As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I had to read The Poisonwood Bible my senior year. Fuck that book.

that's my summer reading for right now.

I got about 20 pages in and decided to go for sparknotes instead. was it you who advised me to stay away from that shit?

because thank you

Actually I think it was me.
    You're welcome.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A Clockwork Orange is really neat with its slang in that the end of the book is completely incomprehensible if you haven't gotten used to the slang by reading it from the beginning.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    the scarlet letter is literally the most boring book ever written
    i'm sure that award belongs to one of dickens' books

fuck you, Dickens is rad
    rad like a sunset that goes on for fifty pages and three chapters

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so I'm only 50 pages into Temeraire but it's pretty good so far, very fast moving

YaYa on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The worst book I read in high school was A Seperate Peace.

They're gay for each other, I get it. Let's move on with our lives.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god.

I forgot about A Separate Peace. We read that in 8th grade along with Stotan, which was also tremendously bad.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cry, The Beloved Country

and

Of Human Bondage.

Those were the other two I found the most torturous .

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I also didn't finish Les Miserables, which was probably the only book I didn't finish that I was supposed to.

I think we had to read some Dickens, as well, and I can't say that I'm a fan of people who get paid by the word.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    worst things i ever read in high school for class

a separate peace
    bless me, ultima
    ethan frome

favorite things
    animal farm
    shakespeare
    old man and the sea

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it depends what shakespeare

Merchant of Venice was rad, Romeo and Juliet was not

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, yeah, Shakespeare. I didn't read Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, or Hamlet all the way through. I liked being told about what the passages mean and the importance of the works and all this stuff, but I was no equipped to be reading Elizabethan English. Hell, I still aren't.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    canterbury tales was easily one of my favorite required reading books in high school

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    R&J has its place

macbeth
    hamlet
    caesar

they were all good to read. if i read along the same pace as the class i'm sure i would've hated it, like any time i have to read at other people's pace.

would've rather read something other than the tragedies

edit: and i kept my brit lit books from my lit class last fall semester because like PI said, reading some of that old language stuff is fucking hard and having something to read along with that points out what's important and definitions and meanings and stuff is very useful

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What, no love for Coriolanus?

Twelfth Night is my favourite comedy, but I think if you ever really want to appreciate Shakespeare you have to see it as well as read it.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In High School we read R&J, Hamlet, and Othello. I was also in the drama club's productions of Midsummer Night's Dream and Taming of the Shrew. I love Shakespeare.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From what I remember we had to read Catcher in the Rye, 1984, The Old Man and the Sea, Les Miserables, Animal Farm, Farenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, A Separate Peace, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Fin, The Call of the Wild, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, The Bridge Over Toko-Ri, To Kill a Mockingbird, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Catch 22, and a bunch of plays.

I have to say I liked most of them withe the exception of the ones I already read and The Grapes of Wrath.

I'd have to single out The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird as my favorite of the bunch (at least as far as stuff I had read for the first time).

My high school was pretty good about giving us decent books to read.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Twelfth Night is my favourite comedy, but I think if you ever really want to appreciate Shakespeare you have to see it as well as read it.

my shakespeare resume isn't as complete as i'd like it to be

meanwhile

hurry up and go read flashman, LS.

severely disappointed in you, missy.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    red badge of courage sucked

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I forgot about Animal Farm and Call of the Wild

love love love animal farm

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, and A Children's Story, which is one of the biggest rip-offs in literature. It takes twenty minutes to read and it costs seven bucks.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've only read a handful of Shakespeare's plays but Macbeth and Othello are probably my favorites. And I had some good times acting in my high school production of Romeo and Juliet, but reading it was not that great.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I took an AP English course where we read White Noise, Cold Mountain, and Cry The Beloved Country. Never came within two feet of Catcher in the Rye. I loved that class.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

my shakespeare resume isn't as complete as i'd like it to be

meanwhile

hurry up and go read flashman, LS.

severely disappointed in you, missy.

Okay! I'll read it next, you guys, I promise! I just have to finish at least one of the three books I'm already reading before I start something else.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And here I thought you had read all of the books! I'm so disillusioned!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    FLASH

AAAAAH-AAAAAAAAAAAH

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    and i may have heard something about people giving ole richard sharpe some lip

that won't stand

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It was Pip! I tried to stop him, but then he mumbled something about "coming up from the ranks."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And here I thought you had read all of the books! I'm so disillusioned!

I have read all of the books

All of the books there are ever

Except those ones.

(Flash! Ah-aaaaaah! He'll save every one of us!)

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i wouldn't like to be walloped upside the head with that contraption sgt harper carries

but i think that calls for it, don't you?

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to have to go with a "Yes."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FLASH

AAAAAH-AAAAAAAAAAAH

iphone-vs-android-no-flash.jpg

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I grabbed the first Temeraire book on the thread's recommendation and I don't care how silly it might be, it is really fun and light reading.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just finished The Magicians and I think I really liked it. For a kid who grew up loving in the Narnia books it hit a little bit too close to home.

Peen on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FLASH

AAAAAH-AAAAAAAAAAAH

iphone-vs-android-no-flash.jpg

this is excellent

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    So I grabbed the first Temeraire book on the thread's recommendation and I don't care how silly it might be, it is really fun and light reading.

I am waiting for Laurence to get his fucking ass kicked by the rest of the aviators

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm re-reading The Eaters of the Dead along with a non-fiction book Vikings! by Magnus Magnusson, which is the most perfectly titled Viking book by the most perfectly named author.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Vikings is pretty good. Shows how chilled out the Vikings were about a lot of things.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They get better and better. I'm on the last chapter of the fifth one and have been really impressed with how they've stayed consistently fun and interesting. So many characters get introduced over the series and they are all great. I love seeing how Temeraire develops as well, he has become such a dude.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    smof wrote: »

They get better and better. I'm on the last chapter of the fifth one and have been really impressed with how they've stayed consistently fun and interesting. So many characters get introduced over the series and they are all great. I love seeing how Temeraire develops as well, he has become such a dude.

I'm basically almost done with the first one already after starting it yesterday because I stayed up all night reading it. I had to stop during what I am assuming is the climax of the book because I had to go to work

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm re-reading The Eaters of the Dead along with a non-fiction book Vikings! by Magnus Magnusson, which is the most perfectly titled Viking book by the most perfectly named author.

I'm reading Warriors of the Way.

Been sitting on my closet floor for like 4 years and I decided Friday I'd read it. Viking books should never go unread.

Dead Legend on
This discussion has been closed.