As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[British Politics] Not As F****D As We Thought!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That makes sense considering tories are like acid to scotland.

If we put a Tory into that position we would observe Scotland literally melt into the ocean.

Maybe not, but you would see the Nats and a fair proportion of Labour MPs stirring up as much shit as possible over practically everything.

japan on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FIRE DOESN'T CAUSE COALITIONS TO COLLAPSE! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And he movingly he added: 'I thank my sons John and Fraser for the love and joy they bring to our lives.

Good ol' Daily Mail.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will be interested to see how that Cap works. Is it actually going to be all immigration or only certain types. Say non EU. Or non bilateral arrangements (like Working Holidays). Or will it only apply to immigrants who go through the non EU/non Refugee section?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Afaik you can actually place restrictions on EU Immigration, just not really harsh ones.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Afaik you can actually place restrictions on EU Immigration, just not really harsh ones.

Interesting. It isn't an area I know much about.

Anyway, caps on Commonwealth Working Holiday visas or restricting our access might go down rather badly back home and could result in tit for tat restrictions - and there are a lot of British short term or permanent migrants who make NZ or Australia their destination.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    article-1276808-0987B352000005DC-183_634x413.jpg

D'awww

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's very sad to think that one of the things that Brown and Cameron have in common is that they've both lost young children. It always sits in the back of my mind when I say something critical of them.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't it the first time we've seen his children?

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There'll be an emergency budget within 50 days. £6bn in cuts and renewal of Trident but possibly reform of the program.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't it the first time we've seen his children?

I said earlier that I didnt even know he had any, especially that young so hes hidden them well.

But we're not like America, we;ve never cared about politicians kids unless theyre exploiting the expenses system or getting very light punishments for Drunk and Disorderly

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Apparently it's the first time he's brought them into the public eye.

Looking at that though it really strikes me how utterly relieved he looked to have it all finished with. After nearly breaking down in tears he handed his resignation into his boss and walked off into the sunset with his adorable family.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's probably the case that Downing Street and the media had an agreement set up where they wouldn't be allowed to use footage/photos of Brown and his child unless authorised by Downing Street,

Similar to when Harry was in Afghanistan. The papers were aware of it from the start but held an agreement where they wouldn't report it.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think Brown has always deliberately tried to keep his family out of the public eye.

japan on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My uncle used to be head of security at Eton College. He threw a reporter in the Thames for hassling William and Harry on the days after Diana's death.

Tabloid reporters and paparazzi are bastards to politician's and royal's kids.

I'm glad he managed to keep them out of the public eye.

I am reminded of Carol and Mark Thatcher. Some fun nepotism there for those who are hoping the Tories have changed their spots.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lib Dem meeting is breaking up, unanimous approval for the deal.

EDIT: "When you see the number of key Liberal Democrat policies that are going to be enacted by this coalition government, you'll understand."

japan on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh my

I am liking the number of Lib Dem policies that I've already heard about going through

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I think Brown has always deliberately tried to keep his family out of the public eye.

In a recent interview, he said it was what he was most proud of - raising a family in fairly normal conditions.

Also, christ almighty that child has a jaw.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I must say, a rather magnificent turn of events. This is Clegg's grand opportunity to marginalise the Social Democrat influence which has so disastrously engulfed our party, and I should certainly think he will not hesitate to forge out of this tempered coalition a Liberal Party once again speaking for the bedrock values of British liberalism. Well done, fellows!

Doctor Livingstone on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think Doctor Livingstone is posting in-character.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I didn't think the Liberals had an Orange Book wing until the early 21st century, but whatever.

I mean what-ho.

edit: oh right regular liberalism. OK that makes more sense.

Isidore on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blarg this got BOTP'd.
    Aegis wrote: »
    Question regarding the 'fixed-term parliament' thing that comes up.

Over here in your humble servant of Canuckistan, by virtue of our Constitution Act creating the country no act of the Legislature can alter the Governor General's power (and Prime Minister's, but more accurately the GG) to dissolve parliament. This has the effect that fixed-term laws which are passed (which they have been before) are nothing more than a political paperweight since they have no actual force, and are simply ignored in practice.

Is there a similar thing in the UK or does your lack of a formal Constitution cause fixed-election-date laws to have actual power?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't the Canadian Conservatives pass a fixed term law and then just passed a no-confidence motion in themselves when they wanted an election anyway?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, since no law can prevent the GG from exercising her power to dissolve parliament when asked by a PM, hence the curiousity if the Queen functioned similarly in this British context.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I think Doctor Livingstone is posting in-character.
    From what I understand of the gentleman, he would have been instead rather more amicable to the Christian Party and their attempts to crown Jesus as the Queen's successor! :P

I simply thought I might knock in on behalf of the liberal Unionists here at Trinity Dublin - it has proven a wonderfully rousing day indeed for Liberal supporters across the Isles! Clegg has at last, after so many long years lost to the shameful wilderness of cod-Labour policy, struck a thoroughly decisive blow for the sort of liberalism which made this party the most illustrious organisation in British political history.

Tonight, lads, I do believe one can hear strains of See, the Conquering Hero Comes on the air... :D

Doctor Livingstone on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have to say, I think Clegg has navigated treacherous waters with some skill. He's a damn fine politician; you can take that as both an insult and a compliment, hopefully more the latter than the former.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blarg this got BOTP'd.
    Question regarding the 'fixed-term parliament' thing that comes up.

Over here in your humble servant of Canuckistan, by virtue of our Constitution Act creating the country no act of the Legislature can alter the Governor General's power (and Prime Minister's, but more accurately the GG) to dissolve parliament. This has the effect that fixed-term laws which are passed (which they have been before) are nothing more than a political paperweight since they have no actual force, and are simply ignored in practice.

Is there a similar thing in the UK or does your lack of a formal Constitution cause fixed-election-date laws to have actual power?

Let me put it this way: while Westminster is basically supreme in all areas, even being able to pass laws which criminalize things retro-actively (ex post facto I believe is the term), a government cannot remain the government without supply from Parliament. That is its biggest power, and so if supply is denied (i.e. confidence is lost in the government) by the Commons, then the Prime Minister will have to resign.

Dissolution of Parliament is not automatic though. So if, say, Cameron lost the Lib-Dem support in two years and lost a budget vote or something, he would have to resign or Parliament would have to be dissolved. No law saying otherwise would really matter, as the government would be attempting to carry on without money or taxation power, all of which rests with and comes from Parliament and the Commons more specifically.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Email from Clegg last night at 12.45 or so to the Party
    "Tonight the Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Party and the Federal Executive of the Liberal Democrat party have overwhelmingly accepted my recommendation that we should now enter into a coalition government with the Conservative Party."

"Before I say anything more about that coalition government I would like to express my thanks and admiration for Gordon Brown. He has been a towering figure in British politics for well over a decade. And the manner in which he has acted over the last few days has demonstrated immense dignity, grace and a profound sense of his public duty.

"We are now going to form a new government More importantly than anything else, we are going to form a new kind of government; I hope this is the start of a new kind of politics I have always believed in. Diverse, plural, where politicians with different points of view find a way to work together to provide the good government for the sake of the whole country deserves.

"That was what we were asked to do by the people of Britain in the General Election last Thursday and that is what we will deliver.

"I want to thank David Cameron for the very open, constructive and workmanlike way in which we have come together to make this agreement on how we can come together in this coalition government. We are obviously politicians from different parties. I believe we are now united in seeking to meet the immense challenges that now face the country and to deliver a fairer, better Britain.

"Of course there will be problems along the way; of course there will be glitches. But I will always do my best to prove that new politics isn't just possible - it is also better.

"I'd like to say something directly to the nearly seven million people who supported the Liberal Democrats in the General Election last week. I am now acutely aware that I carry your hopes and aspirations into this coalition agreement.

"I am sure you have many questions, maybe many doubts. But I can assure you I would not have entered into this agreement unless I was genuinely convinced it was a unique opportunity to deliver the changes you and I believe in.
    # Fair taxes.
    # A fair start in life for every child.
    # A new approach to our discredited banking system and the prospect of green and sustainable economic growth.
    # And new, open politics which you can trust once again.

"So I hope you will now keep faith with us let us prove to you that we can serve this country with humility, with fairness at the heart of everything we do. And with total dedication to the interests and livelihoods of everyone in this country."

Kalkino on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If this is the Tory party with the far-right bits taken away, and quite a few liberal policies added on, what are the main differences we are going to see between this and New Labour?

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    cherv1 wrote: »
    If this is the Tory party with the far-right bits taken away, and quite a few liberal policies added on, what are the main differences we are going to see between this and New Labour?

Um. Well, more actual referendums and less ID cards?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hopefully fewer Soviet-style mega-projects which never materialise.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »

So soviet-style mega projects that will materialise? Or no more mega-projects? I want my dome enclosing Scotland.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The LibDems offered a referendum on EU membership did they not? Seems like an area that both of them would have agreed to, odd.

Anyway Brussels is going to be very confused by this arangement, probably pissed that they'll be dealing with Hague and that Ashton no longer has the ear of the British government.

Pissed? They're going to love it, Mitterand and Kohl ran rings round Thatcher, why do you think they were happy to give the "British rebate" to Thatcher? Because it allowed them to push through every other piece of european legislation they wanted.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

So soviet-style mega projects that will materialise? Or no more mega-projects? I want my dome enclosing Scotland.

Is it to keep them in or out?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

To keep them dry and warm.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2010

To keep them dry and warm.

Oh. Well I clearly have misjudged your love and care for the people.

How do you feel about a bridge from Bristol to Brussels?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want an underground tunnel from Magherafelt to Elblag.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

No, you are not allowed nice things

Kalkino on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

No, you are not allowed nice things

You think a tunnel over 1500 miles long with no other exits and no ventilation is a nice thing?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BBC News wrote:
    The Lib Dems have got another of their big wishes - we've learned that there's going to be wholesale reform of the House of Lords, early in the parliament, to make it fully elected. And the method they're going to use to elect it? Proportional representation, the system the Lib Dems have loved for so long, says the BBC News channel's chief political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg.

Clegg's done verrrrry well.

chidona on