Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Lost Season 6] Is Over Now. SPOILERS ABOUND

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
LostSeason6.jpg

Lost Season 6
Season Finale Details: SUNDAY MAY 23 STARTING AT 7|6c


Seasons 1-5 are available for free on Hulu.com
http://www.hulu.com/lost

Old Lost threads: (Prepare to be SKULLFUCKED by Spoilers)
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111145
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114293


Put All FUTURE EPISODE SPOILERS in Spoiler Tags!




RULES REGARDING SPOILERS


DO NOT spoiler anything that has already happened. If you aren't up to date with this series, this is not the thread for you.

DO NOT spoiler speculation.

DO spoiler any confirmed knowledge of future events, including interviews that talk about future stuff, images or videos from future episodes, or any other stuff that YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN is going to happen.

Lucascraft on
«13456763

Posts

  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll miss Kate the most.

    sig.gif

    2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As much as I'm still enjoying Lost, I think it's time for the series to come to an end - not least because I'm curious to see people like Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn in other things.

    Eagles on Pogo Sticks: Musings of a Goofy Beast
    http://goofybeast.wordpress.com
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hell, I'd settle for seeing Michael Emerson in Lost. He hasn't been in it in like 5 episodes.

  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm very interested to see what Emerson does after Lost. Hell, he should just start doing books-on-CD. It certainly would make road trips seem more intense/riveting.

    scornsig.jpg
  • claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm very interested to see what Emerson does after Lost. Hell, he should just start doing books-on-CD. It certainly would make road trips seem more intense/riveting.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/21/michael-emerson-reads-lit_n_189662.html

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Micheal Emerson is awesome. I cannot wait to see him in more stuff.


    I want to know if there's any significance to certain people being able to see dead people. Like, if they'll explain why that is, or if it's just a supernatural ability they have.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really want some network to pick up that proposed O'Quinn/Emerson suburban secret hitman show idea.

    camo_sig2.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm very interested to see what Emerson does after Lost. Hell, he should just start doing books-on-CD. It certainly would make road trips seem more intense/riveting.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/21/michael-emerson-reads-lit_n_189662.html

    I knew that would get linked within five post of me mentioning something along those lines. :lol:

    scornsig.jpg
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User
    edited May 2010
    lets all be honest here.
    Spoiler:

    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    lets all be honest here.
    Spoiler:

    The island isn't done with you yet?

    Marge Simpson: You liked "Rashomon".
    Homer Simpson: That's not how I remember it.
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm very interested to see what Emerson does after Lost. Hell, he should just start doing books-on-CD. It certainly would make road trips seem more intense/riveting.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/21/michael-emerson-reads-lit_n_189662.html

    I knew that would get linked within five post of me mentioning something along those lines. :lol:

    I'm waiting for the complete DVD collection of Michael Emerson reading children stories.

    "Bedtime has never been... creepier."

    steam_sig.png
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Island has crazy powers so it jumps and time travels.
    This is not an answer. Why does it have crazy powers?
    Sideways, we don't know about yet. It will come up in the finale.

    Smoke Monster came from MIB going into the light. More will come on this later.
    This is not an answer. Why did the light turn him into the smoke monster? Why is the light there?
    The Others are the people Jacob brought to the Island. They are there apparently to prove something to MIB about people being good.
    I will partially conceed this one, but the explanation is a bit disjoint from their actions. He brought them to the island to show they can be good but they are colossal dicks to the flight 815 people until they are threatened by the people from the freighter. This really makes the explanation of why they are there seem a bit ham-fisted.
    The Island heals people it has a use for or likes.
    This is not really an answer. This is just Deus ex machina unless in the last two episodes they explain why the island likes certain people or why the MiB decides not to kill certain people.

    You guys need to learn the difference between an answer and an answer that just brings up more questions. They are solving mysteries with other mysteries.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User
    edited May 2010
    So... are we really accepting that the whole Jacob/Adam storyline didn't start with anything epic and awesome but was really just based on CrazyMom being crazy and possessive?

    I mean I was hoping to see some sort of epic good versus evil, free will versus fate, something big thematically. Instead we've got a mom who likes one kid more than the other, but then that kid runs off. She cold shoulders him for 30 years and then kills all of his buddies because he was leaving with some... light. In soap opera response, he kills his mom. In soap opera response, Jacob kills his brother.

    And suddenly, we have an island protector and Smokey. But it just doesn't feel... epic. It feels like lame family feuding.

  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote:
    They are all answers. It's sci-fi/fantasy fiction. It's always gonna be turtles all the way down. Get the fuck over it.

    What kind of answers did you expect?

    The sky is blue because I like spagehtti.

    That answer is about as useful and connected as "Where did the smoke monster come from? A magic light hole."

    Other sci-fi shows have managed to explain important questions without raising other questions. Take firefly for example. Where did the reavers come from? They managed to answer that without using goddamn magic all the way down.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This show isn't a detective story or a math problem. It doesn't really require the type of answers you seem to be asking for.

    Filling in the blanks yourself is supposed to be part of the fun, not a failure to spoon-feed you every single explanation.

    kravensig.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys need to learn the difference between an answer and an answer that just brings up more questions. They are solving mysteries with other mysteries.
    True, but at the same time certain mysteries can be the premise of the show. Arguably, "Why does the island have these powers?" is a non-starter because that's the premise - the island has powers, full stop. IMO there is a difference in kind between "Why does the island have such powers?" and "Why did it choose the 815ers?" The latter actually tells us something about the ramifications of what we've seen so far, whereas the former is basically the backdrop. Doesn't mean that it can't be interesting, but not every question mark is a mystery that needs to be resolved - it's a legitimate storytelling device to leave certain things open. It's when the series has strung us along, going "Aren't you wondering about X? Well, just to make things worse, let's make that issue even more mysterious!", that I think the audience is entitled to expect answers. It's when the writers go from "Oooh, mystery!" to "Actually, this is just a red herring, nothing to see here, move along," that I think viewers are justified in being ticked off with the writers.

    Cognisseur wrote: »
    I mean I was hoping to see some sort of epic good versus evil, free will versus fate, something big thematically. Instead we've got a mom who likes one kid more than the other, but then that kid runs off. She cold shoulders him for 30 years and then kills all of his buddies because he was leaving with some... light. In soap opera response, he kills his mom. In soap opera response, Jacob kills his brother.
    Dunno - to me that reads like a lot of mythology - added to which, anything epic that isn't grounded in the personal has the risk of becoming distant and abstract. I don't care about humanity in Lost, because I haven't met them, I haven't followed their story. I care about Jack, Sawyer, Locke etc., because I've come to know them. If the backstory for Jacob et al. fails, IMO it's not because it isn't epic enough - it's because we don't care all that much about Blackie and Jacob and/or the backstory is badly told.

    Eagles on Pogo Sticks: Musings of a Goofy Beast
    http://goofybeast.wordpress.com
  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    lets all be honest here.
    Spoiler:

    The forum isn't done with you yet?

    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    And suddenly, we have an island protector and Smokey. But it just doesn't feel... epic. It feels like lame family feuding.

    The disputing theme of the "feud" is based on one of the fundamental questions about the nature of man. Pretty epic to me.

    kravensig.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    This show isn't a detective story or a math problem.

    What? I don't even understand. That is precisely what this show is. Sure, it's a bullshit mystery where the writers change the rules every season, but a significant factor in this show's fame is still definitely in acting like it's a 'detective story'.

    Every week, we sit here speculating, weighing evidence, comparing events and characters across episodes and seasons, all in the effort of trying to make sense of all this madness.

    Every week, the writers drop us subtle clues about this or that, and we think the clues help us to connect the pieces to this puzzle and see the big picture.

    Do I have a different perception of what you mean by 'detective story' or do you disagree with what I'm saying in my post?

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's not deus ex machina so much as deus ex the beginning of the story when it was apparent that the island was magical

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think he means "detective story" like a procedural... like House, Law & Order, Bones.

    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    This show isn't a detective story or a math problem.

    What? I don't even understand. That is precisely what this show is. Sure, it's a bullshit mystery where the writers change the rules every season, but a significant factor in this show's fame is still definitely in acting like it's a 'detective story'.

    Every week, we sit here speculating, weighing evidence, comparing events and characters across episodes and seasons, all in the effort of trying to make sense of all this madness.

    Every week, the writers drop us subtle clues about this or that, and we think the clues help us to connect the pieces to this puzzle and see the big picture.

    Do I have a different perception of what you mean by 'detective story' or do you disagree with what I'm saying in my post?

    Solving a question about humanity and the events on a magic island is not the same as solving a crime. The scope is too broad, detective stories are smaller mysteries with tangible evidence is what I'm saying.

    kravensig.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If Widmore was played by Andy Griffith, would it work for you?

    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys! Just 10 days till ABC announces Lost 2: smokey boogaloo.

    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    it's not deus ex machina so much as deus ex the beginning of the story when it was apparent that the island was magical

    I'm fine with a magic premise as long as they don't say "hey we are going to explain things" and then explain those things with more magic. You can make a story that includes magic and still have it internally consistent and coherent.

    Edit: Also the premise in season 1 was not "this show is about shit tons of mythology and magic". It was drama oriented around people stuck on an island that does a few wacky things. Then the wacky things just seem to grow. To me and most other people i've talked to they describe it as "tricking people into watching sci-fi" because it didn't seem like most sci-fi at the outset.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We already answered the question of "is the show about mysteries." The answer is that yes, the show is in part about mysteries, and how they drive the characters. The show is a hundred thousand red herrings that hint at a mystery, where the writers haven't really bothered to create an answer to any of the mysteries. This drives the show and the viewership to enjoy speculating endlessly, and actually makes it easier to keep fans because those fans can never stop speculating. There is no answer, the writers never created one. Everything is a mystery, magic question just because it seems cool.

    What we are now arguing is, "Why does this satisfy/not satisfy me, and do I think this SHOULD be satisfying to other viewers?"

    I think it's fucking terrible. However, the results don't lie. People love this shit, like they love candy. The show is, in fact, television candy. It has no nutritional value, it doesn't actually bring anything to the table, but goddamn, the viewership finds it delicious.

    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

    Solving a question about humanity and the events on a magic island is not the same as solving a crime. The scope is too broad, detective stories are smaller mysteries with tangible evidence is what I'm saying.

    Then I guess I'm having difficulty seeing why only shows with smaller tangible mysteries deserve answers.

    When the writers write shit like "Walt is really special" it is done specifically so that we, the audience, will go "Oh yeah? Please tell us how!". Part of this relationship is that the writers then do tell us how.

    I mean, that doesn't apply to every mystery in every sci-fi because some things are meant to be taken for granted, but those topics are approached differently. If the characters in Firefly spent the entire season thinking aloud "man, I wonder why Christianity became so much less popular over time", I'd expect some damn answers. Since they didn't bring that up, I let it slide.

    With Lost, that's a lot more difficult because the characters are supposed to be like us. So anything 'sci-fi', they rightfully point out as being weird just like we do. When people heal fast, when Smokey eats people, these things are noted. And part of the relationship we have with the writers is that an attempt is made to explain these things.

    This isn't an unknown concept to our writers. They do try to explain the mysteries. Some explanations make sense. Hey, who were those Adam and Eve folks with their little pebbles? Bam! Here's who they were. Other explanations are utter crap, however. Hey, how come Smokey is so magical? Majick!

    That's not a good explanation, and it's kind of weak to respond with "well, it's not the writers job to explain the mysteries of this universe to us. That's not the sort of show it is". I feel that it very much is that kind of show, but that the writers just don't pull off their explanations very well at times.

  • DeebaserDeebaser Lead Frog Rammer Fake Board GamerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkwolfe, you've summed up my thoughts on this 100%.

    http://i.imgur.com/SVLUjAW.png
    Vanguard wrote: »
    ...poetry is actually the worst
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think it's fucking terrible. However, the results don't lie. People love this shit, like they love candy. The show is, in fact, television candy. It has no nutritional value, it doesn't actually bring anything to the table, but goddamn, the viewership finds it delicious.

    You seemed to have eluded to the fact that you haven't watched the show in the last thread, but I didn't get a confirmation. If you've watched the show and don't like it, cool, but if you're basing this opinion on hearing people talk about it, or reading wikipedia or something, you're full of shit in your assumption that the whole of the show has no value.

    kravensig.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote:
    They are all answers. It's sci-fi/fantasy fiction. It's always gonna be turtles all the way down. Get the fuck over it.

    What kind of answers did you expect?

    The sky is blue because I like spagehtti.

    That answer is about as useful and connected as "Where did the smoke monster come from? A magic light hole."

    Other sci-fi shows have managed to explain important questions without raising other questions. Take firefly for example. Where did the reavers come from? They managed to answer that without using goddamn magic all the way down.

    No they didn't.

    What kind of drug causes that kidn of effect?

    A magic drug!

    What kind of Island heals people?

    A magic Island!

    Same shit, different show.



    And seriously, what kind of answer were you expecting that was gonna explain a cancer healing Island where 2 different people talk to the dead in 2 different ways?

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    We already answered the question of "is the show about mysteries." The answer is that yes, the show is in part about mysteries, and how they drive the characters. The show is a hundred thousand red herrings that hint at a mystery, where the writers haven't really bothered to create an answer to any of the mysteries. This drives the show and the viewership to enjoy speculating endlessly, and actually makes it easier to keep fans because those fans can never stop speculating. There is no answer, the writers never created one. Everything is a mystery, magic question just because it seems cool.

    What we are now arguing is, "Why does this satisfy/not satisfy me, and do I think this SHOULD be satisfying to other viewers?"

    I think it's fucking terrible. However, the results don't lie. People love this shit, like they love candy. The show is, in fact, television candy. It has no nutritional value, it doesn't actually bring anything to the table, but goddamn, the viewership finds it delicious.

    I'm sorry, but this sentiment is clearly just being either spoken from a position of ignorance, or you're just entirely missing large chunks of things.

    "Jersey Shore" is fucking candy. Lost requires you to actually think about what is going on. Lost's characters and various plotlines are nearly all incredibly deep individuals. No one ever sits down and tells you that Ben tried to make Alex his daughter and wanted to live in these nice Dharma houses with his nice other friends because his father was a total prick, it is gradually revealed and you see his motivations for being such a scary motherfucker at first. Go look at other shows on television in the past. Lost is one of the very few to present a story of this magnitude, and one of the only ones to do it exceptionally well. It is a story with a thousand hidden nuances, themes, and god knows what else.

    Seriously, it's just wrong to say the show is awful, yet fun. It's a very well put together story. Wether the ending will be satisfying and make it all cohesive, we don't know and can't argue about yet. So all you people bitching about not having answers...stop it? You'll get them soon!

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't joke-spoiler either, please.

    Anyway, as some of us said in the last thread, I think that part of the point was to generate a lot of hype and interest and loyalty to the show by creating intriguing mystery, and playing up the enigmatic nature of the show and the promise of revelation, not only in how the show itself was presented, but in ARGs and the promos and interviews with the creators and all that ...full stop. In other words, assuming one has achieved the above, the primary objective is accomplished, and it is not necessary to answer the enigmas and mysteries to any particular degree or with any particular level of flair. Convince the audience they don't really want answers, or tell them to come up with their own answers, or tell them you just didn't have time, or whatever. If you've created a critically acclaimed huge hit of a show either way, does it really matter? We sort of address this in the other thread about whether there can be unethical behavior in how one chooses to present a story.

    It's a jab at the narrative itself. The "narrative fallacy" is a logical fallacy inherent in the way our minds work, such that we tend to preceive things as more meaningful and/or accurate if they fit a structured story, and less so if they don't. But scientifically this isn't true, sometimes something can be meaningful and important without fitting a structured narrative. Rather, regardless of whether it fits a structured narrative or not.

    Yeah, myself and others are likely to feel hornswaggled, but were we not entertained nevertheless? On the other hand, others are likely to argue that there is nothing unusual here - that people are just expecting too much, or that the explanations are all right there and no different than what any other mystery/supernatural show might give you. I think that's just buyer's remorse clouding your reason, personally. The least of reasons being that the producers specifically stated that there was nothing supernatural in the show and everything had a scientific explanation. But I'm still confident that I don't gain anything anymore in proving how the show is precisely what I claim it is.

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a huge difference between Lost and a detective show is there is no detective! we are wondering about the mysteries, where as the characters act a lot on faith, and a lot on self interest/survival rather than learning about the island.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote:
    They are all answers. It's sci-fi/fantasy fiction. It's always gonna be turtles all the way down. Get the fuck over it.

    What kind of answers did you expect?

    The sky is blue because I like spagehtti.

    That answer is about as useful and connected as "Where did the smoke monster come from? A magic light hole."

    Other sci-fi shows have managed to explain important questions without raising other questions. Take firefly for example. Where did the reavers come from? They managed to answer that without using goddamn magic all the way down.

    No they didn't.

    What kind of drug causes that kidn of effect?

    A magic drug!

    What kind of Island heals people?

    A magic Island!

    Same shit, different show.



    And seriously, what kind of answer were you expecting that was gonna explain a cancer healing Island where 2 different people talk to the dead in 2 different ways?

    What? No.

    Seriously, one is creating fiction based on reality. The other is creating fiction based on magic.

    Your argument would mean that no work of fiction can be considered more plausible then another, because they are both things that arent real. Firefly did an excellent job explaining where the reavers came from, and not only that, but they explained it in a compelling way and made it have very big ramifications to the current story.

    Not that I need my island to be explained, thats something I never expected. But to say magic island is the same as futuristic drug is just silly.

    616610-1.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote:
    They are all answers. It's sci-fi/fantasy fiction. It's always gonna be turtles all the way down. Get the fuck over it.

    What kind of answers did you expect?

    The sky is blue because I like spagehtti.

    That answer is about as useful and connected as "Where did the smoke monster come from? A magic light hole."

    Other sci-fi shows have managed to explain important questions without raising other questions. Take firefly for example. Where did the reavers come from? They managed to answer that without using goddamn magic all the way down.

    No they didn't.

    What kind of drug causes that kidn of effect?

    A magic drug!

    What kind of Island heals people?

    A magic Island!

    Same shit, different show.



    And seriously, what kind of answer were you expecting that was gonna explain a cancer healing Island where 2 different people talk to the dead in 2 different ways?

    What? No.

    Seriously, one is creating fiction based on reality. The other is creating fiction based on magic.

    Your argument would mean that no work of fiction can be considered more plausible then another, because they are both things that arent real. Firefly did an excellent job explaining where the reavers came from, and not only that, but they explained it in a compelling way and made it have very big ramifications to the current story.

    Not that I need my island to be explained, thats something I never expected. But to say magic island is the same as futuristic drug is just silly.

    How are they different?

    How is one bit of pseudo-science bullshit different from another?

  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can make a story that includes magic and still have it internally consistent and coherent.
    Lost has never failed at internal consistency or coherence. The events involving the islands powers have always been an unknowable force to the characters. Some have interpreted it different ways.

    Stop making claims without a basis to make them on. That's all your(DarkWolfe as well) arguments boil down to.

    All of these arguments being made are incredibly circular. It's all going back to "I don't like this". Sorry, but that isn't a valid criticism. People have yet to prove through any rational discourse why the way things have been answered is bad. There's been some stupid theories on audience manipulation(though these have no rational basis either) and various other claims.

    It's becoming political rhetoric basically.

    No museum needs another upside-down toilet bowl once it has one.
  • r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    killamajig wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just 10 days till ABC announces Lost 2: smokey boogaloo.
    I hope the end of Lost means that ABC is going to put some faith in those writers to create something new. If it bombs, it bombs, but at least they're trying to put out a quality product. Unlike NBC and Heroes where they clearly forced the show to go too long and made concessions to keep characters around who people liked but it made no sense to.

  • pablo_pricepablo_price Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the problem some people are having is that we were specifically told that everything had a rational (or at least a rational, lite scifi) explanation. Throwing someone into a cave and having his consciousness become a shape-shifting pillar of malevolent black smoke is not a rational explanation, it's magic.
    It's a cheat, and it's easy for me to understand why so many people are upset. Every season has moved the goalposts, and it's disappointing that this season moved them next to some unicorns.

    That said, I believe that the showrunners are making the show they've wanted to all along and have, in fact, been planning things for a while, even though they obviously weren't at the beginning. Given that, I expect the finale to be satisfying and entertaining. They would have to try pretty hard to retroactively taint the entire show the way the BSG finale did.

    Steam / Xbox Live / Rock Band DLC / WoW: Allanna, Kolii
    SWTOR: Allanna (Shadowlands) / TSW: Sara-Luna
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    @Shryke: One has ramifications for the story, the characters, the universe at large. The other doesn't.

    However, as I wrote earlier, I think they're different in kind: the Reavers being created by an Alliance plan gone awry is a plot development. The island being magic is Lost's premise. The former makes the fictional universe more complex; the latter is what most of the plot flows from.


    Edit: I get the impression that as Lost is getting closer to an end, some people turn into Lost apologists, whereas others are so disappointed that everything the series does is wrong. Personally, I still think it's greatly enjoyable to watch, but right now I think it's fair to say that there was some bad planning along the way. Some plot holes (that mostly aren't all that important, although some were played up to *seem* important in previous seasons) do seem to be of the "Oops, let's hope the viewers forget about that one..." kind, and it's legitimate to gripe about them; with others it's silly to expect an explanation, because it would be "It's turtles all the way down." IMO the reason why the island is magical is a turtles question. Doesn't mean that all of them are.

    Eagles on Pogo Sticks: Musings of a Goofy Beast
    http://goofybeast.wordpress.com
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When have they ever said there will be a rational explanation for everything? I asked this before and didn't get an answer. I could be wrong, as I don't remember them ever saying this, but I guess they could've. Let's say it's true though, then people are getting that upset at broken expectations? Then onto just trying to deride the show with their own cognitive bias. I guess it's understandable, but in my mind I can't imagine ever getting that bent out of shape over something like this.
    The island being magic is Lost's premise.
    Hmm, I disagree. I would say that the concept of being 'Lost' is what drives the plot. Whether it's physically, mentally, or spiritually, this is above all what has been driving characters and events. This recent episode was a good example. Jacob and his brother both had this evident in their characters. Adam felt disconnected from his own identity and was searching outwards. Jacob felt his identity relied on his mother and home, and was scared he would become lost without them, this is what drove him ultimately to do what he did to his brother. I think the island is sort of a central location for the characters to begin a path to self discovery, but not necessarily the beginning or the end.

    No museum needs another upside-down toilet bowl once it has one.
«13456763
Sign In or Register to comment.