As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pointing the Hubble telescope at "nothing"

Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I came across this the other day, and it blew my mind.

http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

Basically, scientists got curious what would happen if they pointed the Hubble space telescope to a seemingly empty patch of the sky. Their first attempt didn't reveal too much detail, but after that they tried it for a longer time and with more advanced optical sensors... and... yeah, watch the video. :)

A hundred billion galaxies, each of which spreading apart every farther from each other, at different speeds (as measured by their color).

It is because of this immense sense of scale that I do not think we're alone in the universe.

Protein Shakes on

• Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hubble ultra deep field happened a few years ago. James Webb is scheduled to make it's own ultra deep field image as part of the initial mission tasks. Since it will be parked at the Earth-Sol L2 point, it should be even clearer.

220px-Hudf-illustration.jpg

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It is because of this immense sense of scale that I do not think we're alone in the universe.

I, like many of you, watched Bill Nye the Science Guy as a child. And he said something in one of his shows that I have never forgotten. He said that of course there is life in our universe. The size of it makes it a near certainty. But because of its immense size, the chances of us finding it, or it finding us, are astronimically small.

Just thought I'd share that.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got goosebumps and teared up watching that.

I have more hope than Bill Nye. A fool's hope, perhaps. But if humanity persists, we will make our home among the stars one day. And I suspect that there, we will find new life.

It's kind of cool to be at the beginning of that, I think. I was born less than half a century after we made our first steps out into our future home. I wonder if that's rather like being among the first animals crawling on land, or one of the first homo sapiens a generation after they discovered how to create fire.

Science++

Melkster on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Total Perspective Vortex action there.

Damn.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's all a ruse. All those are are little white dots on a black sheet of paper.
    deowolf wrote: »
    Total Perspective Vortex action there.

Damn.

:^: for the HHGTTG allusion.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The sum total of all human life will be as nothing compared to the universe.

We are like little neutrons.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

I was inclined to think this way, too, but then I realized:

It didn't take us very long to figure out how to fuck up the planet. Give us a few more millennia, and I bet we'll be fucking up the universe, too.

Taximes on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Taximes wrote: »

It didn't take us very long to figure out how to fuck up the planet. Give us a few more millennia, and I bet we'll be fucking up the universe, too.

The planet is much, much smaller. I mean, an oxygen molecule can fuck up a fuel, but it's not going to destroy the solar system anytime soon.

Also, theoretical bounds on speed limits might just ruin us.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to veer off-topic, but I had to ask: what's the music they played at the end of that video? I recognise it from a Rammstein song.

And the universe is very big and very amazing.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here's another awesome (and related) video: A rendering of the known universe, starting at high altitude over the Himalayas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=player_embedded

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »

The planet is much, much smaller. I mean, an oxygen molecule can fuck up a fuel, but it's not going to destroy the solar system anytime soon.

Also, theoretical bounds on speed limits might just ruin us.

Where's Samantha Carter when you need her?

Kronus on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it'll be like that asimov story where human kind will cover the entire universe in 150 billion years and literally use up every bit of energy

override367 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    One of my old favorites that I remember from school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTwvkGjsNEY

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »

I, like many of you, watched Bill Nye the Science Guy as a child. And he said something in one of his shows that I have never forgotten. He said that of course there is life in our universe. The size of it makes it a near certainty. But because of its immense size, the chances of us finding it, or it finding us, are astronimically small.

I've never been convinced by this argument. Let's say that the number of intelligent species in the universe is roughly [number of planets] * [probability of a planet developing life]. People say, of course the number must be larger than 1, because the number of planets is so huge! but we have absolutely no idea what the probability is, though it must be fairly small. For all we know it could be 10^-10000000, so we're lucky to have even one planet in the universe with life.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    170 billion galaxies in the observable universe. We do not know how small the chances are. If we make the assumption life is like us the requirements will still probably be met even if the chances are fairly low, especially considering that the causes of life don't appear to be that special.

Couscous on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

I've never been convinced by this argument. Let's say that the number of intelligent species in the universe is roughly [number of planets] * [probability of a planet developing life]. People say, of course the number must be larger than 1, because the number of planets is so huge! but we have absolutely no idea what the probability is, though it must be fairly small. For all we know it could be 10^-10000000, so we're lucky to have even one planet in the universe with life.
    Check out the Drake Equation. Note, though, that it applies only to our galaxy. If you multiply the result by the number of galaxies in the universe, you'd have to have picked incredibly pessimistic values to get anything less than 1.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I have a problem with your numbers. Namely: life, appears to be pretty fucking indestructible. Some guys cold germs flu to the moon, sat their for a few years, and then were brought back on one of the Apollo missions and came back to life happily once they were returned to an environment they can live in.

Their are bacteria which beat out nuclear radiation in fuel rod settling pools by piling CG-base pairs into the genetic structure so they can photosynthesize in them, and extremophiles living on volcanic vents.

Now, none of this is, obviously, intelligent or even high-level fauna and flora. But I'd feel pretty confident saying there's almost certainly life everywhere - something I'll feel a lot more confident about if we find any elsewhere in the sol system (I am extremely curious about what might be able to form in an energetic environment like Jupiters atmosphere).

And if you can get bacteria - the very basic precursors of evolution, then I'd say it drives the potential for intelligent extraterrestial life way up.

Things should get pretty interesting in the next decade when the Earth-sized planet hunter telescopes start operating and scanning the stars in our local neighborhood. If it turns out habitable zone planets are reasonably common and the spectroscopic data suggests the right elemental composition, then that would be a hell of a thing.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that there are some very good reasons to think a project like SETI may never find anything. The radio age of human communication has only existed for about 100 years. It's entirely possible that radio technology gets superceded before anyone would bother to build a transmitter powerful enough to announce their presence on the interstellar stage (which would require post-scarcity type technology to do, essentially). If in the next 20-40 years we were to figure out how to preserve entanglement and use it for information transfer, then even if we did build an interstellar civilization we would produce no radio emissions detectable over the background because everything would be the definition of point-to-point. The radio age would've lasted only ~150 years then.

I rather enjoy the notion that maybe someday we'll build FTL radios and the second we switch them on we'll hear all the interstellar civilization's traffic.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I agree with Pi-r8. Life may be extraordinarily adaptable, but we do not know the odds on the first crucial transition from non-life to life. It is quite possibly so rare that only happened once out of two hundred billion trillion or more opportunities. It also may be nearly guaranteed given the right circumstance, in which case the universe might be filled with life.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Not to veer off-topic, but I had to ask: what's the music they played at the end of that video? I recognise it from a Rammstein song.

And the universe is very big and very amazing.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but the song you're thinking of is SonneIt's at the end.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Nova episode about repairing the Hubble was awesome.

Also cool video!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I agree with Pi-r8. Life may be extraordinarily adaptable, but we do not know the odds on the first crucial transition from non-life to life. It is quite possibly so rare that only happened once out of two hundred billion trillion or more opportunities. It also may be nearly guaranteed given the right circumstance, in which case the universe might be filled with life.

Nothing we know about the origins of life makes it seem like the circumstances are that exceptional.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it'll be like that asimov story where human kind will cover the entire universe in 150 billion years and literally use up every bit of energy

I find this unlikely, but mostly because we'd need FTL travel to get to everywhere, even if we have infinite time. Space expanding faster than light will fuck with you.
    I rather enjoy the notion that maybe someday we'll build FTL radios and the second we switch them on we'll hear all the interstellar civilization's traffic.

This would be awesome, even if breaks causality.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Nothing we know about the origins of life makes it seem like the circumstances are that exceptional.
    We know very nearly nothing about those origins, though.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

We know enough, and we know that even if it happens once every two hundred billion trillion planets...there's still going to be billions of planets with life out there. Our galaxy alone has hundreds of billions of stars. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies.

Given enough chances, even the tiniest probabilities approach 1.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, if you look at it mathematically, if the Universe is truly infinite and roughly homogeneous, then the fact that at least one intelligent civilization has risen means that there must be infinitely many civilizations. Math is crazy like that :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

We know enough, and we know that even if it happens once every two hundred billion trillion planets...there's still going to be billions of planets with life out there. Our galaxy alone has hundreds of billions of stars. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies.
    First, your math is wrong. Two hundred billion trillion planets is approximately the number you'd expect to find if each other star system in the universe is like ours (five planets per star (low by comparison to our own), two hundred billion stars per galaxy (a high estimate; ours is a large galaxy), and two hundred billion galaxies total). If the odds were one in two hundred billion trillion, you'd expect to find on average one world with life in it in a universe like ours. Of course, even these numbers are only the roughest of estimates. We don't know how many eligible planets/moons are in the average system, or even how many galaxies there are or their average number of stars.
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    No, they don't, and...
    a5ehren wrote:
    Well, if you look at it mathematically, if the Universe is truly infinite and roughly homogeneous, then the fact that at least one intelligent civilization has risen means that there must be infinitely many civilizations.
    ...no, it doesn't. Have neither of you studied calculus? An infinite number of infinitely small things can yield a finite value. We're back to exactly where we were before—how does life arise, and what are the odds of that happening? We just don't know. We don't even know that "life" as we understand it is the only type we should be looking for.

There's not much you can infer from a sample size of one.

[Edit: Also, the universe is not generally believed to be infinite or to contain an infinite number of stars.]

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man, I miss when there were good space documentary shows.

There was a stretch of channels back when I had satellite TV where at any given time there was at least one on.

Now half of those are showing home improvement crap, and I'd be lucky to find a rerun of The Universe.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I have a problem with your numbers. Namely: life, appears to be pretty fucking indestructible. Some guys cold germs flu to the moon, sat their for a few years, and then were brought back on one of the Apollo missions and came back to life happily once they were returned to an environment they can live in.

Their are bacteria which beat out nuclear radiation in fuel rod settling pools by piling CG-base pairs into the genetic structure so they can photosynthesize in them, and extremophiles living on volcanic vents.

Now, none of this is, obviously, intelligent or even high-level fauna and flora. But I'd feel pretty confident saying there's almost certainly life everywhere - something I'll feel a lot more confident about if we find any elsewhere in the sol system (I am extremely curious about what might be able to form in an energetic environment like Jupiters atmosphere).

And if you can get bacteria - the very basic precursors of evolution, then I'd say it drives the potential for intelligent extraterrestial life way up.

Things should get pretty interesting in the next decade when the Earth-sized planet hunter telescopes start operating and scanning the stars in our local neighborhood. If it turns out habitable zone planets are reasonably common and the spectroscopic data suggests the right elemental composition, then that would be a hell of a thing.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that there are some very good reasons to think a project like SETI may never find anything. The radio age of human communication has only existed for about 100 years. It's entirely possible that radio technology gets superceded before anyone would bother to build a transmitter powerful enough to announce their presence on the interstellar stage (which would require post-scarcity type technology to do, essentially). If in the next 20-40 years we were to figure out how to preserve entanglement and use it for information transfer, then even if we did build an interstellar civilization we would produce no radio emissions detectable over the background because everything would be the definition of point-to-point. The radio age would've lasted only ~150 years then.

if we did actually find some sort of life on another planet- even just microbes- then it would certainly make the argument a lot stronger. Right now our sample size is 1, so we're completely guessing at probabilities. It could be 1/100 or 1/1000000000000000000000. We really have no lower bound right now. But if we did find anything on another planet, then I'd agree it's a lot more likely that the probability of life developing is reasonably high. the fact that life can apaparently survive outside the earth does help, but surviving is not the same as developing.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Then again, despite not knowing the exact details around the origins of life, we also know many simple chemical processes that produce the vital building blocks of life (amino acid chains, nucleotides) are extremely common. Even if the origin of life boils down to "everything just happened to run into each other at just the right time," considering the rate of chemical reactions and the sheer volume of material available on planets with appropriate conditions for life-forming reactions (oceans) along with a few billion years to work with, I'm willing to side with the opinion that life is probably common. Whether that life ever gets beyond bacteria is another question entirely.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    No, they don't, and...
    a5ehren wrote:
    Well, if you look at it mathematically, if the Universe is truly infinite and roughly homogeneous, then the fact that at least one intelligent civilization has risen means that there must be infinitely many civilizations.
    ...no, it doesn't. Have neither of you studied calculus? An infinite number of infinitely small things can yield a finite value. We're back to exactly where we were before—how does life arise, and what are the odds of that happening? We just don't know. We don't even know that "life" as we understand it is the only type we should be looking for.

There's not much you can infer from a sample size of one.

[Edit: Also, the universe is not generally believed to be infinite or to contain an infinite number of stars.]

Actually, they do, given the function is linear, and doesn't have a negative slope. Forgive my non-mathy word usage and poor ability to explain what I mean, it's been a while.

Functions can sum to a finite number as the limit approaches infinity, but the function here is of the form f(x)=kx, where k is the extremely low "chance of life on any given planet" constant, and x is the number of planets. Because k is a constant, as x approaches infinity, f(x) approaches infinity too. And the sample size of one indicates that k is nonzero.

That last point about the finite universe invalidates the theory on the basis of real limitations, though.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's a silly way of looking at things, but yeah obviously for an infinite series to converge the terms have to be decreasing as you go on.

we haven't and aren't going to fuck up earth

earth will be here long after we're gone unless we continue to be incredibly lucky

all we can do is maybe fuck up earth enough to make it significantly more difficult for us to live as we're currently accustomed to

Hubble coming back down is going to be a weird day for me, it's been up there pretty much exactly a year longer than I've been alive and it's done quite a bit to push me towards studying physics. There was a plan to bring it back down with the shuttle and put it in a museum (where it belongs get it movie reference ha ha) but that got decided against for a number of reasons so it's probably just going to plop unceremoniously into the ocean somewhere.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

we haven't and aren't going to fuck up earth

earth will be here long after we're gone unless we continue to be incredibly lucky

all we can do is maybe fuck up earth enough to make it significantly more difficult for us to live as we're currently accustomed to

Hubble coming back down is going to be a weird day for me, it's been up there pretty much exactly a year longer than I've been alive and it's done quite a bit to push me towards studying physics. There was a plan to bring it back down with the shuttle and put it in a museum (where it belongs get it movie reference ha ha) but that got decided against for a number of reasons so it's probably just going to plop unceremoniously into the ocean somewhere.

It's not gonna do that, is it?

I mean, by the time it gets back there won't be enough left to make a plop.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was trying to let myself down gently :(

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    I was trying to let myself down gently :(

Goodness knows the Hubble won't have that luxury.

Hah

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    RESPECT MY ILLOGICAL FEELINGS FOR A GLORIFIED CAMERA GODDAMMIT

L|ama on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Leave it to a giant camera in the sky spying on our next door neighbors in the universe to bring people together.

For serious though, I absolutely love the universe and all the images of it that come from the Hubble Deep Field, it's this kind of stuff that lights my imagination and makes my heart warm up with hope for the future of humanity, however naive it is in reality's constant flux of distractions keeping us from the stars.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Here's another awesome (and related) video: A rendering of the known universe, starting at high altitude over the Himalayas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=player_embedded

George Smoot has an interesting talk using the same universe scan. If you want to feel tiny, lose a sense of scale, I recommend watching it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c64Aia4XE1Y

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man, I miss when there were good space documentary shows.

There was a stretch of channels back when I had satellite TV where at any given time there was at least one on.

Now half of those are showing home improvement crap, and I'd be lucky to find a rerun of The Universe.

On Sundays, Discovery is showing How The Universe Works.. it's basically Discovery's version of The Universe, and is hosted by Mike Rowe. Pretty good so far. It's on before the Stephen Hawking (crazy) power hour.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some guys cold germs flu to the moon
    groan

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm surprised nobody's posted the Pale Blue Dot yet. It's a photograph of Earth (the tiny speck inside the brown shaft of light) as taken by Voyager 1 just after leaving the solar system.

pale_blue_dot.jpg

I would comment on the humbling beauty of this photo, but Carl Sagan put it much better than I ever could:
    From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Lieberkuhn on