As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odd power cord

JeixJeix Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my girlfriend bought this little zotac computer and it came with a powercord that looks like the one at this site http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/power-cable/10w1-18206.htm

What do I do with the green wire?

Jeix on

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's a ground. In some places, there's a small screw in the socket you attach it to. You very rarely see that in the states anymore. I would see if a regular cord with a built in ground would work, instead of trying to use that cord.

badpoet on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Badpoet's right on.

The PC would probably work without the ground attached to anything, but I'd just get a spare standard powercord and use that instead. Everyone and their uncle has spare power supply cords, leftover from a dead monitor, or replaced PC, or printer, or switch, and so forth.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well it uses this odd three circle connector thing. I have one that matches from an old laptop but it says 125v 7A. And the one that came with the pc is 250v 10A.

Edit: On the power supply it says 100-250v~1.5A input.

Jeix on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jeix wrote: »
    Well it uses this odd three circle connector thing. I have one that matches from an old laptop but it says 125v 7A. And the one that came with the pc is 250v 10A.

Edit: On the power supply it says 100-250v~1.5A input.

The 3-circle connector sounds like a cloverleaf connector - fairly standard one on laptop power supplies. If you're old cable has the right connectors on it, it'll work fine too.

If you use the new cable, and don't have an earth terminal on your mains outlets, just tape up the green wire with some insulating tape or cut it off and make sure the bare end is covered with tape.

Spam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have identified the connector type as a mickey mouse connector according to some websites. I'm more worried about the numbers on the connectors being so different.

Jeix on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jeix wrote: »
    I have identified the connector type as a mickey mouse connector according to some websites. I'm more worried about the numbers on the connectors being so different.

That rating has nothing to do with the power cord. It refers to the voltage acceptable to the power supply that the cable connects to.

illig on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alright then, I guess I'll plug it in. Thanks guys.

Jeix on