As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter IV: Everyone loves Chun-li.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Any Chun players able to advise on how to use her focus attack? At the moment I don't use them at all because I have no idea how. I'm only in the C bracket but even when I fight Bs I rarely see people use focus attacks properly so I've not really picked up anything from my fights online. I had this Sagat keep trying to focus attack me on wakeup today and every time I EX SBK him out of it. It was cute.

Depends on the matchup really. General advice though:

Feel free to toss out level 1 FA's when you've trained the guy not to jump (whiffing FA's sucks). After a forward dash you're +1 on block which means free cr.short pressure against option select throw tech'ers (provided you get the timing right). Once you start doing that shit (+throwing after FA) incorporate back dashing to bait out reversals. Then start doing 'fake' FA's by dashing out of them into throws or low short pressure. Lots of potential there if the guy isn't a jab masher.

Have a combo in mind for crumple stuns. There's nothing worse than seeing a chun player use god damn cr.short x2/3 -> ex legs after landing a crumple stun. Not only is it a huge waste of meter it does balls for damage. cr.fp XX hk legs ~mk legs -> whatever is good for forward dashing. If you haven't got that piano down, cr.fp XX mk sbk works. If you lack charge, you could always go for a reset. Standing close rh XX sk hasanshu.

Off a back dash, you could head stomp x1, j.fp, head stomp x3 for flash/meterless damage or replace the last 3x head stomps with EX sbk/ex legs for ultra setup (if it'll kill the guy, damage is ass otherwise). Hasanshu/cr.rh are both options if you want to keep pressure on.

Also, highly recommend not getting into the habit of EX sbk'ing people who are FA'ing over your body. Back dash is almost always the better option. If you get baited, you're a free ultra/big ass combo... and I'd say the majority of FA chargers on your wakeup are going to bait for fish for the level 3. Safest bet is almost always back dash in that case.

Damn, lots of good info here. I'd been looking for ways to incorporate focus attacks into my chun game as well. The only thing I'd add here is that EX legs isn't a waste if you have her ultra 2 ready to go right afterward.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As a non-Chun mainer, my goto combo for anything really is cr.LK, cr.LK, Cr.LP, Cr.LP, st.Hp. (I might do the LP standing, I'm not even sure really I just do it)

He wasn't saying EX legs is a waste, he just meant it is a waste after a crumple stun due to scaling.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hm... thats true. I guess after crumple ex legs is just a waste of meter when the crumple already gives you free ultra.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ytmnd is having a field day with the Guile Theme.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't think that's the right link.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

That's the front page, and there are like...three Guile Theme links.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any Chun players able to advise on how to use her focus attack? At the moment I don't use them at all because I have no idea how. I'm only in the C bracket but even when I fight Bs I rarely see people use focus attacks properly so I've not really picked up anything from my fights online. I had this Sagat keep trying to focus attack me on wakeup today and every time I EX SBK him out of it. It was cute.

Feel free to toss out level 1 FA's when you've trained the guy not to jump (whiffing FA's sucks). After a forward dash you're +1 on block which means free cr.short pressure against option select throw tech'ers (provided you get the timing right). Once you start doing that shit (+throwing after FA) incorporate back dashing to bait out reversals. Then start doing 'fake' FA's by dashing out of them into throws or low short pressure. Lots of potential there if the guy isn't a jab masher.

Have a combo in mind for crumple stuns. There's nothing worse than seeing a chun player use god damn cr.short x2/3 -> ex legs after landing a crumple stun. Not only is it a huge waste of meter it does balls for damage. cr.fp XX hk legs ~mk legs -> whatever is good for forward dashing. If you haven't got that piano down, cr.fp XX mk sbk works. If you lack charge, you could always go for a reset. Standing close rh XX sk hasanshu.

Off a back dash, you could head stomp x1, j.fp, head stomp x3 for flash/meterless damage or replace the last 3x head stomps with EX sbk/ex legs for ultra setup (if it'll kill the guy, damage is ass otherwise). Hasanshu/cr.rh are both options if you want to keep pressure on.

Also, highly recommend not getting into the habit of EX sbk'ing people who are FA'ing over your body. Back dash is almost always the better option. If you get baited, you're a free ultra/big ass combo... and I'd say the majority of FA chargers on your wakeup are going to bait or fish for the level 3. Safest bet is almost always back dash in that case.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all that.

Moioink on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

That's the front page, and there are like...three Guile Theme links.

you should probably link those instead.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone up for some games on the PS3?

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

i'm down. ill sign on in like, 5 minutes.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm a bit disappointed that there were no new chars that made it into top 8. Oh well, it hasn't been that long.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn I love to EX Hooligan when someone is taunting. Gets em every time.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that there were no new chars that made it into top 8. Oh well, it hasn't been that long.

Only one Dudley in the top 16 right? I dunno, I think the new characters just have a lot of bad/tough matchups. Ironically, I think most of the characters who have favorable matchups against the new cast (abel/rufus/rog), have bad/tough matchups against the 'old' top tiers (shotos/sagat/gief).

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

GGs Folken. You got the spacing for Chun's standing fierce down. Ate so many of those. :)

thepassenger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

GGs Folken. You got the spacing for Chun's standing fierce down. Ate so many of those. :)

Hehe thanks. GGs to you as well. I still have trouble with lots of matchups (Cody, Rog, Guile) as I'm sure you've noticed. I was only able to grab 'rog out of his ex rush once...

What part of the country are you located? Bars were red, but the connection seemed fine...

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This pad Fei Long on the Stream is fucking sick.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HAHA

PadLong landed Fei long ultra 2 on Stanford's cammy. :)

Edit: And now PadLong took Sanford's Sagat out.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Holy shit, pad Fei Long perfecting Sanford's Sagat. Holy. Shit.

Inthul is my new hero.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

Inthul is my new hero.

Oh good, you guys are watching this too.

Does anyone know if TvC has already happened? I'm guessing yes. Are there results posted anywhere?

Also, I heard the term "double jeopardy" before that Sanford fight. Can someone explain that to me?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Winning on a pad = +1.

Winning with Fei Long = +1.

Beating Sanford with Pad Long = dayum.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    east coast throwdown inthul is so hype right now

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That pad Fei is freakin' inspirational.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BTP wrote: »

Inthul is my new hero.

Does anyone know if TvC has already happened? I'm guessing yes. Are there results posted anywhere?

Also, I heard the term "double jeopardy" before that Sanford fight. Can someone explain that to me?

Here are the TvC results:
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom — Top 8

1. Martin "Marn" Phan (Alex, Zero)
    2. Ryan "RyRy" Cadiente (Jun the Swan / Chun-Li / Ryu)
    3. Eric V. (Morrigan / Zero / Saki)
    4. Justin Wong
    5. Eddie "Rid" Gibson
    5. Joe "ILOVEU" Ciaramelli
    7. Andre "Infamous" Lee
    7. Money "Melee Machine" Smith

$250 pot, 15 players — 1st $175, 2nd $50, 3rd $25

Fig-D on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Probably talking about how the winner can't change their ultra in between matches. Inthul picked Ultra 2 for Cammy, then Sanford switched to Sagat and he had to stick with Ultra 2.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That pad Fei is freakin' inspirational.

It makes me want to see this guy take on Shine and his Gouken.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HAHA

PadLong landed Fei long ultra 2 on Stanford's cammy. :)

Edit: And now PadLong took Sanford's Sagat out.

Wow! Details? Can't view the stream right now.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Inthul is my new hero.

Marn won TvC with Zero and Alex.

Results are here: http://tonamento.com/ViewTournament.aspx?id=450

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

IIRC, sanford already played.... arturo? and I think they switched matchups in the losers bracket so they wouldn't face each other again.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Probably talking about how the winner can't change their ultra in between matches. Inthul picked Ultra 2 for Cammy, then Sanford switched to Sagat and he had to stick with Ultra 2.

Uh.....that's not how it sounded to me during the announcement. I would think he couldn't change ultras if he won the previous match. He was able to change it after the loss to Sagat.

Thanks for the TvC results. Can't wait for the YouTubes.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Also, highly recommend not getting into the habit of EX sbk'ing people who are FA'ing over your body. Back dash is almost always the better option. If you get baited, you're a free ultra/big ass combo... and I'd say the majority of FA chargers on your wakeup are going to bait or fish for the level 3. Safest bet is almost always back dash in that case.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all that.

Addendum to this: cr.fp xx mk spinning bird kick is almost always your best option. The backdash headstomp options are hard to do and not really worth it as far as I can tell. The other option he mentioned, c.fp xx hk legs, mk legs is only better if you can link the crouching roundhouse after the mk legs, otherwise cr.fp xx m.sbk is better damage.

A combo I didn't see him mention is focus crumple, dash forward cs.(close standing) roundhouse xx ex legs. That might be your highest damage option into ultra from crumple, perhaps even more damaging than just crumple into ultra. Edit: I just checked really quick. Lvl3 focus, dash forwards, cs.rh xx ex legs juggle into ultra 2 does 443. Crumple straight into ultra deals 361. It might even be her most damaging combo into ultra.

Also, we are discussing East Coast Throwdown live in PA irc right now, so everyone should get on! It's like ustream chat, but without the retards. Well, without the retards, and Kinderparty (<3).

Edit: here is a list of shit to do and the damage it does from level 3 FA

c.fp xx m.sbk: 289
    c.fp xx ex sbk: 279
    cs.rh xx ex legs: 284
    dash ex legs: 216
    dash ultra 2: 361
    cs.rh xx ex legs ultra 2: 443
    c.fp xx hk legs mk legs: 240
    c.fp xx hk legs mk legs, c.hk: 285
    c.fp xx hk legs mk legs, mk super: 410
    c.fp xx ex legs ex sbk: 346

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Uh.....that's not how it sounded to me during the announcement. I would think he couldn't change ultras if he won the previous match. He was able to change it after the loss to Sagat.

Thanks for the TvC results. Can't wait for the YouTubes.
    I'm not familiar with the term and I didn't hear it on the stream, so it was just a guess. But yes, you can only change Ultra on a loss.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited May 2010

IIRC, sanford already played.... arturo? and I think they switched matchups in the losers bracket so they wouldn't face each other again.

Ohhhhh.....I get it. Being a double elimination, it's two losses by two different people to get eliminated. Okay, thanks.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    390 viewers now on the Fei Long forum on srk.

Edit: 402

Edit: 503

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    390 viewers now on the Fei Long forum on srk.

I think it's more of a meme now than anything. People are just going there just because it got mentioned in stream/gaf/etc.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man watching Rufus play is making me dislike him. That Ultra 2 is crazy.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    http://i47.tinypic.com/b8mo8w.jpg

Too wide to in-line, but someone on GAF got this before it crashed. 727 in the Fei Long forum.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hehe thanks. GGs to you as well. I still have trouble with lots of matchups (Cody, Rog, Guile) as I'm sure you've noticed. I was only able to grab 'rog out of his ex rush once...

What part of the country are you located? Bars were red, but the connection seemed fine...
    I am 50 miles north of NYC. Those bars are totally worthless indicator. I'm not sure if it felt laggy or not, I just got a new TV, and there's some input lag or ghosting going on. I'm also not used to seeing the game in all its HD glory, so most of the time I'm playing I have to pick my jaw up off the floor.

thepassenger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This has to be the lamest match I've ever seen.

Edit: So happy that the person doing that cheesy Seth nonsense got beat.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OH SHIT! PAD-LONG WINS! MOVES ON TO LOSERS FINALS!

Edit: This is a horrible TOTP.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God damn at Pad Long - that was fucking amazing.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ