As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] A Point of Light - Act IV: The New World

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heehee Susan could pick 4 revenant characters and then have Messat, the crazy guy, be their gofer

Farangu on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Or we could have a six man party. With two leaders. Cause two leaders is awesome sauce.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wanted a revenant paladin something fierce, but I don't have the sourcebook with revenants...

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Revenants don't have a source book, they are DDI material. If you download the trial version of the character builder, it should have the basics on them in it.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    CalousCalous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronrab wrote: »
    I wanted a revenant paladin something fierce, but I don't have the sourcebook with revenants...

It is in Dragon issue 376.

Calous on
    ...yawn
    DnD 4E Player Tent V0.2
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Character done. RP wise, he's like the Malkivain you played in VTM:B game or a nicer version of Gollum from Lord of the Rings. That kind of crazy.

Viginti Septem, Shadar-kai Avenger!

Background:
    Viginti Septem is a broken soul of a man. Many townfolk call him "Crazy" or "Batbrain" Viginti. However, there are a few who know his story and fewer who can say that they are in debt to him. Viginti's life of horror started at an early age. When he was 9, a zombie raid killed his family and the whole town. The next night, the townspeople came back, looking for the last flesh in the town. At age 16, Viginti joined a group of vampire slayers. Many of the slayers worship Melora and Viginti accepted a place in the slayers as an Avenger. This lasted only a few months as the Slayers took on a Vampire a few hundred years more powerful than the combine power of the group. Viginti was captured alive and used as a "juicer". The Vampire said his blood was wild and the sweetest he had tasted in many years. After a year of being drained twice a week, Viginti was able to kill the Vampire as he slept. However, he didn't escape for long. The vampire was Ladroc's most loyal generals and Ladroc send every zombie, demon, and monster the mind could and couldn't imagine. Viginti was captured and became a part of Ladroc's 'Experimentation'. He spent 3 years in darkness and pain. There was no ease to the suffering. However, as his sanity cracked, Viginti had a plan. With a few other people that were apart of the 'Experimentation' Viginti was able to escape with 3 other people. After that, Viginti never stayed at one place for long. He traveled through the woods and stayed off of highways when he could. After a few months of traveling, Viginti found a small group of warrior. They couldn't stand the suffering and darkness that had engulfed their homes. They wouldn't sit and watch their families become feast to monsters of nightmares. Viginti thought they were crazy, but if he could kill more vampires, why not join them?

Personality:
    Viginti speaks in third person, sometimes it even seems as though he is talking to someone else. His words are as twisted and confusing as he seems to talk in riddles. However, Viginti is kind and is naturally accepted more by children. Some say that it's because that Viginti's mind isn't insanity but is more like that of a child. Viginti say that twisted roses grow on twisted fences.

Picture:
    sarshan.jpg

Not a lot of Shadar-kai pictures out there.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maleonde Ebonstalker, Elf Avenger of The Raven Queen

Elevator Pitch! Maleonde is, if such a creature were to exist in the DnD multiverse, the Grim Reaper. He has been sent by The Raven Queen to return the souls and creatures that the Lich is using for his conquest to their rightful resting places, wherever it might be. He will stop at nothing once he has singled out his target to be returned to the one he calls Queen.

In-depth Background
    Maleonde Ebonstalker has always been different from the rest of his kin. All Elves revere life and nature, and nearly all of them show this by nurturing and protecting the various plants and animals found in whatever forest the elves happen to live in. Maleonde, however, shows reverence not by nurturing a tree or feeding a squirrel, but instead by eradicating the abominations that spring up from time to time and bring death and destruction to whatever is in it's path.

Ebonstalker was always of the opinion that if someone does not begin returning the undead creatures to their resting places, there will never be an end to the darkness that has enshrouded life these last few centuries. By Maleonde's reasoning, one does not cure a disease by feeding it and letting it grow; instead, one must find the cause and remove it without mercy lest it infect all that is still good.

As a result of his beliefs, the elf has been shunted and ignored by the rest of his kin. He does not blame them, for they cannot hear his Queen's call. She has directed Maleonde to begin returning the undead creatures to their final resting places and to send their souls to her so that she may pass final judgment on them.

Some have said that the night grows darkest before the light of day shines over the horizon. Maleonde Ebonstalker dons pitch black robes as he considers himself the final darkness that shall cover the world before the sun can shine unopposed once more.

Picture
    Grim_Reaper_by_restmlin.jpg

"I shall not rest until every risen abomination is returned to it's rightful place: where my Queen decides!" - Maleonde's final words to the elves of his small village as he left to begin his quest.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here is Gad Kafni, Genasi Swordmage

Personality Traits:
    He's sick of it. All of it. These undead took his teacher from him, leaving his training unfinished. He knew enough to help others defend themselves, so he did just that. Then the undead took his students from him. That was the last straw. Instead of using his skill to train others to fight off the rampaging hordes of undeath, he would do it himself. Nobody else would. Ioun had made it clear to him that he was supposed to do something about it, and he intended to do just that.

Mannerisms and appearance:

Gad is of average height and build, has a dark gray, almost black, skin, with light purple leylines running up and down his arms, chest and face. His head is bare, minus a small patch on the top that seems to be the source of his leylines. His impatience has gained him nothing but scars, while his skills and intelligence have prevented those scars from being much worse. Most of his days have been spent alone, but he is no stranger to fighting alongside other survivors, using his wits and magic to seemingly prevent harm to them, all the while weaving violence from bloated corpse to incorporeal wraith with the smooth grace only a seasoned veteran could possess.

Portrait:
    AshlingTheExtinguisher_mini.jpg

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, well, it's Invoker Time!

Before you stands Unammora, Deva Invoker of Pelor. She's a very nice lady who genuinely cares about people and loves blasting undead.

Background and Picture:
    Una incarnated in a battlefield, the light of the sun shining on her face. Dead bodies surrounded her. She instantly knew that her previous incarnation had killed them all in a moment of rage. She had surrendered to anger and hopelessness and the gods had punished her by denying her enlightenment. Pelor pitied her and raised her with the understanding that, unless she worked to bring light to this dark and barren world, she would never overcome her previous failing. She kneeled and accepted her lord and master and dedicated her life to bringing life and hope to the desperate world. She is currently wandering as a humble, kind traveler looking to find people to help her bring light to the people.

excerpt_ph2_2.jpg

daniant on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My kingdom for a picture of a kobold wielding just a longsword. The Internet can only handle kobolds with spears and staves, apparently.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I feel you, Dres. I couldn't for the life of me find a black-skinned Genasi on the web, and I am way too lazy to install NWN2 and make a char to get a portrait, so I stole art from a Magic card. (which isn't altogether bad, really, as there is some fantastic art to be stolen!)

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes I wish there were more artists on here and we could PayPal them $10 a picture.

daniant on
  • Options
    AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Curse you, daniant! I was mere seconds away from posting MY Invoker of Pelor. But I didn't want to steal your thunder, so I... adjusted.

Fear the thunderous wrath of Balatan Quinn, Dragonborn Cleric of Pelor!

Background:
    "Balatan hated undead just as much as the next cleric. He didn't have any specific reason too, other than the whole "they're everywhere and they're super-mean" thing. He was just another cleric-in-hiding, hoofing it from town to town (The Power and the Glory style), healing the sick, giving as much hope as he could, you know? But then I decided to kick him up a notch. After completely failing to save a family from the cruel attentions of a ravening horde of zombies, I appeared to him in a vision, you know, like we Gods do. I gave him some sweet gear and told him to stop running away from the enemy. 'Cause, I mean, how are you supposed to bring the light back into the world if you let yourself get pushed around by evil? Then he got on his knees, plead for forgiveness... typical mortal. Put a little too much of the "fear of me" thing into it I suppose. But I was like, hey, it's cool man, just go nuts on some zombies and we'll call it good. Then I hung up before he could get all melodramatic on me. But he's awesome, no doubt. Now that he's got a rad hammer, he's rockin' the whole "zealous crusader" thing. So yeah, I recommend him." -Pelor, God of Light and Summer

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry. That happened to me too. I was going to post my Avenger, and then...poof!...5 Avengers have already posted. :P

daniant on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Controllers for the win!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Haha, no worries. My original idea was a revenant rogue... but then I saw there were 2 rogues AND two revenants. T_T

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I was coming up with my Avenger concept, there weren't even any Divine origin characters. I thought I was going to slide into an overlooked niche!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And now to add to the army of undead characters I present Korogan-The Revenant Paladin
    Background:
    Korogan was a general of the at the fateful battle that would start the reign of the the tyrant Ladroc. With the help of four other generals he quickly tore through the hordes of undead zombies until they reached Ladroc himself. They waged a fierce battle but they began to suspect that something was amiss. After defeating the necromancer he began laughing.

"You think you've won. All you have won is endless torment as you suffer as my slaves. Guys... Why don't you welcome our guests" he cackled.

As Ladroc spoke an endless stream of their fallen allies met the five generals. They fought valiantly but they eventually succumbed to the overwhelming numbers. As Ladroc promised the generals were turned into Ladroc's undead minions. Ladroc's soul wandered an endless plane of darkness for many years. Eventually, Ladroc was surprised to find a lady standing in the void.

"Are you going to give up so easily," the lady said.

"Well what do you want me to do? My body is now property of the ruler of world. I don't think he's going to let me take it back any time soon " he scoffed.

She smiled and said,"There some things even he can't stop. If you truly want to save the world from those that cheat death and force their will upon fate. In your case death is merely a delay to accomplish your goals."

Korogan then woke up. At first he believed the events that transpired were nothing more than a bad dream until he looked in a mirror. From there he could see that he was undead exactly like the army he fought long ago. He realized then that he was afforded a second chance to stop the evil in the world. Unfortunately, he did not know if there were others willing to fight but he decided that the worst was all ready been done and that being turned into a zombie is probably the lowest he could go.
    Personality:
    Remarkably Korogan still acts like a paladin. His sense of honor and virtue has not left him despite being turned into a zombie. He still is willing to risk his life or whatever you call it now to save the life of a little girl. This is primarily due to the fact that the void had the ability to warp time. The only change in personality is that he is far more serious now that he has seen what the world has become under Lordac's rule.
    Picture
    Insert Picture Here. I can't draw

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarak, Half Orc Stone Fist Drunk...I mean Monk! Monk!

Picture:
    HalfOrcMonk.jpg

Background:
    Taken in by an order of Erathian monks, who take all who come to them regardless of birth, Sarak was raised in the relative quiet of their abbey. As the monks treat and care for the populace of the city, they were exempt from choice by it's leaders when bloodtithes (I made this up, but it sounds cool and suitably vampiresque) were to be taken by Ladroc's overlords.

While he excelled in the martial disciplines taught by the monks, Sarak was more like to be found passed out in an alley or breaking into houses of the rich than more typical monkly pursuits. Eventually his refusal to look at the consequences of his actions and the order's fear that they would lose their exemption led to his expulsion from order. Given the likelyhood of being selected by the township as a future bloodtithe due to his reputation, he collected his stash of money and possessions and robbed some of the wealthier houses in the city for good measure before leaving to make his own way.

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Sarak, level 2
    Half-Orc, Monk
    Monastic Tradition: Stone Fist
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
    Background: Saved from the Noose (+2 to Thievery)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 18 Will: 14
    HP: 27 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +8, Stealth +11, Acrobatics +11, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +1, Streetwise, Thievery +8

FEATS
    Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
    Level 2: Unarmored Agility
    Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
    Monk at-will 1: Crane's Wings
    Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
    Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
    Monk daily 1: Harmonious Thunder
    Monk utility 2: Supreme Flurry

ITEMS
    Monk Unarmed Strike, Adventurer's Kit, Ki Focus, Amulet of Protection +1, Repulsion Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Ki Quarterstaff +1, Thieves' Tools, Footpads, Climber's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Kelor on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eurok Tammakot, Goliath Warden

Background:
    Eurok is...was the Chief of the Strongback Tribe. They were a proud tribe of Goliath's who had lived off the unforgiving mountains for generations. Eurok was the mightiest warrior among his people, and had risen quickly to become their leader.

The undeath of the civilized world rarely touched them in the mountains; a band of marauding zombies every now and then, but always easily dispatched. Eurok was understandably confident leaving his brother Durom in charge of the tribe while Eurok tended to trade business with another tribe close by. On his return Eurok found the entire village overrun by the undead. In his fury he destroyed every last one of the abominations, including his own people who had turned. He found his brother Durom in the center of the village, apparently awaiting Euroks return. Durom was cold, unmoving, and his eyes held no life. Durom opened his mouth to speak but an unfamiliar voice emanated from his mouth. "You have been arrogant to defy my influence for so long, savage. You, too shall feel the icy grip of undeath!"

Suddenly Durom charged Eurok. Eurok was able to avoid the brunt of the attack, but felt his brother's maul crash into his shoulder. It was bitterly cold, unnatural. Eurok struck his brother down, and took the icy maul.

The lich's undeath had claimed too much from Eurok. He left the mountains and headed for civilization to find the like-minded. The lich's reign would end, and Eurok would crush it.

Picture:
    wizardsjobs4.jpg

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    When I was coming up with my Avenger concept, there weren't even any Divine origin characters. I thought I was going to slide into an overlooked niche!

and thats what the Undead guy thought :wink:

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

and thats what the Undead guy thought :wink:
    And thats when you go for Divine undead.
    EDIT:
    And thats when you realize that even that isn't overlooked.
    ...*sigh*... This won't be pretty...
    Because you will pick all undead characters right.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    KeldonusKeldonus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eth Kora, Elven Avenger

Background
    Eth grew up in the rural Elven artisan community of Greenhome, and planned to eventually become a woodworker, as the men in his family had for generations. When he was young, a hunting party of Vampires descended on the town one night, and laid waste. In the commotion, Eth was pinned under an overturned bookcase, causing him to go unseen by the ravenous undead, while his whole family and much of the other townspeople were killed.
    With his home ruined and family killed, he saw no future in his ancestral home, and set out to the nearest large city, with the hopes of eking out a living somehow. He wound up one of the many orphaned urchins on the street, begging, stealing, and conning to try to keep food in his mouth and a roof over his head. Traumatized by the deaths of his parents and nine brothers and sisters, he sought revenge against the undead and their mortal allies and collaborators. As his knowledge of the town and its underbelly grew, he became bolder and bolder, attempting bolder and bolder crimes against the undead elites and their allies. One day, he went too far while trying to rob the home of a particular noble, and found himself in a perilous chase by the town guards. Finding himself stuck in dead-end alley with the guards approaching, he prayed to Melora for salvation.
    Robed figures reached out through a hidden door and whisked him into an underground monastery. Hidden beneath unassuming homes, this monastery contained monks of various races, many of whom were themselves orphaned by the undead. They ran an order training Avengers, with the hope that one of them may spark the fire that purges out the undead that threaten all life.
    After a few years of training, Eth emerged a new man. He knew what needed to be done. Blood must be spilled to avenge his family and all others who have died and suffered under Ladroc's reign.

my thoughts and background
    I'm new to D&D, but have ~15 years of experience with other pen and paper RP games (largely Rifts/other Palladium settings, a touch of Earthdawn). I recently listened to the Penny Arcade D&D podcast, loved it, and picked up the core books, and have been looking for a game to get into. This one sounds great. I love killing the undead (but, who doesn't?). I've poked around a bit, rolling up a party and running them against some of the Keep on the Shadowfell encounters to get a grasp of the rules, and I feel confident that I'm at least competent.

With this character, I was envisioning a brash, hot-headed warrior that would use his superior mobility to maneuver around the battlefield, setting up flanking positions or charging ranged enemies.

Keldonus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I debated making my Monk a Revenant just for kicks with everyone else doing it, but I don't know how warm a reception an entire party of walking dead would get in this sort of place. If you had a vampire heritage guy you could probably bluff your way through a lot stuff.

I think I speak for all of us though Susan, when I ask if the vampires in this world sparkle.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    One thing, keldonus, is that a 19-year-old Elf is the equivalent of a 6 year-old human, give or take.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

I debated making my Monk a Revenant just for kicks with everyone else doing it, but I don't know how warm a reception an entire party of walking dead would get in this sort of place. If you had a vampire heritage guy you could probably bluff your way through a lot stuff.
    Yeah but I figured that slaughtering the bad undead and vampires would get us a warm welcome even if our flesh is falling off.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

Yeah but I figured that slaughtering the bad undead and vampires would get us a warm welcome even if our flesh is falling off.

The important part is that you remember to bring cookies. And not the shitty Safeway brand either. They have to be home-made.

Brody on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    What about Mrs Fields cookies? She does great cookies.

Oh! And brownies! Delicious brownies!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Undead cookies...delicious.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The backstory to this campaign is instantly hilarious if you imagine Ladroc conquering the civilized world with a horde of mindless, shambling cookies.

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    life = complete. Thank you.

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This looks _awesome_, and not just because I am on a zombie kick.

Alum, Shardmind Psion
    Background and character roadmap:

Alum is an amalgamation of the mental suffering of the people in the world. His existence was forged from human thoughts of hope and anger by Ioun, as a favor to the Raven Queen, who is attempting to seize an opportunity to use Alum to help several other heroes vanquish the abominable living dead and restore their souls to her dominion.

Alum, for "his" part, is not in thrall to anyone but himself. He is driven by partial memories of a hundred thousand shattered lives and an undying need to rid the world of its undead shackles. He is simultaneously intimately familiar with the world and its peoples and also naive as a newborn. His intellect is a fortress, but the pressure of carrying so many despairing memories will threaten his sanity, eventually.

His goal is clear: to be a champion of the people under the oppression of the vampire lords. He has, quite naturally, a inborn hatred of the undead - there will be significant tension with revenant party members on a visceral level, but he is certainly intelligent enough to know the difference.

It's 3:30. Maybe I will edit this to make more sense in the morning, if it is confusing! Night!

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Alum
    Please don't think I am insane but your name reminds me of pickles. Also, I updated my character ever so slightly.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haha, knew I should have gone controller... striker list just exploded

Phyphor on
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Alum
    Please don't think I am insane but your name reminds me of pickles. Also, I updated my character ever so slightly.

Not insane, just alternatively-minded.

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Alum

Not insane, just alternatively-minded.
    Alum is a component to crisp pickles.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Haha, knew I should have gone controller... striker list just exploded

eh I'm still gonna go striker, just because thats the idea I have in mind and I can't seem to come up with another one that I'm fond of :(

Egos on