As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cancer - Updated - More confusion

LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I certainly do not know what I'm doing at this point. Backstory - Myself and Sarah have become close friends over the past year after meeting at my previous job which I quit before going to school (So, she works there and I don't). She's always appreciated my honesty and rather jerkish/cynical/mean attitude I tend to have. I'm not a douche or jackass, I just tend to not pretend to be nice, if that makes sense. She's okay with it because I'm not deliberately mean or insulting. So, unfortunately, Sarah's (we'll call her) mother has breast cancer, which I’d known about for a while, and the Doctors never gave her a good prognosis on it. About a month back they told her that the cancer had actually regressed, which looked like good news, and I was happy when she told me that. Unfortunately, things have only gotten worse. Sarah went to Vegas with her mother when she noticed that her mom was getting worse. They took her to the doctor this past week to run some tests and immediately asked her mother to come back the next morning (Friday morning). I asked to be updated because I wanted to know what happened and I was worried. So Friday she just told me that she needed to talk to me, which I gathered wasn’t good news. I meet her for coffee and she told me the bad news. The cancer had spread to her brain and she only has a couple months to live. I didn’t know what to do and I’ve never dealt with anything like this before. She started crying right there so we went to her car. I don’t know how to best handle this. I mean, I hung out with her the entire day and tried to be there for her/make her happy. I told her not to go to work because it’d just make things worse with people asking about it constantly. We walked downtown/had lunch, I even went to her doctors appointment (with her cardiologist). I figured she didn’t want to just sit by herself and cry or think about it at the moment and so I tried my best to be there and make her happy. I mean, is there a better way to handle the situation? She said that she really appreciated what I did and it really helped, but I don’t know what to do from here on out. I don’t want to do anything wrong or make things worse. I've stopped being mean around her and become more nice because I figure there's a time to act like I do and there's a time for, well, what I'm doing now. I just have NEVER dealt with eminent death, cancer, or anything like that. I don't want to do the wrong thing here (I'm actually rather scared/worry about that prospect) but don't want to become an annoyance either.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions of what to do/not do. Realize, we're not dating/in a relationship and I've never even meet her family. She came to me first and I was surprised/happy that she did, but now I don't know what to do at this point.

Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
kaustikos.png
LeCaustic on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Listen. Understand.

Theres really not much else you can do. Just be there for her when she wants you to be.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My wife battled breast cancer last year (March 2009 - November 2009). Fortunately, we caught it in Stage II, so it was still treatable and her prognosis for a full recovery was fairly high.

However, the day she was diagnosed was the worst day of my life. Hell, last year was the worst year of my life. Cancer makes you feel like you have no control over your life... and that's just how bystanders to the actual patient feel. My wife is cancer free now. She's terrified of having to battle cancer again. It's something that completely changes your life for the rest of your life.

So what does this mean to you?

Your friend needs you to be there. Just listen. Empathize. Let her cry. Let her talk. Nothing you can say will make it better and honestly, anything you say will sound contrite. You can't relate unless you've had cancer or have/had a family member go through it, so don't offer up examples from your life experiences.

Don't push her to talk about it; just be there when she needs you.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just be her friend, let her talkwhen she needs to, cry when she needs to. My dad died last year after a 3 year battle with colon cancer, I still miss him dreadfully. We talked about what he wanted - for his funeral, his dying, and we made sure he got what he wanted - he died at home with me and mum with him when he died. It's horrid when someone you love has cancer, it's even worse when you know they are dying. BUT, it does give you the chance to do and say all the things you want to - we took my dad to the places he wanted to go, we said all the things we wanted to say. All that helps me.
    Just be there for her, that's all you can do.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My mother fought breast cancer for about 8 years with 3 relapses before it spread through her body and she succumbed to it last June. Just be there for your friend, let her cry on your shoulder, let her ramble on and on about times she's had with her mother, her fears, and her emotions.

If she lives at home, bring dinner for her and her family as the last thing anybody wants to do is cook and clean when they could be spending time with their loved ones. That was very helpful for my father and me. Also you may want to ask her if she has any errands you can take care of (drop off mail or something like that). She's going to want to spend as much time with her mom as she can.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There are lots of support groups out there for cancer and friends of people with cancer

Brain cancer is particularly bad, since it will literally eat your brain function alive around you, and it's almost always terminal

Brace yourself, basically

Robman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My wife battled breast cancer last year (March 2009 - November 2009). Fortunately, we caught it in Stage II, so it was still treatable and her prognosis for a full recovery was fairly high.

However, the day she was diagnosed was the worst day of my life. Hell, last year was the worst year of my life. Cancer makes you feel like you have no control over your life... and that's just how bystanders to the actual patient feel. My wife is cancer free now. She's terrified of having to battle cancer again. It's something that completely changes your life for the rest of your life.

So what does this mean to you?

Your friend needs you to be there. Just listen. Empathize. Let her cry. Let her talk. Nothing you can say will make it better and honestly, anything you say will sound contrite. You can't relate unless you've had cancer or have/had a family member go through it, so don't offer up examples from your life experiences.

Don't push her to talk about it; just be there when she needs you.

That's what I figured. I didn't bring up anything because I knew it was stupid. I've just been listening and letting her talk when she wants. I definitely don't bring it up other than asking how she's doing (thinly veiled attempt at seeing how she is doing but could also be interpreted as a casual question). She noticed that I was acting weird while talking/hanging out and I told her I was scared to say the wrong things and didn't know what to do. All I could think of was "just be nice and shut up". I know it's going to be worse, and that's what I'm trying to brace myself for. I told her that if she wants to talk anytime, don't hesitate.

Thanks for the help, so far. I know it's still early, which is why I'm asking now.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone whose mother had lung cancer that metastasized to the brain I have to agree with the advice given so far. We were unbelievably lucky, as the mother that was given an estimate in terms of months is still alive years later, but that was the hardest period of my life. Like people are saying, just listen. Robman touched on it, but one of nasty parts of brain cancer is that it damages how the brain works. My mother still has issues with balance/lightheadedness, and has trouble concentrating and remembering things at times.

Hopefully your friend deals with this better than I did. I was a useless teenager and got frustrated with my mother because I didn't understand how scared she was, and thought she was being irrational. It was years after the worst was over when we were talking to a nursing student about it that I gained that bit of empathy.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone who went through a long ass time (10 plus years) of a parent having cancer on and off, I'd echo what other people are saying. Just be there, be supportive, and just ask your friend what she needs to deal with her mom's illness.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just always be willing to drop whatever you're doing to be there for her, and when you are with her, talk about it with her if she wants to, be a shoulder to cry on, and that's all you really can do.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Just always be willing to drop whatever you're doing to be there for her, and when you are with her, talk about it with her if she wants to, be a shoulder to cry on, and that's all you really can do.

That's pretty much what I've done. I have finals week and I seriously couldn't care about them in regards to her situation. I told her that. She was in the same masters program I'm in now so she says she feels bad, but jokingly told her that I need a 52 in one final to get an A and the other class I don't care about anymore because I'm already doing well in the other 4. I just don't want her to feel like she's bothering me if she does need me. Which is definitely not the case, but I don't want to act like I'm forcing her to, either.

I appreciate the advice and I'm glad to know I didn't do anything wrong when she told me.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Listen. Understand.

Theres really not much else you can do. Just be there for her when she wants you to be.

Pretty much this. There's nothing you can say that will make the situation better for her. Just be there as her friend, and listen to her thoughts and concerns when she feels the need to unload.

Everybody goes through these things differently, and you're best served letting her determine how much she wants to talk about it. I went through my own cancer scare recently (turned out it wasn't), and the absolute last thing I wanted to do was talk about it before I even knew what it was, but my mother was determined to cry about it and tell me how everything was going to be okay, and how she wouldn't let anything happen to me. I understand why she felt this way, since I'm her only child and she was terrified, but behaving like this only served to piss me off and make me withdraw and withhold information from her, because talking with her became bouts of reassuring her, even though I was the one with something in my head.

Sorry to kind of unload there, but it serves a good point on what not to do. She and her mom are the ones that need support right now. Just be there for them, and let them determine what they need out of their support group.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My mom has ovarian cancer that's spread up to her abdomen. And honestly, the only way I've managed to keep living without hiding in my bed all day is my friends.

Just be there for them, emotionally, physically, whatever. If she need 15 mins to just forget about life, and go do something stupid like shoot fireworks off in the middle of the day. Or they just want someone to watch a movie with. Just be there for her. Make sure she knows you just want to be by her side, and you'll always be there.

And don't talk about it unless they bring it up. Trust me, nothing worse than trying to forget bad parts of your life for 10 minuites to have someone say "So about your mom...."

Just... make her know you'll continue to be there, and be strong for her.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, this is a good point. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone with a family member with a major illness is provide normalcy.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Orestes wrote: »
    My mom has ovarian cancer that's spread up to her abdomen. And honestly, the only way I've managed to keep living without hiding in my bed all day is my friends.

Just be there for them, emotionally, physically, whatever. If she need 15 mins to just forget about life, and go do something stupid like shoot fireworks off in the middle of the day. Or they just want someone to watch a movie with. Just be there for her. Make sure she knows you just want to be by her side, and you'll always be there.

And don't talk about it unless they bring it up. Trust me, nothing worse than trying to forget bad parts of your life for 10 minuites to have someone say "So about your mom...."

Just... make her know you'll continue to be there, and be strong for her.
    Yeah, I am DEFINITELY doing that. I seriously didn't want to even bring it up when we meet for coffee. I didn't until she did and started crying. I've basically played it normal (other than being nicer) and listened.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seems like you're doing the right things already.

When I was still with my ex a few years ago she lost her mom to brain cancer. You basically just need to be there for them.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's already started to become worse, in a way. She's getting "better" because of the new treatment. Every update is another twist. How do you respond to that? She was upset because she didn't know what to make of the "improvement". I mostly listen and have my car keys by my side if she needs me to come over. I've actually made sure to have my phone by me (which is something I rarely do).

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You two anywhere near DC? The Komen walk is coming up next month.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    It's already started to become worse, in a way. She's getting "better" because of the new treatment. Every update is another twist. How do you respond to that? She was upset because she didn't know what to make of the "improvement". I mostly listen and have my car keys by my side if she needs me to come over. I've actually made sure to have my phone by me (which is something I rarely do).

Oh man, I remember this. Every new chemo or radiation option or blood test brings on all sorts of emotions. Just listen and be there, as before. Cautiously optimistic is pretty much the way to go for these sort of developments like trying new treatment, or good test results.

Corvus on
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Listen. Understand.

It's been seconded and thirded, but this is all you can do.

The bringing food suggestion is a good one. Just make sure that they have somethings to eat or some good frozen/reheatable options.

It's kind of weird, but whenever I get bad news about family/friends, it's cooking time.

Just be there for a friend of yours, and help out in ways you can. I guarantee she will remember it later, and appreciate it, when things aren't so crazy for her.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Apparently things have gotten even more confusing. The new MRI showed that the initial 5 lesions have gone down to 1. I'm fairly familiar with cancer, but I'm not too familiar with relapse/remission of brain cancer. Book stores haven't helped my situation, really, because they talk about people directly affected by people who are dealing with it. I can tell it's affecting her - she's definitely depressed. She sleeps a lot more (I don't want to say it's because of the depression, but it's not like her) and she told me she cries everyday. The doctor still don't think it'll look good and have the same prognosis. I basically try saying things but it's a broken record. Is it wrong to want to do anything for her? I know there's such a thing as being too...there.

Also, for people who have dealt with this, how does it feel when someone asks you about it?

How the hell do I deal with an oncologist who doesn't seem to be doing the right thing? They tried giving her an MRI without taking into account/looking into kidney issues and the contrast dye didn't even filter through. One oncologist says one thing, the other something entirely. They didn't seem to think late stage (IV) cancer can metastasize to the brain... or ever said anything about that. It's infuriating. Then they gave her a terrible prognosis after the 5 to 1 remission.

update isn't much, but it's unfuriating for me. I'm like a scientific robot and this is such a struggle. I'll admit that compassion/sympathy/whatever is what I suck at, but I care too much about her to fuck this up.

Things I've done -
    cooked her dozens of meals
    meet her for whatever in the middle of work (coffee/etc) (Don't worry about this, I'm not saying fuck work completely)
    went on vacation at the last minute

Any other suggestions for what I can do to help? I've had chances to meet her mom/family, but her dad isn't a fan of me (Despite NOT meeting me, but because of my religious beliefs).

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Things I've done -
    cooked her dozens of meals
    meet her for whatever in the middle of work (coffee/etc) (Don't worry about this, I'm not saying fuck work completely)
    went on vacation at the last minute

Any other suggestions for what I can do to help? I've had chances to meet her mom/family, but her dad isn't a fan of me (Despite NOT meeting me, but because of my religious beliefs).

Her father might need reassurance that you aren't trying to take advantage of his daughter when she's emotionally vulnerable... and he's likely just as stressed about his wife's illness as his daughter is.

It's possible that it might help to explain that you are just trying to be a good friend, and that you really have no other designs on his daughter. ...Or it might make it worse, depending on his personality.

Please be on the lookout for your emotional state as well... it won't do anybody any good if you start resenting the help that you are giving to your friend or her family. If it's getting to be too much for you, you need to back off a bit.

As far as the oncologist is concerned... I'm sorry to say, you can't do anything. You aren't family, and the oncologist has no right to speak to you about the mother's medical issues. The best you can do is stay calm.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok, re-reading this again, its your friend's mother who is sick, correct, not your friend right?

I think you may be getting a little too involved. And you may need to come to terms with the fact that this is not a problem you can solve. As for your friend being depressed, well, thats pretty normal. Having a parent with cancer is akin to being fed through an emotional meat grinder.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Ok, re-reading this again, its your friend's mother who is sick, correct, not your friend right?

I think you may be getting a little too involved. And you may need to come to terms with the fact that this is not a problem you can solve. As for your friend being depressed, well, thats pretty normal. Having a parent with cancer is akin to being fed through an emotional meat grinder.

Correct, it's her mother that's sick. I don't want to cross into that too involved boundary and that's why I'm coming here to ask.

As for the other post - The father hasn't liked any guy being with any of his daughters. He refused to come to a cookout yesterday that my friends sister + husband had because he doesn't like the husband at all. That's some comfort because it makes me realize that he just has issues with guys in general (husband is definitel not a bad guy, he's helped me move into my new apartment/sold me his old furniture for a ridiculous bargain/etc.

I absolutely do not resent the help I give. I enjoy it tremendously as I'm having fun, too. And, as a note, I'm not doing these things soley with her, as other friends are coming along/helping, too.

Thanks for the responses so far.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can be a pro friend and help her through her grief, as a true friend does. Don't dissapear when shit gets tough.

hadoken on