As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft display issues on Windows 7

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to run Starcraft 1 on Win 7 and the colors are crrrrrazy! I tried right clicking and changing the program to display in 256 colors, to run as if on Windows XP, 98, as an administrator, nothing. I downloaded the latest patches and couldn't see anything in the support section of the site.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• Options
    GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I 've had this issue on Win7 as well - you need to kill explorer.exe before you start Starcraft and the colors should appear normal after that. I start StarCraft from a batch file to accomplish this:
    taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    start /wait "D:\Games\StarCraft\StarCraft.exe"
    pause
    start explorer.exe

This batch file will restart explorer.exe after StarCraft is done. Copy it into notepad, change the path to StarCraft.exe to wherever you have the game installed and save the file as StarCraft.cmd.

Only problem is that even with the corrected colors and all the latest greatest patches at least on x64 the game locks up randomly after 20-30 minutes of play. This is a common problem with Win7 from what my Google-Fu has been able to find.

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm... assume I don't know what it means to start a program from a batch file, what am I to do?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Create a text file with those exact lines and end the file extension with .bat then you double click it. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Wi11iamWi11iam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Step 1: Undo everything you have done so far. Return your Windows 7 to a normal state.

Step 2: Right click on your desktop and select "Screen Resolution", do not close window.

Step 3: Launch Starcraft 1.

Wi11iam on