As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TLH wrote: »
    I've never read Hemingway but I've always wanted to

is "For Whom The Bell Tolls" a good book to start with him

Depends if you're gonna read more of him.

If you plan on reading a deal more of Hemingway, flip to page 57 and pick up The Sun Also Rises, as it might only be up from there.

If you just want a taste of Hemingway, go to page 101 and read To Have and Have Not. A book that sounds a great deal like all his other books.

Or, you know, ignore this shit and chose your own adventure.

old man and the sea

A Farewell to Arms!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I managed to get in 100 pages of Catch-22, my favourite quote from the book so far
    "Sure, that's what I mean,' Doc Daneeka said. 'A little grease is what makes this world go round. One hand washes the other. Know what I mean? You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.'

Yossarian knew what he meant.

That's not what I meant,' Doc Daneeka said, as Yossarian began scratching his back."

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think there's a passage or nuance of that book that I don't love.

I don't think you've gotten to the Jeep ride yet at 100 pages, but oh man.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love anything involving major major major major

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I personally love when
    Miro fights the war for both sides at a profit

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I might re-read catch-22 next thanks to this thread

I just finished half the sky by nicholas kristof and sheryl wudunn.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    finally getting around to reading atlas shrugged. almost half-way through. damn that book it thick, and scary when one thinks about our current political/economical situation

i need to finish it so i can start star wars: new jedi order!
    NERD!

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    probably gonna reread the hobbit and dune this week

excited

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    probably gonna reread the hobbit and dune this week

excited

I need to reread the Hobbit since I just recently finished rereading The Lord of the Rings.

Also, I'm now on the third book of the Death Gate Cycle and I'm still liking it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I should reread the Hobbit.

It's been years and I love that book.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Hobbit is the best book in the whole series

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If you plan on reading a deal more of Hemingway, flip to page 57 and pick up The Sun Also Rises, as it might only be up from there.

If you just want a taste of Hemingway, go to page 101 and read To Have and Have Not. A book that sounds a great deal like all his other books.

old man and the sea

A Farewell to Arms!
    no, dl is right

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm currently reading On the Genealogy of Morals & Ecce Homo by Nietzsche.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I might go buy Candide now actually

YaYa on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's a great book.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am reading the new Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus because there are two book in there that i need to read

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just started The Night Watch (not pratchett) by some Russian guy that I can't be bother to go into the other room to get the book and tell you his name.

Just read The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett it's the sequal to The Ward Man (aka The Painted Man) which or both good new fantasy books.

Going to read The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan next, but I don't remember what it's about now.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Hobbit is the best book in the whole series

Nope, sorry, that's the Silmarillian.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just read Broom of the System, collection of essays by Michael Chabon and a collection of short stories

also just finished writing a 354-page novel maybe half an hour ago

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think there's a passage or nuance of that book that I don't love.

I don't think you've gotten to the Jeep ride yet at 100 pages, but oh man.

Yeah I loved that whole thing.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

old man and the sea

[strike]East. Of. Eden.[/strike]

F-Fiesta...?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no, old man and the sea is the best hemmingway book

this is science and not up for debate

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also, east of eden is steinbeck so.....

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    E: And then I was the retard.

For some reason I associate Hemingway with the Pearl, which is actually by Steinbeck and blurgh.

I will pay for this.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh also I'm going to read Ada or, Ardor as soon as I can get myself to a bookstore

need to pick up something else, too, haven't decided yet. Maybe something by Joyce Carol Oates, haven't read anything long by her yet. Or something by Mary Caponegro because she's my adviser and I ought to be on the level.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread reminded me I have to re-read Candide...

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am actually reading Candide right now!

also, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    whoa whoa whoa what?

someone actually enjoyed the scarlet letter???

You dislike it =/= everyone dislikes it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    no, old man and the sea is the best hemmingway book

this is science and not up for debate

True story: The Old Man and the Sea is the reason I spent years of my life hating Hemingway.

Well, one of the reasons, anyway.

Take that, Pip's science!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I recently finished The Forever War, Generation Kill and American Gods.

Somehow, American Gods is the first Neil Gaiman book I've read. I was thinking I should check out more of his stuff. Anyone have suggestions?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fragile Things.

Neverwhere.

The Graveyard Book.

Most of his stuff is pretty good.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I dig the hell out of Anansi Boys, and it's a follow-up of sorts to American Gods.

You could read that.

Fragile Things has a short story with Shadow in it.

Also let me recommend Stardust and Coraline and Good Omens if you're in the mood for a little co-author action.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    theclooferthecloofer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished Woken Furies and started The Brain that changes itself. Sci Fi to Sci Fact!

thecloofer on
    Pants are like gravity, they're only holding us down.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I dig the hell out of Anansi Boys, and it's a follow-up of sorts to American Gods.

You could read that.

Fragile Things has a short story with Shadow in it.

Also let me recommend Stardust and Coraline and Good Omens if you're in the mood for a little co-author action.

You reccomended a book about Japanese folklore a while ago but I can't find your post, I don't suppose you remember the title?

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Might it have been Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart?

It's Chinese rather than Japanese, which might be the cause of the confusion.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I finally finished The Thin Man

It had a rather anticlimactic ending! But it was funny

I just recently finished reading this too. I rather enjoyed it.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Might it have been Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart?

It's Chinese rather than Japanese, which might be the cause of the confusion.
    I really enjoyed all of Hughart's Master Li books. Bridge of Birds is probably the best, though.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How was
    512ndekfkvlss500.jpg

Looking for a good historical text to get back into Cuba. I've read most Cuban history but not that one.

Finished these recently:
    lamb-image-1.jpg

368-1.jpg

0060735422.jpg

Looking for some good philosophy. I'm pretty well read in religious philosophy, though a suggestion there would be appreciated as well. Im actually looking for a pulpy book to get me into Hobbes or some of the Germans. I like wittgenstein but his shit reads like a goddamn math problem. So something fun so when I read the source text I don't want to kill myself.

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Polecat wrote: »
    Looking for some good philosophy. I'm pretty well read in religious philosophy, though a suggestion there would be appreciated as well. Im actually looking for a pulpy book to get me into Hobbes or some of the Germans. I like wittgenstein but his shit reads like a goddamn math problem. So something fun so when I read the source text I don't want to kill myself.

What do you mean by 'some of the Germans'? Thats rather a broad range of writers.

You could read Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, which is short and easy to read, and will give you some background to read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, which is long and infamously difficult to read.

From Kant you can go to Schopenhauer, Nietsche, Hegel, whatever you want, really. If all of philosophy is a footnote to Plato, then all of modern philosophy is a footnote to the footnote about Kant.

But Wittgenstein is much later, and not exactly related to those writers - at least not directly. But if you like Wittgenstein then reading his early contemporaries - Bertrand Russell, GE Moore - might be interesting. Both of them are better writers than Witt., and both were as influential in setting the scene for the 20th Century's so-called 'analytic' philosophical tradition.

It depends what you're looking for, really, what you mean by 'some of the Germans'.

bongi on
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »

What do you mean by 'some of the Germans'? Thats rather a broad range of writers.

You could read Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, which is short and easy to read, and will give you some background to read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, which is long and infamously difficult to read.

From Kant you can go to Schopenhauer, Nietsche, Hegel, whatever you want, really. If all of philosophy is a footnote to Plato, then all of modern philosophy is a footnote to the footnote about Kant.

But Wittgenstein is much later, and not exactly related to those writers - at least not directly.

It depends what you're looking for, really.

This will really show my ignorance, but honestly all the philosophical texts I've read (besides the greeks) has been religious philosophy:

Give me a 2 sentence explanation of Kant's Philosophy. (Knowing that he is a starting point is pretty helpful)

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.