As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beginner looking for a Digital Piano/Synth

NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap.Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For about 5 years now I have been wanting to learn/play the piano. I've always held off because I was in school, then I was a broke freelancer. But over the past few months I have specifically been saving up money for this.

I know there are some musicians here on the boards and I would like your opinions on Digital pianos and/or Synths.

The type of music I plan to play mostly is probably pop. Things like Ben Folds, Matt & Kim, Regina Spektor, etc. (though i enjoy classical music also, and will probably learn a couple classical songs)

I am budgeting around $300-400 for this, though if there is a certain brand/model everyone seems to agree upon, I am willing to go a little higher, but no further than $600, because that will literally break my bank.

I am also going to take classes, in case you are wondering.

So, in that price range, for a beginner, what keyboard do you guys suggest I get?

Should I worry about 88-keys or is that a probably best to wait until i am a more developed player?

Does a really good Digital piano with high quality Grand samples tend to be more useful than crazy Synths with thousands of variations?

rotate.jpg
PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
Nogs on

• Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would definitely get an 88-key piano. Make sure it has weighted keys and has a sustain pedal. Everything else is just icing :)

SideAffects on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you want a piano to play music on or do you want something to make music with? I ask because there is a significant difference. I wanted something to learn to play the piano, but also that I could make music with. I honestly didn't think you could find an 88 key system in your price range, but I was wrong. That has 88 weighted keys, and built in speakers. Its also easily within your price range.

However if you want a real synth or a workstation you're going to have to pony up a lot more money. Keep in mind that the majority of synths do not have speakers built in. Those that do are usually bigger workstations and can run in the thousands of dollars. For my first synth I chose a Korg X50. Basically a Korg Triton minus the sequencer. Great little synth for $500 though. Spent $120 on some M-Audio monitors from Tiger Direct and I've been jamming ever since.

edit: Also I don't think you need 88 keys to learn on, but I could be totally off base on that. I am almost entirely self taught and I'm sure I've picked up loads of bad habits. I still don't have any sort of piano or synth that has more than 61 keys and I've never needed more than that, but maybe that's just because I've never had those extra keys available. Since you are taking classes you might want some professional advice.

Shogun on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You definitely want 88 full-sized keys. Without question. I hate playing on non-full-sized keyboards, because I extremely often want to hit notes outside the range of the keyboard and oh wait they're not there. Which either means I have to change what I'm playing or if I'm doing something that is mentally demanding enough that that slips my mind, just hit the side of the keyboard with my fingers.

Really, though, as was said... 88 full-sized, weighted keys and a sustain pedal are enough to get started.

Khavall on