As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking about getting my car painted - Retro style

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC. Not sure if this is particularly suited for here, but I'll give it a go.

I drive this:

chevy_ssr_yellow.jpg

A yellow chevy SSR. It's a fun car, I really enjoy it.

However, I've had it going on five years now, and I've started to bounce around ideas of painting the thing. I am somewhat fortunate in that my fiance's uncle paints cars for a living. He's actually painted stuff for some high-profile dudes like Bill Murray, and he does some pretty great work. I talked to him about it and he's willing to paint the thing for me for the 'family rate', which is basically an almost negligible cost. He told me to work up some ideas.

I've always been a big fan of old, retro cars, which is partly why I own the SSR in the first place - it's got the same sort of styling to it. With that in mind, I've been considering something along the lines of a dual-toned red/white design that would be evocative of the old Chevy Bel Airs.

1957-chevy-bel-air-chevrolet-archives.jpg

I've been banging ideas together in something of a rough fashion, and I figured I'd come here for help and ideas. This is approximately what I'm considering:

ssr_retro.jpg

I banged a quick photoshop together, since I don't think I was getting much out of the illustration I made above.

ssrconcept.jpg

At this point, I think I'm looking for feedback and ideas on the general design. The dip along the side that follows the rear wheel well back up kind've evokes the look of the fins on the back of the old Chevy designs. The photoshopped version has the top down, which I think looks substantially better - I'm not sure if having that much white up on the top of the car, when the top is up, is overwhelming or not.

Ein on

• slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So let me get this straight:

1. You drive a Chevy
    2. You want a "Retro" paint job.
    and
    3. Frank Frazetta just ascended to Valhalla.

Well dude, let me tell you what: you need to do a freakin' 1970s badass tribute job on that bad boy!
    I'm talkin' vampire chicks, dinosaur hunters, dudes with huge axes lookin' waaay ominous on horseback, and just general epitomization

Do it up right and you may wind up as lucky as this cat here:
    1970s-custom-van-couple.jpg

I mean, look at that stud. Even with feathered hair, short shorts, and awful shoes he's got that honey looking up at his smug face with a look of total freakin' rapture. And why shouldn't he look smug? Check out his ride!

You, sir, are on the precipice of such awesomeness. Dare you dive in?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the design, overall, but the dip shouldn't be that deep imo, have it hit halfway up from where it meets the corner now. I think that looks better. Also, supercharger plz :P

1ddqd on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    How are you planning on doing the chrome? Just clever pinstriping?

DMAC on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Then it would go into the door handle though...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited May 2010
    If it's just a color line, then there's no issue; it could go over the door handle and then arc down, still keeping a similar curve to the original. If it's actual chrome trim, I'll laugh

1ddqd on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    slacktron wrote: »
    You, sir, are on the precipice of such awesomeness. Dare you dive in?

I think I may be looking for a bit more of a 'classier' take on the word retro.

Not that I can't appreciate the inherent appeal of covering my primary means of conveyance with dire levels of tits and axes.
    DMAC wrote: »
    How are you planning on doing the chrome? Just clever pinstriping?

Pretty much my thought, yeah. Her uncle's a wizard with painting that sort of effect, and getting some sort of actual chrome trim would be a considerable challenge.

This is pretty much the same thing, but with the line moved up a bit and going through the handle. I was trying to avoid the handle at the outset of this, but I don't suppose it looks too bad with the line going through it.

ssr_outline2.png

Ein on
    edited May 2010
    Move the line up even more; make it basically straight, then turn right after the handle

1ddqd on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the idea of chroming the front grill and the custom exhaust.

Unfortunately, the most common scheme for the '49 chevy pickup was a single color and lots of chrome. Doesn't give me much in the way of ideas for a dual colored paint scheme.

How bout tits and axes on the bed cover?

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2010
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Move the line up even more; make it basically straight, then turn right after the handle

ssr_outline3.png

The problem I'm having with that is that I'm trying to keep the line high enough to pass over the handle, as you're suggesting, but still keep it off the white panel directly above and to the right of where the handle is, because that part moves when the top goes up and down, and having the pinstripe cross the line like that will look awkward. It doesn't leave me with much room to work with.

Ein on
    edited May 2010
    I did also just stumble on this, which is pretty neat, but I think I like the original idea a little more.
    Chevrolet-SSR.jpg

Ein on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you want to do it on the cheap and you have lots of time you can do the whole thing like this:

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=5199

Done with $40 of spray paint and a lot of wet sanding.
    RIMG0099751720061019184154.JPG

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Doesn't the paint need to be like... baked on? Something spray paint can't do?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Doesn't the paint need to be like... baked on? Something spray paint can't do?

I don't know much about painting cars but I doubt you need to heat it to get it to stay. They might do some sort of heating process on a car assembly line to speed up the drying of the paint?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Um I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to spray paint it himself seeing as though he stated he has a professional hookup. Plus the results contianed in that thread are not really that good.

That being said, these mock ups are kinda boring and lack that special something I usually expect from a custom paintjob. That last mock up with the white in the back looks terrible though. Please do not do that.

earthwormadam on