As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB ports not working

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
This has been a long-time issue but I haven't really felt like tackling it until now. Basically, all the USB ports on my PC don't seem to work. I checked the BIOS (it's an ASUS motherboard, if that helps), and they're all on...as well as legacy and USB 2.0. Not really sure what to do now.

I'm running Windows XP, Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz, 2gb of RAM.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does any thing show up in device manager when you plug it into the usb ports? Have you make sure to intsall all the drivers for your motherboard in windows?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are the ports you're using specifically USB 1.0/1.1 format? Some PCs have the front ports set up as 1.0/1.1. If they're on the back, they should definitely be 2.0

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm using only the back ports, and at one point they accepted USB 2.0. Not really sure what happened.

MoSiAc: I actually haven't checked that recently, but if I recall correctly they show up as a question mark. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sorry to raise this from the dead.

I played around with my USB mouse. Currently it's attached through a USB converter, which works, but if I put it directly into a USB port it doesn't. The mouse still shows up in the device manager (and also shows up when it isn't installed). I tried uninstalling the drivers and rebooting to see what would happen, but nothing changed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Assuming you don't have any USB Root Hubs or Host Controllers showing up with that yellow question mark indicating no drivers, you can try disabling the power management on them.

Go to Device Manager -> USB Controllers and open the properties for each USB Root Hub device. Go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the option to Allow the Computer to Turn Off the Device.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What do you do if your USB root hub is showing the yellow question mark? Is my 4 1/2 year-old Acer finally experiencing a hardware failure? It recognizes my mouse and one of my external HDDs, but not the other.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I actually had three of four USB ports on my old machine that had an Abit board go dead on me, as in, broken.

I solved that by just getting a hub, though I never did actually figure out why they died.

But don't discount that they may have just finally bit the dust.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Finally" is not the right word, as this PC is about 2 years old.

I tried disabling power management, which was on, but the devices still don't work.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think ransim was addressing me.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.