As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[T.E.R.A] - So much plated thong your eyes will bleed

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To make it more "palatable" to western audiences is my guess, which sounds dumb. But really it wouldn't be the first time something like that was done to an asian dev'd game.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I gotta say, while I'm iffy on some parts of this game, I really like the creature design.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    To make it more "palatable" to western audiences is my guess, which sounds dumb. But really it wouldn't be the first time something like that was done to an asian dev'd game.

Which is also both intriguing, and terrifying.

Also, the main thing that has me excited for this game is the creature designs. Hilariously badass.

Transporter on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Also, the main thing that has me excited for this game is the creature designs. Hilariously badass.

Yea the creatures look amazing, while I still eye roll at the female designs but they arent much worse than I have seen elsewhere, I have noticed that it seems that the female panda-lolis are gone, at least I cant find them anywhere on the TERA site or in any of the concept art/videos etc.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »

Yea the creatures look amazing, while I still eye roll at the female designs but they arent much worse than I have seen elsewhere, I have noticed that it seems that the female panda-lolis are gone, at least I cant find them anywhere on the TERA site or in any of the concept art/videos etc.

That would actually make me interested in the game, if it can be confirmed as true. Many facets of the game looked pretty interesting (and I, like others here, think the creatures look pretty cool), but the loli stuff was just too over the top for me.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All i know is that since my friend showed me the trailers that where up prior to E3 i've known with 100% certainty that if i ever play this game i will play a panda bear

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All i know is that since my friend showed me the trailers that where up prior to E3 i've known with 100% certainty that if i ever play this game i will play a panda bear

Everybody is going to roll at least 1 panda bear simply because the idea of being an axe wielding panda bear is bad ass. I also think the idea of being a sword wielding little girl is hilarious, so I will be disappointed if they take out the "panda-lolis". I never did see them wearing thongs, so I never understood what the problem was.

edit: Though you know if they're still in, there will be several groups that roll a panda + several little girls with the panda named some variant of pedo-bear.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can definatley see how the WTF LOLIBEARS is a breaking point for people. Personally, I don't really care, but I can see why people would. And if removing them equals more subs, then fuck yeah go for it.

Transporter on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could see them in the character creation trailer they posted a couple of weeks back (and good god did the person fiddling with the face turn it into a thing of nightmares).
    Not really sure what the deal with Asian MMOs turning the female members of beast races into catgirls is (Perfect World did the same thing).

Glal on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    You could see them in the character creation trailer they posted a couple of weeks back (and good god did the person fiddling with the face turn it into a thing of nightmares).
    Not really sure what the deal with Asian MMOs turning the female members of beast races into catgirls is (Perfect World did the same thing).

Hmm doesnt seem to be there anymore.. unless I missed it.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It was posted on the official moon-language site and someone on the forums linked to it (and Massively linked to that).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SO, just watched the character creation videos and holy crap some of those races look incredibly badass.

I'll post the videos for the lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLgO-_kb7k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjnq6QJbyS0&feature=related

Also, in that second video near the end when they back out and switch to the female, the way the city in the background loads is freakin' sweet.

edit: also, lol at the kitty cat popori head.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All of the races in the 2nd video are awesome, until they get to the elves.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ooh, I really like the third species they show in the second video. It almost makes up for the terrifying furries.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the male devil elves look a little on the sweet side if ya know what I mean.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Those're some pretty bitchin' customization options right there.

Glal on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So like, is this playable or what?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

holy shit hamurabi, i thought you died or something.

there is a beta sign up in progress, go to the tera website and click on news, alternatively theres a link a few pages back

edit: link'd click here

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

holy shit hamurabi, i thought you died or something.

there is a beta sign up in progress, go to the tera website and click on news, alternatively theres a link a few pages back

edit: link'd click here

Nope -- I just started playing World of WoW.

Or, well, I guess they're the same.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    World of World of Warcraft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't sign up for this. It wont go past the demographic info page. hitting next just reloads the page with a different header

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's also a character editor trailer out, might be from a later version. Sliders!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCHTdT-Z4k

And some PvP stuff. A miniboss?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Game looks solid. Real solid.

I just want to know what the grind is like now

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eastern MMOs are always entertaining. I think my brain shut down for a couple seconds when I saw the characters ostensibly using gigantic grand lances as a foot soldier melee weapon.

I think the only reason that stuck for me is that with the other bizarre stuff, I've already seen it in other eastern-developed MMOs.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Game looks solid. Real solid.

I just want to know what the grind is like now

Definitely concerned about the grind as well, but since it's more "actiony" with it's combat it won't be as boring as the standard combat system of target enemy>activate ability until dead>repeat. At least you have to actually dodge stuff by moving and aim your spells or position yourself for optimum damage instead of just making sure you are in range. I think that alone will make any grind not that bad, or not bad at all.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I honestly think that with the action orientated combat, any actual grind will be fun and not real noticeable. I think that will impact the ranged players even more than the melee people since they will actually need to move around and target their abilities.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have pretty major concerns about how a positioning and dodging based combat system like this, developed for the super-fast Korean network infrastructure, is going to work in the US. Latency has been a big problem with both korean MMOs I've played before and it seems like a potential game-breaker here.

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The combat doesn't appear to be twitch-based enough for that to matter. Maybe in PVP, but with the PVE fight I saw the big attack was well telegraphed. We're not talking a fighting game here (and hell, Champions Online already does big attacks that will kill/stun/mez you unless you block them and I've not heard complaints about lag ruining it).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mandres wrote: »
    I have pretty major concerns about how a positioning and dodging based combat system like this, developed for the super-fast Korean network infrastructure, is going to work in the US. Latency has been a big problem with both korean MMOs I've played before and it seems like a potential game-breaker here.

I doubt it will be any worse than latency issues in targeting-style MMOs. I mean, all online games will cause you to get "killed by lag" at some point or another.

The only real disadvantage I see in PvP is for the ranged attacks. Simply strafing left and right will make it hard to hit your enemy.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darkfall implements ranged combat that way (though, is it confirmed that's how it works in TERA?). Archery shoots arrows that fly in an arc, and magic shoots either straight-flying projectile (slower than arrows, but with minor splash damage) or rays (which are instants, but you need to be completely accurate).
    For all the game's many faults, archery is actually really fun. You feel like Robin fucking Hood when the target is 50m away running to the side and you notch an arrow, let it fly and hit them in the head.

When it comes to strafing yourself you just notch an arrow and then let it fly when your reticule passes over the enemy. Good fucking luck hitting shit if both parties are moving though. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    From what I'm seeing in closed beta video's, Tera handles range by having a sort of "soft" lock-on. Target a guy, press a button, and the arrow will hit him, as long as you HAD him targeted and the reticule is fairly close to the target.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah, the Tabula Rasa system.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Interesting. I suppose that's a reasonable solution, as otherwise it would be ridiculously disadvantaged for ranged in pvp.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So almost exactly like champions online's playstyle yet in a fantasy setting?

seems cool...I wonder what the magic classes are like

I want to be an elf wizard dude

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whatever the caster class that has the teleport ability will be my first class. Something about the teleport animation/effect gets me giddy as a schoolgirl.

I think it's the sorcerer class?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-t-e-r-a/701207

New demo showing 5minutes of gameplay they showed off at E3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-t-e-r-a/701207

New demo showing 5minutes of gameplay they showed off at E3

Interesting stuff. The crabs on the beach reminded me of doing old MC mobs in vanilla WoW, only in this case with 35 less people.

Solid looking combat too.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man that combat looked downright awesome. I'm definitely going to give this game a look when it's actually released for public consumption.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does look awesome! I'm looking forward to this one. Love the art style and the combat looks interesting. The Koreans sure are making some technically-advanced MMOs these days. Aion and TERA make our stuff (T.O.R. for example) look like Everquest in comparison.

Mandres on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mandres wrote: »
    Does look awesome! I'm looking forward to this one. Love the art style and the combat looks interesting. The Koreans sure are making some technically-advanced MMOs these days. Aion and TERA make our stuff (T.O.R. for example) look like Everquest in comparison.

If only they could avoid the horrid exp grinds that Asian MMO gamers seem to thrive in, they would be making godly MMOs that would murder WoW several times over in the NA and EU markets. Aion is correcting this now, slowly, but that was the main reason I gave it up within a few months. Too much grind after 30 with next to no endgame incentive to justify the investment.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png