anticipated character of any upcoming dresden book. Who would have thought he could go from a bumbling ME (or was he assistant ME?) to this?

let me tell you this story about a farm boy from a moisture farm

He was never a real farm boy. His uncle and aunt were hiding him from his destiny, but destiny has a way of finding you.

Butters stumbled onto this path by peer happenstance. Ergo, Butters is greater than Luke.

Yeah, I went there. What are you going to do about it?

If Dresden's pet theory about the swords holds true then:
    Butters is descended from Royalty somewhere back down the line. So really it was destiny in this case too
    I think they point out that at some point, if you go back far enough, everyone is related to royalty. I don't think it's destiny, simply Harry's pet theory. Multiple people have carried the swords since that, and none of them especially needed a relation to royalty so much as they needed to epitomize the emotions related to the sword.

Bloodlines are a big thing in the Dresden Files, but it doesn't mean fate or destiny. It means having different options and choices, different doors opened to you. There's several cases where people have simply turned down those options (magic ability, Fae parentage, the Swords, ect.)

And the other way round in the more recent novels...
    Bloodline? Screw bloodline, it's HALLOWEEN!

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Oh man, Jim Butcher is going to be at Denver Comic Con, which I just happen to have a three day pass for. Definitely going to find him.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh man, Jim Butcher is going to be at Denver Comic Con, which I just happen to have a three day pass for. Definitely going to find him.

Try to get him to join the forums!

...what, I think he'd fit right in here. There's no ulterior motive of wanting to pretend to be his friend or anything.

None of that at all

• Options
    Well I didn't manage to do that, but I did get him to sign my Kindle and Storm Front! He even double signed the Kindle to make sure it would stay. Super nice guy!
    http://i.imgur.com/z20xDft.jpg?1

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Quick, ebay them while the ink is fresh! :P

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Damn, I had a chance to go to the Denver ComicCon but didn't due to not wanting to take off of work.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Damn, I had a chance to go to the Denver ComicCon but didn't due to not wanting to take off of work.

My dad went and met Jim Butcher. I think he got one of my first editions signed. I think Skin Game?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Quick, ebay them while the ink is fresh! :P
    Never

Also, this: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2015/05/coolness-of-harry-dresden/

"Polka Will Never Die!" T-Shirt getting made. Yes please.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Is Skin Game the last book published so far?

If so, I think I'm finally caught up.

And holy shit is it a completely different series than it was at the start.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yup. Skin Game is the latest one. And since it's been a year now with no release date for the next one in sight, maybe I should start another re-read.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    That's because he's releasing Cinder Spires #1 first. Looks like that's due out in September, and iirc he sent it off to editors a little bit ago so he's probably working on Peace Talks now.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Oh I know about Cinder Spires. I'm looking forward to it. It's just been a year since new Dresden and I'm getting antsy.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    He should go back to being able to write 2 series at once and still pumping out Dresden yearly! But then George 'Reluctant 'Riter' Martin puts things into perspective, I guess.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Is there a compelling reason to read these books in order?

I thought I'd try them out, but the only one my local library has is Changes.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Is there a compelling reason to read these books in order?

I thought I'd try them out, but the only one my local library has is Changes.

Yes. They are quite closely related and you will miss out on the best experience by reading not in order.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely would not start reading at Changes. You might be able to mix around the first few books a bit, but they build off of each other, and by Changes there's a lot of backstory. A lot a lot of backstory.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    You miss out on the title of Changes itself by skipping the previous books, even. Do not skip!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yes, you want to read them in order with the exception of the first 3 books that are all "sort of" parallel time frame.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    He should go back to being able to write 2 series at once and still pumping out Dresden yearly! But then George 'Reluctant 'Riter' Martin puts things into perspective, I guess.

Yes every time I get antsy at the pace of a writer I just have to think most do not take 5-8 years to put out one book and Jim Butcher is young enough to live to the end of his series and I am getting less and less certain old george will.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Reading the Paranet Papers supplement. It's pretty interesting and has some good concepts- though I dislike how many things they put in "plot device" category, and it isn't as strong as the previous two books. (the idea of a group of minor talents roleplaying as Dresden and co is hilarious though).

Also let to a moment of WTF, considering revelations from the later books. Accepting 'gifts' from Faire is widely described as a Bad Idea. Santa Claus exists, and is a faire. Oh dear.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Reading Changes first would be nuts

The only crazier book would be like Ghost Story

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I feel like reading Changes first would be worse than watching Empire Strikes Back before A New Hope.

• Options
    Let's not get crazy.

We're not calling anyone heretics in here

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    No hes right. Reading Changes first is pretty far, far away...long long ago...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Let's not get crazy.

We're not calling anyone heretics in here

Sounds like something a heretic would say...

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So I went ahead and read Changes as my intro to the series.

I think I'll start reading from the beginning now though.

Gonna be tough wading through 11 more books before I find out who
    shot Harry.

I keep picturing Dresden as this guy though:
    ioAv4fh.jpg

The guy on the cover of the books looks too much like Sam from Supernatural.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I picture him as Paul Blackthorne.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Reading the Paranet Papers supplement. It's pretty interesting and has some good concepts- though I dislike how many things they put in "plot device" category, and it isn't as strong as the previous two books. (the idea of a group of minor talents roleplaying as Dresden and co is hilarious though).

Also let to a moment of WTF, considering revelations from the later books. Accepting 'gifts' from Faire is widely described as a Bad Idea. Santa Claus exists, and is a faire. Oh dear.

Santa is a bit of an exception to the rule, since his whole thing revolves around gifts and that is governed by its own set of conditions.

Mega spoilers below, don't read if you haven't read Cold Days
    Though truthfully Santa is not a faerie at his core, since his primary mantle seems to be that of Odin.

• Options

shot Harry.

ioAv4fh.jpg

Bah, mistake! Hopefully you still enjoy the previous books as much, but probably didn't get near as much out of Changes as you would have.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Santa is a bit of an exception to the rule, since his whole thing revolves around gifts and that is governed by its own set of conditions.

Mega spoilers below, don't read if you haven't read Cold Days
    Though truthfully Santa is not a faerie at his core, since his primary mantle seems to be that of Odin.

Santa is a Jolly Olde Elf, and I will brook no dissension on this topic.

• Options

shot Harry.

ioAv4fh.jpg

Hahaha holy shit, you did it, you crazy son of a bitch

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, shifting gears from Changes to Storm front is going to be crazy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A quick note, since you're going to be seeing it very quickly, the first three books aren't as good or as well written as the later ones in the series.
    Stick with it though, the series is worth it.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    imo, the only proper way to read 'Changes' is to wait 6 months after you finish the it before reading the next book; the whole while reading every discussion you can on the topic of "who shot Harry".

Damn Butcher and his inability to publish the entire series at once.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm just glad that I got into the series late, so I didn't have to wait for the reveal.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I'm sure you can't find any discussion about who shot Harry without also getting spoilers for...everything.