As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Belruel's anatomy studies and such (NSFW)

BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKSRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hullo intimidating artist's corner. I've been trying to improve my anatomy, because mine can be a bit crap sometimes, and I have been avoiding giving it serious consideration, and that's bad. These are a few studies I did tonight, about half an hour each give or take a bit. Posted in the order I did them. referenced off of posemaniacs.com

These made me realize how much I need to do some hand/feet studies, which I'll do some painful work with tomorrow.

striding.png

ballarinas.png

diving.png
sorry about the absolute crap diving board on this one, I didn't realize how horrid it was until I uploaded it. If I take this sketch any further I'll rework it entirely.

and here's a silly something I did yesterday, I don't remember where I grabbed that moon brush from.

signat-1.png

vmn6rftb232b.png
Belruel on

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    these arent bad..you have a pretty good grasp of the general forms and rythms. Id be interested to see you draw a mannequin type figure in a pose completely from imagination and no reference. the specifc anatomy.. is just memorizing origins and insertions and muscle groups and how they wedge into one another/layer. Learning what the latin/greek whateer words for the muscles meant helped it stick more for me.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried breaking down the body into its component pieces?

Someone in here told me that the best way to study anatomy was to be aware of the construction of the thing you're studying. That if you know the inner workings of what you're drawing, you can draw it from any angle.

So start somewhere. The arm, maybe. Work out the skeleton, memorize names (it's helped me), work on laying the individual muscles over the bones one at a time, briefly researching their functions, whether they flex or extend, where they originate, where they end, and so forth.

This is what I'm doing. (for what it's worth, I feel a lot better having done it)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah, I have had difficulty learning how to add proportional (and anatomically correct) muscle mass to my drawings.

By mannequin type figure do you mean one of those wooden artist's doll things?

edit- t dirty vagrant- that is a great idea, I'll work on that.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Take a look at the tutorials in here: http://pa-artistcorner.deviantart.com/favourites/?38652335

Coelasquid's tutorials are the best in the fucking world (I'm exaggerating, but yes they're really well done), and the hands tutorial is also perty gewd.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no I meant mannequin like what you have above.. Sans unescessary detail for just communicating the basics..

Those wooden dolls dont look anything like people..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I was gonna say that I hate those wooden dolls.

I'll doodle up some unreferenced stuff in a bit.

I'll definitely give those tutorials a looksee paradise, thanks for pointing them out to me.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    here's a figure from memory, no references as kenn requested. She didn't start out as wonder woman, it just kind of ended up that way.

wonderwoman.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    itd help you alot if during your constuction stage you drew simple form shapes all the way though rather than just the outline or 2d shape. for example treat the ribcage as an egg (once you are more familiar with the shape of a ribcage..use a generalized version of it.) and draw form lines that give you a feel for the mass and dimensions of the egg. It really helps you relate opposing sides of the outline when you get to that point.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been sketching a lot, but not many things I have been very happy with.

this is something I am working on tonight, I need to do a lot of work with the arm held forward, if anyone can help me with the hands and that arm I'd love that.

aangwithflap.png

these are a few other sketches I've done for friends (their own characters and such) and a few of my own just for fun.

muscles.png

kewt2.png

some narutos cat lady
    catnarutos.png

mask.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For Aang, I suggest you find a friend, tell them how to hold their arms, snap a photograph, and draw from that.

I can't really offer much in the way of criticism. Try to draw more confident lines (I'm not one to talk, I know), and keep practicing. What's helped me lately is trying to draw things in perspective. Cubes and rectangles of different shapes and sizes from different angles.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Your legs are too long and don't feel like one concrete support unit. They're not offering the stability and balance one needs in order to make a convincing pose.

In general your characters don't feel "tight", in a sense that it seems like one entity rather than separate body parts strung together. You want the anatomy to gel together, not seem like "Here's an arm! And a torso! Now the left leg, and then the right leg!"

Nail your structure down before moving on to the details; every one of these characters seem too cardboard cut-out and could be bowled over with a stiff breeze.

Godfather on