As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome to [Happy Town] (light spoilers in OP)

LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to Happy Town
34jf3mq.jpg
Happy Town is ABC's latest foray into the mystery/thriller genre. Taking place in Haplin, Minnesota, the series follows Sheriff Tommy Conroy as he works to uncover the mysteries plaguing his hometown after a brutal murder, including the mystery of "The Magic Man," a serial abducter who terrorized the town several years before the start of the series. It currently runs Wednesday nights at 10p.m. EDT

Story
Haplin, Minnesota is an unassuming, peaceful little town. However, years ago, a series of mysterious disappearances left the residents in fear as loved ones were snatched away without a trace. Enduring the terror caused by this abducter, called as "The Magic Man" for his ability to steal people away without a trace, the town finally found peace 5 years ago.

However, that peace is shattered with a brutal murder commited on the town's icy lake: a railroad spike driven through the skull of the town peeping tom, Jerry Friddle. Now that blood has been spilled, dark secrets must be uncovered before it is too late, as the town's residents are plunged once more into the grips of an unknown threat.

Some spoilers follow below:

Cast:
Tommy Conroy (Geoff Stults): Son of the previous Sheriff, Griffin Conroy, Tommy is appointed as sheriff of the town after his father's bizarre, self-destructive breakdown which has left him hospitalized. Despite his reluctance, Tommy accepts the position. As the story progresses and secrets are uncovered, he will discover his hometown of Haplin is not the place he thought it to be. Has a mean right hook. He and his wife Rachel have a daughter, Emma.

Rachel Conroy (Amy Acker): Tommy's wife, who works at Our Daily Baking and Confectionary , the town baking factory run by John Haplin. As Tommy Delves deeper into the mysteries in town, she finds herself drawn deeper into the the mystery surrounding the town's infamous abductor: The Magic Man. She and Tommy have a daughter, Emma.

Peggy Haplin (Frances Conroy): Current matriarch of the Haplin family, the founders of the town. Wealthy and influencial, she is one of the leaders in the community. It is she who, against his own wishes, appoints Tommy as acting sheriff during his father's incapacitation.

John Haplin (Steven Webber): Son of Peggy Haplin, John runs the Our Daily Baking and Confectionary, which employs many of the town's residents. John's daughter, Addie, was one of those who vanished without a trace years ago, a tragey from which he has never fully recovered. Blaming her unexplained disappearance on the enigmatic "Magic Man;" he holds a grudge against Griffin Conroy because of of the sheriff's department inability to find Addie and Conroy's denial of the Magic Man's existence.

Andrew Haplin (Ben Schnetzer): The son of John Haplin, Andrew would love to move out of the town his family built, but, being a Haplin, that may be little more than a dream. He is in a secret relationship with Georgia Bravin, fearing his father's disapproval for dating someone from Cooks Ridge.

Georgia Bravin (Sarah Gadon): Often found at the Conroy home babysitting their daughter Emma, Georgia hails from Haplin's "bad side" of town, Cooks Ridge. Despite her negative living conditions and father, Georgia maintains a positive life. She is secretly dating Andrew Haplin and was witness to noises coming from the ice-fishing hut where Jerry Fiddle was murdered.

Henley Boone (Lauren German): The most recent resident of Haplin, Henley moves to town after the death of her mother, who had visited the town in the past. A candle maker, she is looking to set up a candle shop with her inheritance. However, she seems to have a connection to the mystery surrounding the town and is finding herself on the path of uncovering things that don't want to be revealed. One of her distinct physical traits is a question-marked shape tattoo that seems to be a reoccurring symbol in the series. She may know more about the town than she lets on, and has been seen talking to someone at night over the phone while refering to herself as "Chloe." Henley resides in the Meadows Boarding House and is taking an interest in it's third floor.

Merritt Grieves (Sam Neill): Another recent arrival, Grieves hails from Manchester, England, coming to Haplin to open up a memorabilia shop, The House of Ushers, specializing in classic films. Despite being a recent arrival, Grieves seems to knows the tale of the Magic Man, more than he likely should. Like Henley, he too is a resident of the Meadows Boarding House. Sheriff Griffin Conroy has told him in the past to leave town, for reasons unknown.

Roger Hobbs (Robert Wisdom): The sheriff's second-in-command, Chief Inspector Roger Hobbs was passed over by the town matriarch Peggy Haplin to take over as sheriff after Sheriff Griffin Conroy's breakdown in favor of Conroy's, Deputy Tommy Conroy. Despite this, Roger is a man of duty and doesn't let that get in the way of him doing the job of protecting Haplin.

Eli "Root Beer" Rogers (Jay Paulson): One of the deputies of Haplin's sheriff's department and friend of Tommy, Eli may not be the most experienced cop, but he's trustworthy and eager, which will prove invaluable as Tommy begins to uncover the secrets plaguing the town.

Griffin Conroy (M.C. Gainey): Previous sheriff of Haplin and father of Tommy, Sheriff Griffin Conroy has served as Haplin's sheriff for years. However, soon after the recent murder on the town's lake, Griffin begins to show signs of possible mental distress, constantly refering to an unknown girl named "Chloe," as well as muttering that someone is returning now that blood has been spilled. Eventually leading to a self-destructive breakdown, Griffin is hospitalized. Despite his wife's passing and his son's encouragement to move past her death, he still wears his wedding ring.

The Stiviletto Brothers: Ronald, Lincoln, Womper and Baby Boy are the Stiviletto brothersand their reputation in town is a rather poor one. Rude, crude and having yet to show any particular level of intellect, the brothers

The Magic Man: "He had an ability to make people disappear so completely that bordered on the mystical." That description, given by Merrit Grieves, is perhaps the only thing really known about the Magic Man. Blamed by much of the town's populace for the disappearances several years ago, his existence boarders on the edge of suspicion and urban myth, as no one has ever proven that he even ever existed. The murder of Jerry Friddle looks to stir up the dark terror of the Magic Man once again.

Significant Locations:
Our Daily Baking and Confectionary: The baked goods factory in town, which employs around 12% of it's residents.

The House of Ushers: Merritt Grieve's movie memoriabilia store. Grieves admits that it's not exactly a popular spot for the town's residents.

Haplin Sherrif's Department: The town sheriff's department.

Meadow Boarding House: Home to Dot Meadows and a gathering place for her friends. Henley Boone and Merritt Grieves both board here. Dot has explicity made clear that the third floor is off limits.

Ice-Fishing Hut: The site of the brutal murder of Jerry Friddle, the town peeping tom.

Stiviletto Farm: The property owned by the Stivetto Brothers. Not particularly well kept.

Thematic Elements
The Blue Door: A film from the early days of cinema, it is mentioned by Merritt Grieves to Henley Boone when she comes to visit The House of Ushers. The titular "Blue Door" is, according Grieves, the "porthole" into man's heart. Incidentally, the door to the shack where Jerry Friddel also features a blue door, where a mysterious figure lurks.

Currently, Happy Town is slated for 8 episodes. Unfortunately, ratings aren't fairing too well for the premier, averaging around those of it's predecessors Eastwick and Ugly Betty. Let's hope, if things don't go well for renewal, that they can get something of a complete story together. You can check out the series online on Hulu and on ABC's own Happy Town Web site

EDIT: Updated with Online streaming links and updating Rachel and Tommy's bios a bit

waNkm4k.jpg?1
Lanz on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So.

I have the first two episodes on my DVR, but I don't feel like investing my time in it unless I know it won't be canceled midway through the season...

How is it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    So.

I have the first two episodes on my DVR, but I don't feel like investing my time in it unless I know it won't be canceled midway through the season...

How is it.

First episode was a little wonky and disjointed, I thought. But the second episode felt much more solid (aside from a scene where it was natural that it shouldn't feel too "solid," but I don't want to spoil it), and felt like it gained it's footing.

I'd definitely try to watch them back to back, if possible.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited May 2010
    New episode tonight at 10

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited May 2010
    Aaaaaaaaaaand episode starts now.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Mr. PovondraMr. Povondra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Watched the pilot, thought it was pretty damn awful (albeit in a fairly entertaining way). I'm going to struggle through the next few episodes to see if it gets any better, but only because it has Amy Acker.

Mr. Povondra on
    edited May 2010
    well... crap. D:

EDIT: In response to the AV Club link.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe they'll do it like Harpers and just schedule it for Saturdays before SNL to burn through the rest of them, so at least we get to see what happens.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This cancellation news saddens me. I thought the show had some major potential.

Every time I get into a show from the beginning it gets canceled.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited June 2010
    So, it appears the show came back with a new episode last week, and another episode will be on tonight at 10EDT/9c

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    So, it appears the show came back with a new episode last week, and another episode will be on tonight at 10EDT/9c

Yeah, this took my by surprise actually. I wasn't expecting an episode 5.

Any news on finishing out the season, or are they still planning to stop at 8 or 9?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited June 2010
    last I knew, episode 8 is the season finale.

And is it me or is the show oddly self aware at points?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1