As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 "Import Media Files" Popup

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
Hey, I'm on a Windows 7 computer, and every time I sync it with the Olympus digital recorder I'm using, it prompts me to "import media files," which I think is interfering with the software that came with the recorder. How do I make it stop doing that?

Thanatos on

• Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is a complex question.
    The camera's doing that when it's plugged in, because windows sees it as a form of USB storage. (it's probably acting like a basic SD card reader by default).

Popping up that dialog is what windows does when you plug in removable media like an SD card. You can disable that behavior, but that's not going to stop windows from treating it AS removable media.

So, the question is, when the software that came with the camera is working normally, should the camera still act like an SD card reader, or does the software provide a different driver that should be working instead (providing more direct access to the camera for the software's purposes)

Or, instead, does the software just expect to be able to read the data off of a device that looks like an SD card? If this is normally the case, then your software should show up in that list of things that can be done with the media card. Pick it, set it to 'default' and off you go (may cause it to pop up for all removable media though)

Note: this isn't the only time i've heard of camera software behaving poorly, particularly on newer OSs. It seems they have a knack for producing brittle software that breaks when the environment changes normally underneath them. Look for an update on their website that handles win7 better?

Edit: Just realized you said "Recorder" not "camera". Is this a video camera, and you're expecting to be able to setup video streaming, but it's acting like a simple SD card reader? I'd definitely try reinstalling the camera software, and failing that, find a newer version. it should be acting like a data capture device. Also check the device's settings, it might have an option to change how it presents itself to whatever it's plugged into?

ashridah on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I should add, if it worked at one point, and then stopped, best i can suggest is that you reinstall the software. Unfortunately, windows has decided that the normal usb storage driver is a better fit. I couldn't tell you who's to blame there though. probably both the camera software and windows.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is a digital dictaphone, not a camera.

And the software that comes with it only allows a limited number of installations; I'd rather not re-install it, then have that not work, or have the same problem come up again in a few weeks.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, any other suggestions? And how do I disable that stupid popup?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    There isn't a check box that says "Do this action every time I plug this device in"? That way you tell it "No Action" and then to do that every time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There isn't a check box that says "Do this action every time I plug this device in"? That way you tell it "No Action" and then to do that every time.

You would think, but no, there's not.

There's a "Drive" selection (for the drive you're importing from), a "folder to be imported" selection for where you want it going to, a "Change" button that brings up an "Import Settings" window with options for "do not import duplicates," and "Delete media files from media after they are imported to a computer," as well as a choice of "Show import configuration dialog box" or "start importing files without confirmation."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can you take some screenshots of these various dialog boxes?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Capture.png
    The window on the left is the one that pops up whenever I insert the dictaphone. The one on the right is what pops up when I click the "change" button.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, now the thing seems to be uploading fine, but it still pops up this stupid fucking window. I tried turning off the Autoplay settings in the control panel; no dice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try looking under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Autoplay and see if your device is listed at the bottom of the window.
    48571228.png

Edit: Well, looks like you already did that...

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I turned every one of those to "do nothing." It still does it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, hoping someone in here can maybe help with this. It's a pain in the ass, and should be ridiculously simple to fix.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, so I finally figured out that this wasn't a Windows thing, but a Sony Picture Utility thing (as you can see, there's nothing indicating that on the screenshot).

I don't suppose anyone knows a good way to get the Sony Picture Utility to stop doing this?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you use it? Uninstall it if you don't. I can't imagine Sony's picture software is any better than Windows' built in functionality or other photo software's functionality.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do you use it? Uninstall it if you don't. I can't imagine Sony's picture software is any better than Windows' built in functionality or other photo software's functionality.
    I don't use it, but my boss does.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Open up the help file and search for the name of the dialog box. You might find a solution.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DesertRatTwoDesertRatTwo Registered User new member
    Four years ago? Well, for anyone else who still wants an easy solution... This also happens every time I plug in any USB device that has media on it. I solved it by going into the Sony folder in Programs, DCF folder. Find the file named SPUDCFImporter.exe and simply add ".save" on the end of it. Don't delete the file; you might want it later on. (There is also a *importer.exe file in the Disc folder.) This will prevent the media importer window from opening when you plug in a USB device. You can also disable it be going into the Sony Picture Utility program but I haven't tried that.