As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - REG CLOSED

• Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    macbitt wrote: »
    Can someone confirm if we did the x2 option we're good to get ourselves and a buddy into BYOC? Buddy also has 3 day pass and I know I (as the registerer) has to do the pick up on Thursday. Thanks.

The x2 option is there for people to buy multiple seats. In-case someone wants to purchase one for his wife/gf or some such without making a new account.

Thanks, although my friend may be offended if you consider him my GF ;)

macbitt on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can someone confirm if we did the x2 option we're good to get ourselves and a buddy into BYOC? Buddy also has 3 day pass and I know I (as the registerer) has to do the pick up on Thursday. Thanks.

The x2 option is there for people to buy multiple seats. In-case someone wants to purchase one for his wife/gf or some such without making a new account.

Thanks, although my friend may be offended if you consider him my GF ;)

lol
    Just saying thats why it was put in. Buying a pass for a BYOC slot for a friend is a valid reason too :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy crap, single seats are now sold out? I guess I will have to buy 2, I do have friends that want to go, just didn't expect the single seatings to sell out in one day...or was it like this all day?

Either way, stoked.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I thought the group thing was the special group seating. Move along...sigh

deveric on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BYOC ticket get. Thanks as always for doing this!

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Grabbed my x2. Best "event" at PAX imo. How gamers can go without gaming is beyond me. Looking forward to it!

Axon on
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you can get a group of 8+ people we do large group reserved seating separate of registration, which will go Live as soon as I get a final layout of the room.

Awesome. Looks like we've got 11 or so folks right now. :) Any chance you will also be tweeting when the group registration thingie goes live? I sometimes forget to check these forums for info.

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bought. Can’t wait!

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How does BYOC work if you have a press pass?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »

Your Press Pass acts as a 3day pass. So you still need to purchase a BYOC slot since you need a BYOC pass as well as a 3day pass (or equivalent in your case)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Your Press Pass acts as a 3day pass. So you still need to purchase a BYOC slot since you need a BYOC pass as well as a 3day pass (or equivalent in your case)

Do you need to register to use the free play systems? Just don't know how much time I'll be in the BYOC since this is my first time at this event and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of activity level.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    You have to wait in line for PC Freeplay. Also time on the freeplay machines is limited (I think) to about 45 minutes at a time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Do you need to register to use the free play systems? Just don't know how much time I'll be in the BYOC since this is my first time at this event and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of activity level.

I had a BYOC pass last year and I found I mostly used it for those in between times when there was down time... It was nice to have somewhere to put your stuff and to just relax...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you switch out a single BYOC pass for a X2 if you have already paid?

atray on
  • Options
    Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait so the "Group Ticket" is a single seat?

Wifout Teef on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah they have the wording weird. Its either 1 ticket or you can buy two.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Registered, now I just need to buy a cable lock for my laptop.

* Decius rings his company's Corporate Express rep

Inquiry: It says you need to have a 3-day pass already to register for BYOC, but no where in the registration did it ask me to confirm that I had one. I'm paid and all now. Will I need to verify this when I try to get into the BYOC for the first time?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Considering BYOC is within PAX you will already have been checked for a 3day pass to get into PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Signing up, it'll be the third year of the iMac!! =D =D =D

Curious, I noticed there is a 3A max for 2 ports... that is lower than almost all gaming machines:

Most machines utilize 300-500Watts (even though the PS says way more). That means with 110 plugs, each port is 2.72A-4.54A. So almost anyone bringing their own 'gaming workhorse will be over the limit.

Curious, was there power issues last year? I don't recall any (except when someone hit the breaker)

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    japerry wrote: »
    Signing up, it'll be the third year of the iMac!! =D =D =D

Curious, I noticed there is a 3A max for 2 ports... that is lower than almost all gaming machines:

Most machines utilize 300-500Watts (even though the PS says way more). That means with 110 plugs, each port is 2.72A-4.54A. So almost anyone bringing their own 'gaming workhorse will be over the limit.

Curious, was there power issues last year? I don't recall any (except when someone hit the breaker)

My understanding is that most computers don't hit their full PSU wattage rating except maybe at boot. So if you just make sure not everyone hits the power button at the same time, things should be ok.

They could also be taking into account that a lot of people bring laptops which have considerably lower wattage and will draw less amperage as a result.

But then again, I'm not an electrician. I just know enough to get me in trouble.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    LuckySeanLuckySean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just a question that I couldn't find elsewhere, I plan on attending PAX this year and just want to know if Canadians are eligible to be in the Omegathon if we pre-order tickets - thanks!

LuckySean on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes, Canadians are eligible to be Omeganauts.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lets all power on our computers at once to test this theory.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sure! I'll bring my 1kw power supply just for the test!

(That's a joke. I don't even know if those exist!)

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Sure! I'll bring my 1kw power supply just for the test!

(That's a joke. I don't even know if those exist!)

They do, infact they have 2kw power supplies now.

(Dont bring a machine with those to PAX, unless you want to buy multiple seats for the power)

BigRed on
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Your power restrictions make my GTX 480s cry.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    KtuluKtulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sweet I just registered.

My friend bought my 3 day pass, I hope that doesn't effect my registration for the LAN.

I knew there was a reason why I put up with my super cramped LAN box for so long... This is going to be wicked.

Ktulu on
  • Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As someone else noted, those coming with decently powered desktops will be averaging over the peak when playing games:
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/power-consumption-tests-for-gtx-280-sli/5870.html

But my point is that, were there power issues (blackouts, cost overruns, etc) last year? If not, it doesn't sound like a big issue. If so then it sounds like we need to meet the need. I don't recall seeing this requirement last year.

Luckily, (or unluckily) the BYOC area is usually only a quarter to a third full of active users, even with all the signups. Therefore a 3A average is probably right on target, even though there are some machines that take 10A.

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The power is (and always has been) setup so theres 6 machines to a 20amp circuit so thats 3.3amps each machine.

If you are bringing a monster of a computer that uses more than this then you should get more than 1 seat.

BigRed on
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there any reason that emails were not sent out this year? I've been mad crazy busy at work the past week and was really dismayed to find out today that the reg went live last Sunday. :( I did get my seat, but I would have appreciated the email heads-up like in the past.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    alegria wrote: »
    Is there any reason that emails were not sent out this year? I've been mad crazy busy at work the past week and was really dismayed to find out today that the reg went live last Sunday. :( I did get my seat, but I would have appreciated the email heads-up like in the past.

It hasn't even been live for a week :P The email will go out but we usually give the super dedicated types on the forums first shot.
    The email to those who were interested in it will likely go out next week.

BigRed on
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The power is (and always has been) setup so theres 6 machines to a 20amp circuit so thats 3.3amps each machine.

If you are bringing a monster of a computer that uses more than this then you should get more than 1 seat.

So if convince everyone else in my group to bring netbooks, I should be fine then. :P

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you bought a single seat can you go back in and buy another single seat for a GF?
    I noticed that the system lets you but it says it is for parents registering their kids.

atray on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cool, I'm in! It's too convenient for the various PAX-related activities to pass up on! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have recommendations for PC/LCD carry straps? I found the Sunbeam bag (which scared me with broken strap reviews) and the GearGrip site (which scared me with price).

Fellina on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GearGrip is by far the best.

Ive had my LCD carrier for 6 years now and my case strap (the cheapest geargrip one, just the strap) for 7. Both are still going strong.

BigRed on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I've got a GearGrip as well. It can get kinda heavy though..

GeeCee on
  • Options
    KyuuketsukiKyuuketsuki Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Registered for both me and my friend.

I didn't see an option to choose my seats for this year. Is that forthcoming, or is there something else planned?

Kyuuketsuki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Registered for both me and my friend.

I didn't see an option to choose my seats for this year. Is that forthcoming, or is there something else planned?

See OP:
    Because selecting seats was such a pain in the ass last year (the seating chart was useless cause people didnt sit where they were supposed to) we arent doing that this year. Instead we are doing what we did in 08 and at East, reserved group seating for large groups and the rest of the seats will be first come first served.

BigRed on
  • Options
    KyuuketsukiKyuuketsuki Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Well I didn't see any option for registering more than two BYOC seats at once, so how might I register the four of us coming together as one group? (we've all bought and paid for admission and BYOC)

Kyuuketsuki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Group seating is for large groups of 8 or more. if you are all in line together to checkin to BYOC before PAX opens on Friday, you will have no problem getting seats together.

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.