Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Free backup software?

Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
I'm not looking to create disc images, or automated restoration, or anything fancy. I'd just like a program that will look at the folders and files I have in one location, and copy over to another disc whenever a change is noted. If it can do this for multiple locations to multiple discs, that would be fantastic.

Essentially, I want something that duplicates the function of a RAID 1 array using software, since my motherboard doesn't support RAID arrays.

Bionic Monkey on
sig_megas_armed.jpg

• ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure if a solution exists that doesn't involve the cloud.

Bioptic wrote: »
    Lemmings was pro-Communist propeganda. All are created equal, sorted into specific jobs and roles that they will hold for the rest of their lives by a higher authority, and must sacrifice continuously for the good of the group. Success is measured by meeting quotas and nothing else. Also, nuclear holocaust.
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Live Mesh or Sync Toy.

Live Mesh can do it in real time and has a cloud back up option.

• K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try dropbox you get a couple of gigs of storage for free. I use it to sync files between work and home. It works for any kind of OS as well as iPhone and Android.

139892.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's tons of freeware that do this exact thing.

google "synchronize folders" and pick one or just head over to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en and use robocopy. Pretty sure there is a gui available for it as well, somewhere.

roland even though you are just living life until ragnarok

us mortals have to deal
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    smokmnky wrote: »

I am going to have to 2nd this. At the computer repair shop I work, this is what we use when people want to backup to another hard drive. You can set it up to auto-backup whenever you want. It is just the best god damned system backup software out there.

We are in quite the gaming drought.
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What OS are you using? Linux can do RAID1 in software just fine, and is actually a good idea in some cases since it eliminates a point of failure.

A little googling around seems to indicate Windows 7 Professional+ can do software mirroring too.

You could also try scheduling a daily (or hourly, or whatever) sync using whatever rsync-like tools you have available (like deltacopy or robocopy), or maybe synctoy.

We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited May 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Cobian seems to be doing what I need it to; I just need to play around with the settings a bit more. Thanks guys.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone know a free alternative for OS X? Time machine is being buggy with network drives.

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Cobian seems to be doing what I need it to; I just need to play around with the settings a bit more. Thanks guys.

Yeah it's great for local disc copy. If you want cloud storage you generally have pay but dropbox is pretty awesome and they have iPhone/iPad apps