Options

Trying to find a book Tycho mentioned...

MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A few months (maybe longer? I'm back to January already) ago, Tycho mentioned an author in the newspost. A fantasy author whom, I believe, was/is a forum member. I remember clicking the link to said author's website, and reading reviews, and being sincerely interested in finding the book and reading it. But now I can't remember the dude's name, or the name of the book he wrote. I've been scanning the newsposts backwards, but I haven't come across it, and I'm worried I missed the post.

Thanks in advance.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
MayGodHaveMercy on

• Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Name of the Wind?

Talka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fantastic.

Thank you kindly.

EDIT: Turns out Gabe mentioned it. And I wasn't scrolling down far enough to see his posts. :oops:

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Great book, I read it after it was mentioned here and loved it.

Talka on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, he posted here for a while, and then there was a bit of a thing in writer's block.

Fantastic book, and if you read it now, you won't have to do the two-three year wait I done for the sequel.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Yeah, he posted here for a while, and then there was a bit of a thing in writer's block.

Fantastic book, and if you read it now, you won't have to do the two-three year wait I done for the sequel.

Yeah, I'm literally leaving right now to go buy it. Though I need to finish Fool Moon first. But that's like 100 more pages, so... I'll be in Rothfuss land tonight. Thanks again.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was hoping this would be His Majesty's Dragon, which I'm currently enjoying.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished the Rothfuss book myself (bought it after reading about it on the main page here too!), and it is amazing. The second one won't be out for another 10 months, though.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoyed that book to an extent. However, did anyone else feel this way?
    Spoilered:
    I enjoyed the lore, sympathy, and the side characters. But, I could not stand the main character. Qwothe was practically superman and only 13 to boot. There wasn't anything he really failed at doing. It just got on my nerves that whenever he was in a bit of trouble, Qwothe suddenly goes, oh and I can do X because I was a trooper or do Y because I'm so good at everything.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I knew the name of that book sounded familiar... this was a pretty funny story.

admanb on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    Spoilered:
    I enjoyed the lore, sympathy, and the side characters. But, I could not stand the main character. Qwothe was practically superman and only 13 to boot. There wasn't anything he really failed at doing. It just got on my nerves that whenever he was in a bit of trouble, Qwothe suddenly goes, oh and I can do X because I was a trooper or do Y because I'm so good at everything.
    Kvothe was (1) narrating his own story and (2) far from perfect. He failed at tons of stuff. Just off the top of my head: getting the girl, keeping his temper in check when dealing with that stupid rich kid, getting Elohin or whatever to give him the time of day, he got banned from the library, etc...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoilered:
    I thought that because of this, his condition in the Inn in the future was that much more engaging. Here is this guy who will obviously become some sort of super hero totally hobbled and unable to do much besides tell stories. What happened? How did this come to pass? Who is his demon friend? So many questions. The early years part of a 13 year old kid being a badass was all the more believable because of how cool he was to become. He also wasn't always super man. Several times he gets his ass beat or gets put low by people with money or guards or whatever. /shrug

I too was totally bummed when I reached the end and realized I had to wait for the next book. It is like harry potter all over again. Only this one is better.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoilered:
    Kvothe was (1) narrating his own story and (2) far from perfect. He failed at tons of stuff. Just off the top of my head: getting the girl, keeping his temper in check when dealing with that stupid rich kid, getting Elohin or whatever to give him the time of day, he got banned from the library, etc...
    Also remember his demon buddy said at least once something like "I don't remember it that way"

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I was hoping this would be His Majesty's Dragon, which I'm currently enjoying.

I read all 5 of those last year and have been waiting eagerly for the final book to come out. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a series as much as these.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Spoilered:
    Also remember his demon buddy said at least once something like "I don't remember it that way"
    I suppose, just the way I read it was more that it wasn't so much that he failed, but that he failed because of other characters flaws or actions. I was kind of rolling my eyes when he takes down the dragon on his own, or how he wins the dual despite having a 1000x weaker binding, or winning his pipes playing on admittedly inferior lute with a broken (sabotaged) string. I guess I just didn't connect to him on my read through and got tired of his super hero antics. Must say, I loved the demon though, but forgot about that quote.

Thanks for your guys' insights.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Spoilered:
    I suppose, just the way I read it was more that it wasn't so much that he failed, but that he failed because of other characters flaws or actions. I was kind of rolling my eyes when he takes down the dragon on his own, or how he wins the dual despite having a 1000x weaker binding, or winning his pipes playing on admittedly inferior lute with a broken (sabotaged) string. I guess I just didn't connect to him on my read through and got tired of his super hero antics. Must say, I loved the demon though, but forgot about that quote.

Thanks for your guys' insights.
    Yeah, just remember that he is telling his own story. Everyone tends to make themselves sound a little better. At least most of his abilities come explained, for example, winning the pipes: He spent a lot of time playing and playing and playing. Of course he is able to make an inferior lute sound better than other people could. He is meant to be pretty spectacular, and that's the way he is portraying himself.

Anyway, a huge recommendation for this book. I just finished it recently, worth it.

Kyanilis on