As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seeks wrote: »
    What I meant to do: Clear out the apt cache.

What I actually did (from / ): sudo rm * /var/cache/apt/archives

Whooooooops
    That's a pretty big fuckup considering the command is "sudo apt-get clean".

But I guess the keys were right next to each other or something.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup, fingers slipped. Silly, stupid fingers.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Played around with Gnome 3 a few days ago. It's actually not too bad; I quite like the consistency they've managed to bake into it. Can't say I'm too fond of the giant single-button title bars, though, and they committed the unforgivable sin of having shitty power options (I hope you want your computer to suspend when you close the lid, because you don't have any other choice).

I'm also just way too used to being able to immediately click on any open program. That whole 'overview' thing just to see what you've got running is annoying.

Anyway, I've updated the OP a bit. Incidentally, what are your guys' opinions on including other operating systems like Haiku or ReactOS? I can kinda justify the Unixen, but these others, I dunno.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never got to play around with Haiku much, it doesn't seem to like the NIC in either my computer or Virtualbox.

Is ReactOS still going and making progress? I've not heard anything out of them in a very long time.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yup, there was another release from them not too long ago. Still quite buggy, though.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there some way I can get something like Windows 7 start menu functionality into Ubuntu/Gnome these days?

I've gotten really used to just hitting the Windows key and typing what I want, and not having that in Ubuntu is really annoying.

The trouble seems to be that no one's really committing to the idea - Gnome Do seems to come closest but it's no longer being updated and is out of support?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Unity and Gnome 3 (I think) let you do that. KDE4 might as well. As for Gnome 2.3x, I think you're mostly out of luck. The closest I can think of is editing the search function in Mint's menu to just execute stuff, though of course you need to type in the entire command for that to work properly.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    PuddlesworthPuddlesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there some way I can get something like Windows 7 start menu functionality into Ubuntu/Gnome these days?

I've gotten really used to just hitting the Windows key and typing what I want, and not having that in Ubuntu is really annoying.

The trouble seems to be that no one's really committing to the idea - Gnome Do seems to come closest but it's no longer being updated and is out of support?

Cardapio and MintMenu spring to mind.

Puddlesworth on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

KDE 4's standard application launcher does this, along with Krunner and a few other standard utilities. The only problem is that you can't bind it to just the meta key, but alt+f1 works fine too, right?

edit: Also, I got Alpha Centauri to work on my netbook, I never need another computer again

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

That's basically the way i use the "run program" thing in Gnome (alt+f2 on my system, I can't remember if that's default). I just use tab to show me the available options with whatever I typed. Mintmenus pretty much the Windows 7 menu, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Kupfer works pretty much the same way as Gnome Do, but less pretty. You also have to monkey with it a little to get it to start new instances of applications instead of switching to already running instances. Also again, you can't just use super (the windows key). but super + space is surprisingly addictive.

Frem on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The dash in Unity does what you want, as someone already mentioned a few posts up, for both the super key and alt+f2. As for Gnome Do/Kupfer/Quicksilver type launchers, currently I'm using Synapse with the "doish" theme. Does the same thing as Do, but without Mono and the memory usage (written in Vala) and crashes, and it's powered by Zeitgeist. Wish it has a few more plugins, though.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I use kupfer, because I do most of my linux work in VMware now and that means no compositing which means no Gnome-Do.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any suggestions for really low power and low footprint OSs for an older netbook? I've been out of the Linux loop for a couple of years now.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I used Arch for a bit a few years ago and holy crap was I confused!

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would you prefer an ubuntu based system skoal?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Its what I'm used to. I currently have a version of Eeebuntu but the regular library updates have filled my 4GB SSD to the point that I can't update anymore. Its a bit silly.

edit: My Eee is no longer my main computer, so I'm more flexible in terms of user experience.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone recommend any webcam models/manufacturers with decent Ubuntu driver support?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices

That should give you an idea of what models you should look for.

bowen on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks. Those are basically the ones we were looking at anyway (Logitech and Creative) so that's good to know.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Any suggestions for really low power and low footprint OSs for an older netbook? I've been out of the Linux loop for a couple of years now.

I don't know how much 'production' you want from this netbook, but if it's something you don't use all the time, I'd recommend giving Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux a shot. Puppy's the better of the two.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for heavy, daily use however. It's mostly just good for web browsing, email, maybe text editing, stuff like that.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've decided to switch over to crunchbang permanently because it runs so much faster than Ubuntu on my laptop.

I'd like to update both Banshee and Rhythmbox to their latest versions. I already have time installed but what Debian has in the repos seems to be pretty far behind. What's the best way for me to go about this?

august on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is Crunchbang on unstable? Maybe you could switch to that. Otherwise.. Archbang.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does Debian support Ubuntu's PPA stuff? I'm sure you could use those.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm still pretty new to Linux, but yeah crunchbang is based off Squeeze which I guess is stable. I managed to add a repo for Doomsday Engine so it's kind of surprising to me I can't get a later version of either Banshee or Rhythmbox up and running. Maybe I'll switch back over to Ubuntu at the end of the month. But I'd rather not as I enjoy crunchbang's speed and aesthetic.

EDIT: Hmm, looks like Lubuntu might be for me. Wonder if I can get conky working and looking the same as in crunchbang.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yup, conky's pretty easy. Just make a backup of your .conkyrc and put it in your home directory after you've reinstalled Conky.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, hey. Post from yesterday that's been sitting open in a tab because the forum went down. Although it seems everyone else has already recommended the *bangs.
    Seeks wrote: »
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

I don't know how much 'production' you want from this netbook, but if it's something you don't use all the time, I'd recommend giving Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux a shot. Puppy's the better of the two.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for heavy, daily use however. It's mostly just good for web browsing, email, maybe text editing, stuff like that.

I recommend neither of them.

Puppy Linux appear to be trying to appeal to people who are running Windows 98 on their old Pentium IIs. To this end, it is not a multiuser system and (almost) everything runs as root. I can't get behind that.

DSL was nice, but it's pretty much unmaintained; the project owner had a disagreement with the guy who was doing most of the work on it. Said guy went on to produce Tiny Core Linux, which is more or less a roll-your-own version of DSL.

I second Arch Linux as being really great. It tends to be faster and have a lower memory footprint than Ubuntu. If getting everything setup is the issue, you might check out ArchBang.

I don't know what's been going on with it since the shift to Debian, but CrunchBang used to be pretty hot stuff. Also highly recommended.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention Slitaz. You thought DSL was small? This thing is 30 Mb. It's oriented towards desktop use; it's the author's primary operating system. And it's also seems to have a pretty decent community behind it.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couple of questions:

"Proposed" updates are pretty self explanatory, but what are "backports" exactly?

Also: I'm looking for a file in rhytmbox that contains all of my internet radio stations and podcast subscriptions. Assuming such a file exists, where would I find it? Where do application files of that type live in Linux?

august on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Could be the blind leading the blind but I've always seen backports as fairly up to date yet stable releases targeted at the next version number for your distro.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A backport is usually where they jam a shiny new feature into the older version, usually due to the newest being unstable, far out, or unwanted.

Ubuntu's kernel used to be filled with backports (and may still be) which caused all kinds of problems with compiling programs, for instance.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    Could be the blind leading the blind but I've always seen backports as fairly up to date yet stable releases targeted at the next version number for your distro.
    This is what they are for Ubuntu. Shit that will be in the next release, but compiled and made available for the version you're using. Not everything is made available, mind you.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    august wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

"Proposed" updates are pretty self explanatory, but what are "backports" exactly?

Also: I'm looking for a file in rhytmbox that contains all of my internet radio stations and podcast subscriptions. Assuming such a file exists, where would I find it? Where do application files of that type live in Linux?

Regarding your second question, a lot of the time configuration files for normal (non-root-accesses-required) stuff usually lives in your home directory somewhere. More specifically, in an appropriate subdirectory or hidden subdirectory. Hidden files/directories are preceded by a period in Linux/Unix land, and you can see these in a variety of ways. CTRL+H for most file managers, CTRL++ (I think) for Dolphin, ls -a in a terminal, etc.

Edit: Original, wrong answer:
    Anyway, as for your rhythmbox thing specifically, well... mine are at ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/playlists.xml. Yours is probably in the same place, though if it's not, try:

find ~ | fgrep rhythm | fgrep playlist

And that should spit out something useful.

Newer, more correct but less satisfying answer:

I don't think there's really a good way to manage podcasts with Rhythmbox, which is unfortunate. I found this thread about it, which may be helpful (but is also likely something you've already seen): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1257669

I'd recommend just using gpodder for podcasts, it's really quite good.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And on a different, more double-posty note, Ubuntu 11.04 and Slackware 13.37 are now both out in the wild.

Ubuntu 11.04

Slackware 13.37

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, Seeks!

Just tried out the Lubuntu 11.04 live cd. It gives me a command line instead of a desktop. Not encouraging.

august on
  • Options
    UrsaUrsa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My googlefu is currently failing me..

Anyone have any idea what I could use, if it's possible, (I'm assuming Squid but can't find anything relating to address filtering) that could forward http requests within one virtual host to specific local ports on the webserver?

Basically I need to forward requests :

incoming port 80 for the address www.example.com to 80
    incoming port 80 for the address www.example.com/example to 8083

Ursa on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how2-let-apache2-forward-the-request-to-another-web-server-on-another-machine-384894/

Something like that should work. Though squid could also work in theory, since it's basically a proxy.

bowen on
  • Options
    UrsaUrsa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Bowen, looks simple enough, I'll get cracking on the setup :)

Ursa on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, upgrading to the newest Ubuntu release cocked up Grub. Again. Ugh, this happens like every fucking time.

Daedalus on