As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't re-enable Code signing for drivers in Windows 7?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
Recently, I've been trying to get some old drivers for virtual controller emulation working in Windows 7. I was displeased with the results, and had no trouble uninstalling everything, but I've run into a problem.

In the Local Group Policy Editor, I turned disabled "Code signing for drivers" under Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installations. I want to turn it back on, but now I can't find it....it's not in the same folder.

Anyone know how I can turn it back on?

Synthesis on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 x64 Professional, and I don't see the "Code signing for drivers" option in the Group Policy editor either. The first result on Google led me to a list of steps here.

However, I do know that 64-bit editions of Windows disable the use of unsigned drivers by default every boot. To disable the code signing for drivers for one session of Windows, press F8 before boot and select the option to allow unsigned drivers. You will need to do this every time before starting Windows.

There is a couple of ways to get around this, detailed here. Of course all of this only applies if you're running Win7 x64.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am. Actually, I'm familiar with the need to do that, since that's why I used this roundabout method (among other things). I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit, Professional.

What I want to do is re-enable it, which I'm unclear on.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The code signing is either on or off at bootup. I don't think that Group Policy item is present in x64 at all. I'm guessing that booting up without pressing F8 or without driver Test Mode running should be enough to enable code signing again. To test it, just try using an unsigned driver. Windows should stop you from doing so.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The code signing is either on or off at bootup. I don't think that Group Policy item is present in x64 at all. I'm guessing that booting up without pressing F8 or without driver Test Mode running should be enough to enable code signing again. To test it, just try using an unsigned driver. Windows should stop you from doing so.

I think you're right in so much as it being an option in boot up, but I know the option was there. Mostly because I saw it.

That being said, I think you're right about the boot check. I'm just not sure how exactly I can test this after setting it....I don't really know where I can get an unsigned driver.

Synthesis on