As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E] A Point of Light - Act IV: The New World

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarak arrived at the hamlet a few weeks ago after lighting out of a larger town a weeks travel away. He left the monastery almost six years ago now, playing the congenial monk by day, visiting the town's leaders and rich discussing their town, then visiting them again the following night with a sack instead of an invitation.

Rumours of undead in the area made him decide to hole up at this village. Travellers are free from selection as bloodtithes, but it's not unusual for them to disappear on the road if they happen to encounter a particularly thirsty vampire prince or a ghoul legion.

Looking forward to working with you sirs! Being a monk of Erathis (in name if nothing else) Sarak approves of all this multiculturalism.

Kelor on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking forward to the game. I just hope that monsters will run away from me so my Censure of Pursuit triggers!

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A Point of Light

The Dread Necromancer Ladroc turned himself into a Lich by his 25th Birthday. By his 30th he was marching an army of undead across the land, slaughtering cities and counties and using the thousands of corpses to swell his ranks of thralls.

All the nations of the world fought him. They sent their armies, they sent their heroes, they sent their Generals, they sent their Royalty. Humans and Demihumans, the Fey Races and the Savage Races, Dragons and Goblinoids, every sane person across the globe stood shoulder to shoulder to fight and contain this menace. And fight they did. Bravely. Valiantly. Intelligently. Tirelessly. An army a million strong, larger than any the world had ever seen before, charged as one to meet the Necromancer's horde knowing that they were the last line of defense against it.

They lost.

That was some centuries ago. Perhaps some exceptionally old Fey can still remember a time when Ladroc was not the unquestioned tyrant of the world, free to do what he wishes to whomever he wishes to do it, but you doubt anyone could survive the hundreds of years of Hell while still staying sane. For you, the world is what it always has been: A big dark place full of Zombies and Vampires and Monsters who can and will rip you apart for breakfast if they have the slightest inkling to. Trade and travel are rare at best, non-existent in most towns. Humans and other mortals live together in either small hidden enclaves or in larger towns and cities, allowed to exist by the governing Vampire Courts so that they can exact a tribute of flesh and blood from these cities on a regular schedule.

While dissent is rampant, rebellion isn't even considered. None of the masters care if a human kills a zombie, or even a thousand zombies; mindless beasts and abominations run wild, and town militias work day and night to fend off rampant incursions of these creatures. But if a human attacks or, Gods forbid, wounds a Vampire or one of the ruling class, a whole town might die a slow and bloody death. If a man refuses a request of one of his rulers, he and his family are to be summarily executed and their property seized. If a city refuses to pay their blood tribute, at best the Vampires will kill ten times the demanded number before taking their living tribute anyway. At worst, the town is demolished and the survivors sent to Ladroc for 'Experimentation'. No living person knows what this involves, but your nightmares still try and give you some ideas on occasion.

But even in this madness there is a small piece of hope, a single point of light in the dark. That light is you. Your background has shaped you, and your past has forged you, and on this day you are refusing to allow yourself to slip into the night without putting up a fight first. Today, you will find companions and allies who will help you fight this menace. Today, you will hear the start of the plan that will take you from a remote and terrified village all the way to the towering walls of the City of Death. And if the Gods smile upon you, one day soon, you may be able to watch the sun rise over a world where skeletons stay buried in the ground and politicians just steal your money and not your organs and your children. The power is yours to change the world...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The village is quiet today, with most everyone working inside preparing food or repairing tools and the fieldworkers yet to return. What brought you to this village isn't important, and could be one of a hundred reasons; what matters is that you are here today, in a sleepy little farming hamlet of a few hundred people, quietly tucked away off the beaten path and lumped together for some semblance of security. The natives of this village are a good, hardworking people, the kind you run into infinite copies of in markets and taverns and roadhouses and never give a second thought, but these folks have kind enough to let you stay here without asking too many questions. The only thing they ask of you is the only thing they themselves are not equipped and ready to do: Fight off any wandering packs of Undead that stumble upon their village.

The six of you have been here anywhere between a few nights now to a few months, with the local Messat acting as your less-than-official town guide; you all came separately and needed a place to stay and rest, and the offer of the village was more than fair. It's an offer that has been needed, too, as about once a week there has been a sighting of some zombie or skeleton; usually just one attracted to the firelights, though once or twice you've had to fight off a few of them. The people have been appreciative, too, and have tried to make you comfortable and welcome, but you can't shake this feeling that it's almost time for you to leave this place and find another that will help you continue your journey.

You're eating in the closest thing the village has to a town hall; it's an old barn fallen slightly into disrepair but that still has a sound roof over it and can fit most of the population between its doors. Long tables are arranged with crude but comfortable benches, and it is here that you sit eating an early supper of bread with beans and eggs. There's a few other people here too sitting around the tables; mostly just farmers and workers getting a nice communal meal, but there's also Warren Brightcastle, a silver-haired Half-Elf who serves as the town's unofficial and defacto mayor, Esmerelda Brightcastle, his wife, Myron Stone, the best and only Blacksmith you know of around these parts, and an ancient stick of a man you've seen around but never spoken to that everyone refers to as 'The Grandfather'. The Grandfather is sitting alone near the back door silently chewing a tough bit of crust, but the Brightcastles and Myron Stone are having a not too subtle argument near the opposite far end. You're sitting somewhere in between, a bit too far to make out what they're saying, but close enough to see Myron growing red and the Brightcastles growing green...

---

Let the Game Begin. This will serve as our OOC and IC thread; if you're posting something OOC, try to make the text gray or use some other indicator of what you're doing. I'm a fan of doing attack actions in Red and movement and other actions in Orange, but use whatever works for you. You can update your character sheets until we're in our first combat, and feel free to ask questions.

I've forwarded the Map link to those who have requested it so far; I'll try to get tokens on here for everyone shortly if you don't already have one. For review, here it is, though it won't be absolutely needed for the next few days:
    pub?id=1grLt7YCvAP63OaE2yOxnDjlnx9MeU2NjTKpbiATcGVU&w=1646&h=1664

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So...are we eating outside? Or is the map of our first encounter that we haven't gotten to yet?

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Ignore the map for now; I just posted it there so y'all could see your edits to it in real-time if you wanted to play around with it. You are currently inside, though the barn is rather drafty.

susan on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Asteron finished his soup, being careful to slurp it loudly as he had always done to indicate well made Dwarven food. He snorted a bit, leaning back to look around. As the arguing gets louder, he swiftly stands up from his kneeling position on the floor, heading towards the end of the table.

"Brothers, brothers, calm down. I'm sure whatever problem is occurring can be worked out more peacefully than this."

Joeslop on
    edited May 2010
    Warren holds up a hand as the Minotaur approaches, silencing the conversation. They've been around you enough by this point that they no longer look a bit uneasy in your presence... meaning that their current uneasy appearance must be attributable to a different cause. Warren smiles, looking a little tired, saying, "Asteron, there's really no trouble here, and I promise you would be the first person I'd tell if there was." Myron angrily snorts at this, while Esmerelda looks down at her hands to avoid your eyes. "It's just... a few of our field men were expected back by now is all. There's a lot of reasons they might be running late, and no reason not a one of them couldn't have run back here if there was something out there troubling them. I'm sure they'll be back before supper's cold."

Anyone with a Passive Insight over 15, or anyone who rolls above a 15, gets the following info:
    Warren's definitely hiding something from you. While the main bit of the story rings true, you can tell he is genuinely worried about the safety of whoever's out there, and you think they might have been doing something other than farming out there.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    Asteron kneels down again, showing deference to the leaders of the town but not quite willing to let things go just yet.

"It may be true that there are plenty of reasons for them not to be back yet but how many of those reasons aren't ill-fated? Perhaps, if they were assigned not far from town, a handful of us could simply go looking for a bit. I see no harm in ensuring the safety of those outside our walls."

Diplomacy: 1d20+7 10

Not the greatest first roll..

Joeslop on
    edited May 2010
    Sarak is seated fairly nearby the conversation, balancing on the back two legs of his chair to the delight of the children around him with an ear cocked to the conversation between the village leader and the minotaur.

Kelor on
    edited May 2010
    It's alright, best to get your low rolls out before swords start swinging.

Both Myron and Esmerelda give Warren pleading stares, but Warren seems to hold firm, "It's a kind offer you make, but like I said there's no reason to worry just yet, and no reason to risk you being out in the open after the sun goes down. No, we'll wait here for now for them to come home, it's for the best."

As Warren makes his case, those of you still at or near the table notice that the Grandfather has paused in his eating, and is now paying amused attention to the exchange. Esmerelda again drops her eyes and Myron clenches his meaty fists, but everyone seems to be staying pretty quiet.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    Kardak, having given up early in his stay at the village on trying to sit on the bench to eat, sits legs crossed on the edge of the table. As Warren explains the situation to the Minotaur, Kardak pipes up from the far end of the table, something that most of the people have heard for the first time.

"It seems to me that with undead waltzing about unharried is a perfect reason to worry about your people not being back yet. I agree with the Scion of Melora; let a few of us venture out and ensure nothing ill has befallen the farmers. If they are fine, then we have gotten a little exercise and this will quickly be forgotten. If they aren't...well, my blade will do the talking from there on out to whomsoever has unduly delayed your men. "

Diplomacy: 1d20+1 19

Kardak's volume when speaking with people is practically yelling. He thinks that people can't hear him if he spoke in his normal volume.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aurora looks up from her meal of raw meat and uncooked vegetables and decides she should participate in the conversation. "If anyone is needed for a rescue mission, I will go. The night holds no fear for me, undead or not."

Anything that gets me out into the wilderness would be a blessing, regardless. she thought, though she did not say it.

It's pretty easy to read that thought in her tone of voice, especially if you've been around Aurora much. She's not a fan of even small settlements, and townspeople confuse her often.

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    So my ISP finally decided to restore my service this morning. Yaay

Messat sidles up to the conversation taking place. "Some of your boys are lost, are they? I shall organize an expedition! Between us six, nothing shall escape our gaze, especially if we bring Ordo here. His eyes have no equal, among animal or man!"

Messat gestures to an empty seat on the bench next to him, then chuckles. "Oh ho, well put, Ordo! If his lordship decides that the men are in no immediate danger, than myself and my merry gang will help Sarak entertain the children!"

Several of the children next to Sarak hear this. Their expressions do not show amusement.

Farangu on
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Una also draws up to the table. She quietly pats a child on the head, and then murmurs, "I would also be interested in this expedition. Perhaps something is wrong in the fields that I can take care of."

Sorry, my car broke down last night and I've been dealing with that...:(

daniant on
    edited May 2010
    Warren still looks wary, and seems about to turn you down once more, but then from the far end of the room the Grandfather shouts in a half-croak towards the mayor, "Just tell them you damned fool! You should've told them an hour ago; Gods know what's happening to those boys out there!"

Warren winces, and Esmerelda puts a hand over one of his on the table. With a long sigh, he turns to you, "He's right. And yes, you should go after them." He rubs his eyes with his thumb and forefinger, not wanting to look at you as he talks. "A couple of our men... found a cave yesterday. They were out looking for new farmground near the hill and, well, they found it. Said it didn't really look like a cave, though, looked too... clean, orderly. I told 'em to check it out today, see if... see if there was anything inside it that could be useful. I still think they're fine, but, well... if there was something in there..."

He shudders a bit, and gives you directions. The cave is about an hour away by foot, just off an ancient overgrown cart trail. Six men went there with a cart and two donkeys, and if you leave now there's a slim chance you could be back before dark...

DC 15 Insight:
    He's telling the truth, but he's trying to downplay the fact that he didn't want you to know they were looking for treasure you, as though they wanted to keep it for the village itself and not share.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    "A cave, hmm? Alor! You are the sage of us few, do you recall any knowledge of particular caves in this area?"

Messat turns to the withering sapling tended to by the children in the corner of the hall.

History check on anything interesting about the cave: 24

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Alor doesn't know anything about that cave, nor any cave in that area; for as long as he can remember it was just wilderness with no development or buildings to speak of and any caves there would just have been filled with foxes and bears.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    "Hmm. It seems that even the knowledgable Alor can shed no light on the mystery of the cave. Perhaps that is all the more reason we should head out as soon as possible?" His anticipation of the answer he wants to hear is very noticeable.

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Aurora pushes her plate away, her appetite sated for the moment. She knew the wilderness as well as anyone- She searched her memory to recall what sort of creature would keep such an orderly den in these parts...

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    For Aurora:
    It sounds like whatever's in that cave has a bit of intelligence to it; nothing wild or feral would go out of its way to modify a cave, but some with a brain (or at least with an echo of a brain) may well do just that. In this type of wilderness, in this area, you wouldn't expect any of the more powerful undead to set up shop here, so your best bet would be humans (well, humanoids) trying to hide out, or possibly a semi-sentient undead.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    Kardak does a backflip off the table, landing gracefully on his clawed feet. "A map then, to find the cave and your lost fellows? Tonight, adventure awaits!"

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Uma smiles at the kobold and says, "Indeed, my scaly acquaintance. Let us find this cave, and seek this adventure, while the sun shines on our faces."

daniant on
    edited May 2010
    Let me know when you're ready to go.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    !ready

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Casting a longing eye at the hearth, Sarak hauls himself up out of the chair and makes his way over to where the rest of the group is gathering, staff in hand.

Ready!

Kelor on
    edited May 2010
    Asteron grabs his spear from where it was respectfully resting at the entrance, nodding at the other volunteers.

!ready

Joeslop on
    edited May 2010
    Moving forward; if you want to have done things back at camp or asked any questions, you still have time to do so.

You set out, the six of you on foot marching out the wooden gates of the village to find out what became of a half dozen of its men. You make good time on your way there, being able to stick to a pretty well used path most of the way and then following in the still fresh tracks of the cart when you come to where it left the road. It is in fact this very cart that you first find after a fifteen minute march through the trees and foliage, resting crookedly in the ground and utterly and completely abandoned.

As you come closer to inspect it more, you realize that one of the wheels has been half-broken in a deep pool of thick mud and is causing the sideways list that you noticed before. The bed of the wagon still has a few small work sacks with small tools and some lunch, but it is almost completely devoid of any tools that you would expect to find, either for farming or exploration. But even with all this information, it is the harnesses up front that truly tell you something went horribly wrong here. Where there should be two donkeys, you find ripped and destroyed beams and leather strips, along with a whole lot of what look like terrified hoof markings over torn soil. Looking even closer, some of this soil and grass looks to be stained with blood. The grass in front of the wagons is flat and directional, as though some large object was dragged over it not too long ago. Following the line of progress with your eyes, you can see through the thick tree coverage what must be the entrance of the cave, not 50 yards away...

susan on
    edited May 2010
    In the wise words of Binwin Bronzebottom....perrrrceptiiiion.

Not so hot a roll though. Perception = 9.

Kelor on
    edited May 2010
    Kardak drew his longsword and took a moment to examine his surroundings. "Something violent and...messy took place here. We should make haste into the cave."

Perception: 1d20+11 20

Do you guys want to try to Stealth into ze cave?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Aurora draws her maul and nods her head thoughtfully. "Interesting...They took the beasts of burden, but left the men's lunches. Whatever lives here wants live meat."

Perception roll around the cave: 1d20+11 20. Also, we can assume Aurora told everyone about the humanoids/semi-sentient undead creatures that are likely inhabiting the cave. If the live meat thing gives me any further clues, let me know.

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    Una looks around at the hoof marks to see where the donkeys went.

Perception: 1d20+10 20

daniant on
    edited May 2010
    For those with Perception over 20:
    Almost completely wiped out from the dragged donkeys, you can still barely make out what look like footprints of those who drug them. They look like human feet, completely bare, and with occasional missing toes. You also see some large, dog or wolf-like tracks intermixed with them.

If you're moving in on the cave, you can reference the map at this point and say where your characters are positioned. At Perception 20, you think you can make out some small sounds of movement coming from in there, but you're not sure.

Map:
    pub?id=1grLt7YCvAP63OaE2yOxnDjlnx9MeU2NjTKpbiATcGVU&w=1646&h=1664

susan on
    edited May 2010
    "Come on, lads! It looks like our men might be in trouble! I'll take the front!"

I'll move up to the mouth of the cave, H 16, waiting for others to form up.

Also can we move our own tokens yet, or are you still working on that?

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Yep, you should be able to move them. The image I posted above automatically updates every time the root document is saved, so it should occur automatically. Emphasis on "Should". Let me know if it doesn't.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    Hmm...I moved myself to H16 on the map, but it hasn't changed here. Maybe it just takes a little time.

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    It just updated on my end, it would appear to be working :) . Takes a couple minutes to buffer, but that's fine.

susan on
    edited May 2010
    I would like to be at G17, please.

daniant on
    edited May 2010
    "We should be careful- an animal is always most dangerous in its own lair- especially since whatever these are seem to be intelligent." Aurora prowls to the mouth of the cave, intent on her surroundings and ready to react at a pin's drop.

H17 please!

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    I cannae see the map at work, but I'll take point or side-by-side with someone taking point.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Sarak eases past his companions at the cave's entrance following alongside the wall of the tunnel to blend in with the shadows, scanning the darkness ahead for whatever is inside the cave.

I'll move up to N16. Let me know if I can take ten or if you need me to make stealth checks. How dark is it in the cave?

Kelor on