As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disappointing framerate on nice PC?

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
Hi.

My PC setup is this:

E8400 CPU: 3.0 GHz dual-core, 6 MB L2 Cache, 1333 FSB
4 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM
GTX 285 2 GB video card
7200 RPM 500 GB HDD, WoW is on its own partition which I defrag+optimize every 2 weeks
700W Power Supply

I run on Windows XP 64-bit, SP2 (newest release) and the only thing running in the background is Ventrilo. I play fullscreen at 1920x1200 with Ultra settings, and in raids I get about 20-35 FPS (depending on the fight and where it is; it's higher on fights like Deathwhisper, which are inside, and lower on fights like Sindragosa, which are outside).

My suitemate also uses Ultra, on quad-core computer with a lower cache, lower FSB, and lower clock-speed, identical memory and hard drive, and a GT 9700 video card. He plays on Vista 64-bit at 1680x1050 and gets much higher framerates than I do in raids.

Is there something I should optimize...? I have my video card set to High Performance, 4x Anti-Aliasing, and everything else basically turned off to prevent it eating performance. I don't have V-sync or "Reduce Input Lag" turned on.

Is the resolution really the dealbreaker here? I just feel like with the specs I have I should be annihilating WoW, or really any game that's on the market right now.

3cl1ps3 on

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After overclocking my CPU to 3.8 GHz (still idling pretty cool, and stable; going to 4.0 GHz caused a crash upon loading WoW) I'm seeing about a 30% increase in FPS. Nice, but still not as high as I'd like/think I should get. I have new memory coming (current memory is t3h cheapz0r) which I should be able to overclock to 1066 MHz (Corsair Dominator PC2-8500, 2x2 GB), so hopefully I'll squeeze some more performance out of that.

Motherboard is an eVGA N-Force 780i, for reference. Does pretty well with overclocking, as does my fan system.

Umm. How big of a difference can dust make? There's a fair amount of dust in my case, now that I look through the window in the side of it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    iirc dust can make a large difference in performance if there is enough of it
    you should clean out the dust. and also stop speaking like that...

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    XP 64 was never supported very well back in the day and I doubt it's getting better supprt now. I'd suspect that one of your system drivers is creating a bottleneck. You could create a small partition and install Vista or 7 in trial mode and see if that solves your performance issue.

Edit: also, dust is bad in that it acts as an insulator preventing your heatsinks from working properly. But if you're able to oc to 4ghz without crashing then I don't think you're having any heat related problems.

Houndx on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Verify that you're using MSAA for anti aliasing, not FSAA or even worse super sampling.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    After overclocking my CPU to 3.8 GHz (still idling pretty cool, and stable; going to 4.0 GHz caused a crash upon loading WoW) I'm seeing about a 30% increase in FPS.

This seems to point to your system being CPU bound so changing other things probably won't help you much. That's not exactly surprising given your GPU and the fact you are playing WoW but I guess the question is why your FPS is so low.

Don't really know much about WoW performance, maybe look up some WoW CPU benchmarks.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also you might want some better RAM, if your motherboard can take it. Whilst upgrading my computer the biggest performance boost (after the processor) came when I installed my DDR3.

zen- on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pretty certain Houndx is right. XP-64 probably isn't supported at all. Switch to reg XP or Vista64 or Win764.

Better ram won't help. I have the bottom of the barrel ram and a system that is much less than that and I can crush wow. Especially for wow, its just the amount of RAM, he has 4, he'll be fine.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also doubt it to be a RAM problem, and I'm going to point my finger to XP64, I used it for almost a year and it was nothing but problems. I don't play WoW so I have no idea if the game is just not made for higher end computers or something.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's definitely something nasty that could be said about XP-64.

When it comes to WoW, yes, resolution can make a difference, but I also suggest not having shadows at the absolute maximum setting if that's what it is set to, since that seems to be the biggest surprise for people getting their performance killed.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gonna reiterate that for 64-bit Windows to be any good, you need Vista or 7. Dunno if that's the problem though.

It's pretty clear that your framerate is CPU-limited in some way, though with a CPU that fast it probably shouldn't be. Then again, I have heard that raids are murder on framerates. (Having not actually played the game beyond the wanting to kill myself after an hour in the newbie area point, I have no perspective to offer.)

An addon might be the culprit.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At least with WoW I'd be quicker to blame your specific UI configuration and higher resolution for the difference than any real hardware issues, however you might get a small boost from enabling vsync + triple buffering.

bigbh on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bigbh wrote: »
    however you might get a small boost from enabling vsync + triple buffering.

I can't really imagine a scenario in which this would improve the framerate. Vsync always reduces the framerate, and the idea of triple-buffering is to maintain smoothness when the framerate cannot exactly match the monitor's refresh, and would only bring the framerate closer to what it would be without vsync.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you also might get a small boost from flashing your bios if you haven't done that already. In fact, try updating your entire set of drivers.

Also, if you've overclocked your PC, there is a chance that it will perform horribly under load if you're undervolted. When I clocked to 4ghz, the PC ran super slow because it would make 50 non-lethal errors a second. You can easily check this by running prime95 for a while, but you've probably already done so during the overclock.

Maybe your motherboard is throttling itself a bit hard because you're running hot; most modern motherboards are capable of doing this. Try educating yourself on what some of the more esoteric bios options are, especially if you decide to flash it to the latest version.

and yeah get windows 7 man

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    End wrote: »
    There's definitely something nasty that could be said about XP-64.

When it comes to WoW, yes, resolution can make a difference, but I also suggest not having shadows at the absolute maximum setting if that's what it is set to, since that seems to be the biggest surprise for people getting their performance killed.

Shadows, Resolution, and Draw Distance are usually the 3 worst offenders. Draw Distance especially in my case. In Azeroth and to a lesser extent Outlands I can crank up the DD to max (in Outlands, near max) but in Northrend, with the extra textures and stuff it has to be at about 30% for mine not to really stutter. Saeris in the UI thread in the MMO subforum gave me a neat macro for quickly switching my draw distance between predetermined values, if you wanna give that a shot. I don't have it on hand however.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I bet it's XP-64 and its dodgy driver support. Use Windows 7.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera