As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade Racing - GRID/DIRT 2 PC

InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology

Hello driver! So I see you want to be a hot shot on the track out there eh? Do this first, see the link up there? Take the jump. There you'll meet others like you, wanting to get their hands on the title of the best driver ever.
3502_will-ferrell-talladega-nights.jpg
BEST DRIVER EVER

Well, at least on the PC.

Oh no, this isn't the place for the likes of Forza or Gran Turismo. This is a place where all we have are the clumsy instruments of our keyboards and our finely tuned sense of speed. Of course, this does not apply to the ones that have game pads or wheels, but you get the idea, this is place for drivers that are bound to their computers.

There has been a surge of players indulging themselves on great games like GRID and DiRT 2 thanks to an excellent Steam sale in the past, and I thought it would be a good idea to have a place where we can organize our races. But before that, for the ones who didn't take the leap and want to know more about the two games that we currently play frequently:

GAMES

GRID
Crumpled_Graph_paper_texture_by_madragonn.jpg

Because everything about this game from Wikipedia sucks, bear with me on my short write up. GRID is a game that utilizes a modified version of Codemaster's Neon engine which enables persistent damage on cars that affects performance. There aren't hundreds of cars to choose from, but what's there are awesome.

From street racing in the US to downhill drifting events in Japan, GRID caters to the primal need for speed and destruction alongside a wide variety of events that is great for Multiplayer. Career mode is excellent, because you have an arguably sexy voice that you can make to call you Dude.

But also because it's a great racing game. Yes, that too. And the sexy voice.

DiRT 2
dirt%20cheap.jpg

Because Wiki's description does not suck:
Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (known as Dirt 2 outside Europe and stylised, DiRT)[5] is a racing game released in September 2009, and is the sequel to Colin McRae: Dirt. This is the first game in the McRae series since McRae's death in 2007. It was announced on 19 November 2008 and features Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, and Dave Mirra. The game includes many new race-events, including stadium events. Along with the player, an RV travels from one event to another, and serves as 'headquarters' for the player. It features a roster of contemporary off-road events, taking players to diverse and challenging real-world environments. The game takes place across four continents: Asia, Europe, Africa and North America. The game includes five different event types: Rally, Rallycross, 'Trailblazer,' 'Land Rush' and 'Raid.' The World Tour mode sees players competing in multi-car and solo races at new locations, and also includes a new multiplayer mode.

YOUR TOOL OF POWER

THE KEYBOARD
dscn0626fj9.jpg

It's a horrible tool for driving on the PC, but it's serviceable and it works. Summed up nicely by one of our guys:
Man, you guys weren't wrong about GRID. Fantastic game, but playing it with a keyboard is like trying to do open heart surgery with a sledgehammer.

THE GAMEPAD
PS2-0792-REVOLUTION-CUSTOMIZABLE-GAMEPAD-1.jpg

Significantly better than the keyboard, gives you much better control. The above picture is awesome, but do yourself a favor and get the Xbox 360 controller for the PC.

THE WHEEL
racingsetup.jpg

Because this is how awesome people roll. Also makes it incredibly hard to control for some. Look at Logitech for awesome racing wheels. If you have the money, find yourself a G25 or G27, they are excellent. If you're on a budget then you shouldn't be reading this.

I'm kidding. Go to Logitech's site and you may find a wheel that suits your wallet. Else, grab a controller or at the very least a sledgehammer.

LET'S GO
So there we go! Everything you need to play. And for good taste, here's the only picture of a car in this thread!
awesome+car+2.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Inzigna on

• Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still play GRID almost every day. Of course the only true way to play GRID is with all the assists off and a manual transmission.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A bit of a tangent - Codemasters is also working on F1 2010, which will be using the next iteration of the engine used for GRID & DiRT2.

It looks hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYLCfrolZc

Sadly I don't have GRID any longer as I passed my copy on to my brother. :P I'm fully into endurance racing with rFactor right now, otherwise I'd have picked it up via Steam (and I'll probably kick myself at some point down the road for not doing so)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FUEL?

Hawk on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't played much Dirt 2 yet, but Steam tells me I've put about 7 hours into GRID since the sale. I'm real bad at GRID, as it turns out. The Japanese races violate me pretty savagely.

Still fun, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I really want to get into more racing sims on the PC, but I feel like my 360 controller wouldn't do them justice.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    I really want to get into more racing sims on the PC, but I feel like my 360 controller wouldn't do them justice.

You'd be surprised.

The 360 controller does really well, I've known some guys that do just as well with analog control gamepads as the guys with wheels + pedals.

Heck, back when I ran Race Driver 2 & 3 online and was part of a hotlapping competition, we had guys that ran top times using just the keyboard.

Games like Grid & Dirt perform really well; more hardcore simulations (rFactor, GTR2, iRacing) might be a different story, though rFactor and GTR2 both have driving aids that can assist just about anyone with any control scheme.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had bomb yesterday in Dirt 2 with a Peewi & SteveBartz. Anyone up for some today?

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have no experience with using wheels for racing games, but in Giant Bomb's quick look for Dirt 2 they say that using a wheel might be harder than using a controller for the Codemasters games.

As much as I like Grid, the Le Mans can go fuck itself.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm downloading both games as we speak, but they wont be on me hard drive til tomorrow most likely. I'll be up for some races though.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Seriously. Maybe I'm just a terrible driver, but in the 20 Le Mans races I've done, I always get smoked on the Porsche Curves. I'll have at least a 4-5 second lead over the car behind me, but as soon as I hit those curves 2 and sometimes 3 cars will either pass me, or rear-end me.

Which brings me to my second gripe in an otherwise awesome racing game. The bumper-car AI. There have been times when even my teammate has spun me out into the wall. Thank god for the flashback system however.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel like a fucking awesome driver when I'm in one of the touring cars, yet as soon as I start driving around any of the LMP class cars they seem to handle like a truck.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    FUEL?
    How does the MP in that one work? Do people just fuck around in the open world and join events? Cos that sounds awesome.

We should host a league of some sorts. Across a multitude of racing games agreed on, before letting the fuckfest begin.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have no experience with using wheels for racing games, but in Giant Bomb's quick look for Dirt 2 they say that using a wheel might be harder than using a controller for the Codemasters games.

I tried the Dirt 2 and Grid demos with my Driving Force GT, and it was nearly impossible, but not because the games themselves were too arcadey or whatever. There's just this huge delay in the force feedback. It makes it really hard to play, and it's no fun anyway when what you're feeling doesn't match up with what's happening on screen.

It doesn't happen with any other games.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I tried the Dirt 2 and Grid demos with my Driving Force GT, and it was nearly impossible, but not because the games themselves were too arcadey or whatever. There's just this huge delay in the force feedback. It makes it really hard to play, and it's no fun anyway when what you're feeling doesn't match up with what's happening on screen.

I'm currently playing GRID on my Logitech G25 and there hasn't been lag input. It works really well actually, thanks to the force feedback I can tell what the surface is like and adjust accordingly. It does take a little tweaking to have it work beautifully though, with sensitivity and the wheel deadzone some of the factors that you need to adjust.

It is however significantly more difficult to play with the wheel than on the gamepad, since it'll conceivably take more time to react (the turning with your hands and the need to move your feet quickly) compared to the controller where all you need to do is tap a few buttons.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

How is the performance on your machine?

Dirt 1 had a problem where steering input was delayed if your performance wasn't up to speed - I had framerate issues and had to turn the graphics way down to get a good rate, and even then it wasn't the best. But it cleared up the controller lag.

They did some major optimization to the engine by the time GRID rolled around, but I would imagine there might be similar issues. It's not exactly what you're describing but it could be related.

You might find more info here: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/grid-tech-support-1020

citizen059 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone have terrible stuttering problems with GRID and DIRT2. I got both earlier in the year and they're unplayable due to this. It persists regardless of how low I turn the graphics setting down. I only have this problem with these two games. Everything else runs fine (ex: Fuel, NFS:Shift, Crysis).

I had totally given up on the games, but since this thread popped up I guess I'll try one more time if anyone has any idea what I should do?

I don't really care so much about GRID but I'd love to be able to play DIRT2.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not very good at the drift events in Grid. Depending on the track, I keep either slamming into a wall or lose complete control of the car.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not very good at the drift events in Grid. Depending on the track, I keep either slamming into a wall or lose complete control of the car.
    Try it with a wheel, it's near impossible for me.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played GTR2 in a league for a couple years with a gamepad. But I wasn't competitive. I'd say if you're playing competitively, you NEED a wheel.

But for games like GRID and DIRT the gamepad works awesome.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Keep repeatedly tapping the handbrake, say 3 times a second or so. It'll soon click & you can almost drift indefinately for a whole lap.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh hell yesssssss

DIRT 2 is a gentlemanne's game extraodinaire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0lDUk0dwk

You know who only races on asphalt? Pussies. Are you a vagina, or a MAN?

Some pretty hot women actually rally race as well
    credit_to_marc_roy1.jpg

Is that woman more of a man then you? I didn't think so.

Robman on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got all the trophies in GRID last night. The very last race is INSANE, but luckily I won that too.

The drifting is my favorite part of GRID, sadly. Well, maybe the early Muscle Car races.

Hawk on